Balls (Lake, Refurbs or Foundlings)

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Loosing a sub £2 ball I can live with; loosing a £3+ ball is too painful. A couple of years back I could buy 3 piece Z Star for that price; the world has changed. I have been looking at the (minefield) of lake balls and the like and asking myself - as 20 handciap hacker, loosing an average of 1 ball a round, should I buy those lake balls. And then there's the question of Lake, Refurbs or Foundlings. And then there's the question of - are they telling the truth; how can it be possible for there to be SO MANY ProV1's dargged out of lakes. AND, those advertised as being not lake balls but found in the grass, how come they are findinga dozen ProV1's in the grass and I never find any?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Loosing a sub £2 ball I can live with; loosing a £3+ ball is too painful. A couple of years back I could buy 3 piece Z Star for that price; the world has changed. I have been looking at the (minefield) of lake balls and the like and asking myself - as 20 handciap hacker, loosing an average of 1 ball a round, should I buy those lake balls. And then there's the question of Lake, Refurbs or Foundlings. And then there's the question of - are they telling the truth; how can it be possible for there to be SO MANY ProV1's dargged out of lakes. AND, those advertised as being not lake balls but found in the grass, how come they are findinga dozen ProV1's in the grass and I never find any?
Probably due to the standard of course they’re finding them on.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have very mixed quality batches of lake balls except when buying like new or pearl which have always been very good.

You can still buy really good 3 piece urethane balls at good prices

I can recommend these

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Srixon AD333 and Soft Feel at £20 and £19 a dozen if you buy 24 at Sports Direct. Both decent balls very good value.

srixon balls at SD.jpg

AD333 white are the same price.

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Used a Seed at Hoylake last week, the thing was impossible to lose - and boy did I make a determined effort.. :ROFLMAO:

For the money - I think they're great value. I'll generally lose a ball or two a round on average around our course - but happy to stand the financial loss that the Seed comes in at.

sjw

Visit site
Kirkland are £16 a dozen for a 3-piece urethane ball and I'd wager most people aren't good enough to be playing anything better.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Used to use Titleist lake balls from premierlakeballs.co.Uk. Very decent and have a discount code of plb5. I‘ve notice stock on all sites are lower these days though. As per above. Do not use refirbs!

I use seed balls these days and bought a load of their cheaper sd-15s for winter as they are quite good. Used sd-01s in summer

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Used a Seed at Hoylake last week, the thing was impossible to lose - and boy did I make a determined effort.. :ROFLMAO:

For the money - I think they're great value. I'll generally lose a ball or two a round on average around our course - but happy to stand the financial loss that the Seed comes in at.
I don’t usually like to agree with Mel 😘😁. But have to with Seed balls.

I’ve tested the 01 and 02 and they both performed exceptionally well.
The 02 appears to me to deliver a bit more spin on shorter shots. But I prefer the softer feel/sound of the 01.

I don’t think you can go far wrong with either.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I don’t usually like to agree with Mel 😘😁. But have to with Seed balls.

I’ve tested the 01 and 02 and they both performed exceptionally well.
The 02 appears to me to deliver a bit more spin on shorter shots. But I prefer the softer feel/sound of the 01.

I don’t think you can go far wrong with either.

I used one at Hoylake Bim, it's won me Open tickets for next year and £500 of The Open shop credit. I don't think there was one hole where it wasn't amongst the cabbage at some point, and a few times I thought it was a lost cause - only for it's little black and green face to be sat there in amongst the thick stuff, peering up at me as I was just about to declare it lost.
I've actually saved it as a memento of the day - and it'll go in mine and the youths golf golf memento cabinet when we eventually get one, along with the signed Pin Flag and a few other bits and bobs.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
E
I used one at Hoylake Bim, it's won me Open tickets for next year and £500 of The Open shop credit. I don't think there was one hole where it wasn't amongst the cabbage at some point, and a few times I thought it was a lost cause - only for it's little black and green face to be sat there in amongst the thick stuff, peering up at me as I was just about to declare it lost.
I've actually saved it as a memento of the day - and it'll go in mine and the youths golf golf memento cabinet when we eventually get one, along with the signed Pin Flag and a few other bits and bobs.
Thats awesome. £500 will buy some lovely merch.

Like I said. They are great balls. I’m a convert having used Titliest almost exclusively for years. I’ve bought a few dozen Seed to keep me going for a few rounds 🤣

I’ll use up my collection of Tour Speeds over the winter, but after that I’ll be back to the Seeds.