Lack of support for a Captain's Day

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can any club beat 14 players as the total entry for a Captain's Day? Was out early this morning at Sunbury and that was the sum total of people playing in it - two x 3-balls and two x 4-balls. Is this a new low?

D

Deleted member 15344

That certainly is a very poor attendance

Any idea on the reason ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Crazy time of year surely. Disappointing numbers but the obvious thing is to have it at the beginning of a season, April/May time. I have played at two golf clubs and Captain's Day is always rammed.

Don't forget, as well as potentially poor weather it is also half term week. Many golfers may be away with their families.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The AGM was only two weeks ago so the captain's year runs from October to September. Then apparently the notice sheet only went up six days ago. And I don't think he is apparently going to win any huge popularity contests either. But 14 could well be the lowest ever. I've played in these at other clubs which have had an entry of over 100.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why didn't he have his captains day next year in May or June ?!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
we had a captains charity day today, which had to be reorganised from a date 4 weeks ago (due to clashing with a swiftly arranged memorial day for a very popular club member). Was still more than 100 entrants at relatively short notice. 14 sounds embarassingly low

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Even if the captains year runs from October to September why not wait and have it during the tenure and when the weather is better? Seems bad planning but even then the support of the membership is atrocious.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had our captains day two weeks ago and most members were there to support it.
Our captaincy runs from November to October so the captains charity day is a final swan song for the outgoing captains and it's only a few weeks before the captains change over.
14 members bothering to turn up, bad timing both for it coinciding with the school holidays and being so close to the start of his captaincy does seem to have caused a very disappointing turn out.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Time of year plus other scheduling factors at play I think. Even 4 weeks ago is better than now as the end of September has got some decent weather in it.

Malton even managed more when it was going well, the last Captain didn't even get to have his day sadly :(

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
14! jeez we get more than that for a midweek winter roll up.

Our Captains day is the 1st fixture of the year, shotgun start and if your not fast your not getting a spot.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stupid time of the year to have it, that said still a very poor entry, the men at my club had a bogey competition today and had 140 entries.