Keeping your cool Vs Displaying your passion

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How do you guys act on the course? Are you all ice-man/woman or do you fist pump the good stuff, club-throw the bad?

Reason I ask is I played against a guy midweek and despite being down all match and scrambling and scratching to stay within touching distance, the moment I knew I had a chance was when he rolled in a winning putt on 17 to go 1 up with 1 to play. He fist pumped that ball in like it was the 18th on Masters Sunday and he was off to get his jacket. I just thought to myself "it ain't over yet buddy, cool the jets".

Adrenaline pumping through his veins on 18 he leathered his drive into the cabbage and while he didn't gift me the hole my regulation par was enough to take it to extra time. He saved par with a long putt on the 1st while my birdie hung on the side lip. On the 2nd he was again in trouble and cursing himself, and when he bladed his greenside chip straight through the green first the club, and then the bag, went flying. I can honestly say from that moment on 17 I found a different gear, a calmness that allowed me to play my best and let him beat himself, which he duly did.

I watched a program recently about testosterone levels in athletes, and winners tend to be more in control of it. They can keep their levels at an elevated but constant height. Hot heads tend to get spikes, during which they are all guns blazing, and it can affect their judgement. They are also prone to dips because they can't maintain that level and during those despondency and club chucking is easily achieved.

How do you see yourself, and perhaps just as importantly, how do your playing partners see you? Do you think you would benefit from a caddy saying to you "calm down, it was a poor shot but you can recover", or "calm down, great birdie but this is a tricky tee shot coming up so keep the head".

If so, do you really need a caddy?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I used to be a hothead but last couple of years or so I've really calmed down.

Only took me 40 years to realise getting wound up doesn't work :eek:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always calm, no hissy fits. My caddy would be there to make sure I concentrate on each shot. Bad shots creep in due to both poor technique and because I don't fully concentrate every time I hit the ball.

I played different sports before golf, club level, and like you I always loved it when an opposing player blew up. You knew then that you had them. We used to play hockey against a team from Moss Side, Manchester, Manchester Indians they were back then. Everyone knew you just had to keep a clean sheet for 20 minutes and they would self destruct. Cracking team but angry as hell. 11 men behind the ball for 20 minutes and then attack as soon as you saw the first stick fly through the air.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I won't say much, especially when playing with strangers, but my emotions are normally quite visible in my facial expression and body language. I'd make a terrible poker player :p I am pretty quick in letting it go again, though, so I don't think it has a massive influence on my next shot.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A work in progress for me. I'm trying to never be too up or too down.

Sometimes It can be hard when you hit a really good shot but with poor shots I'm getting better at letting it go.... the main way I do it is look about and think you're a long time dead and you are getting to play this wonderful game!!!

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Allow myself a few seconds (and usually some choice words) immediately after a bad shot. I get more angry if it's a bad choice of shot or if I hadn't backed off when I should have etc. But generally, that's it, it's gone and my mind is on the next shot. Only took me about 20 years and several shafts to learn this :eek:

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can blow a bit hot and cold at times but I try to keep it to between shots so I'm on an even keel when I'm playing my next shot.

Good pre-shot routine has really helped me a lot.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm know in our group as very level-headed, particularly in matchplay situations. It's something I've consciously worked on over the years, although I dont think I've ever been a club thrower tbh.

One of our ex-regular playing partners has recently been 'removed' from our group for his on-course behaviour. Swearing (frequently and loudly), club throwing, punching the ground, even in matches against other clubs. Just embarrassing really. He's a decent 5 handicapper, probably capable of going lower, but thinks he's a pro.

No-one wants to play with him because he takes it so seriously that any round with him takes forever and any little thing can tip him over the edge at any stage. Not fun to witness.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've always been a bit hot playing golf but never to the proper tantrum stage.
I'll swear at myself and call myself an idiot but then move on to the next shot.

It's strange because as a footballer i've always been ridiculously calm as a player, I rarely get wound up by anything/anyone but golf is a different monster!

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always been a bit hot playing golf but never to the proper tantrum stage.
I'll swear at myself and call myself an idiot but then move on to the next shot.

It's strange because as a footballer i've always been ridiculously calm as a player, I rarely get wound up by anything/anyone but golf is a different monster!

Funny you should say that. Normally I'm the most calm person you're ever likely to meet. It actually really pi**es the other half of because I just don't get wound up about things.

Golf is the only thing that really can get to me at times.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to get really down on myself but have learned that it doesn't help. I still allow myself the odd expletive but then forget it and focus on the next shot.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've never been one to celebrate when it's going well. I used to be terrible for letting things wind me up though, although I think I'm getting better.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Usually just a shake of the head and ask my self why I did that. Always try to take a positive out of a shot no matter what, even if it is well at least your 10 yards closer now.

A first for me the other day when out for 18 myself, I threw a club down the fairway, not in anger more just in exasperation as I was really struggling at the time. Wouldn't do it when playing with someone but when out my self I usually talk to myself more, it seems an easy way to get things out of my head.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm fairly critical on myself. But I don't throw clubs and rage.
I just usually say something a bit daft and get on with it.

I tend to laugh of putts that lip out.

Keeping your cool is paramount in golf. If you get wound up playing football it's not that bad but golf - soon as the head goes you have no chance.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm pretty level headed when things are going well or badly. I played the shot, good or bad so I don't club throw, rarely swear and certainly don't try to make it uncomfortable for my playing partners

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've got much better in recent years, even on those days when it looks like I've never played before. Learned that getting stressed and worked up only compounds the problems. I find it frustrating on the good scoring days that I still find a way to chuck at least one bad hole per round in (my nine in the last medal being a prime example) but there's nothing you can do but try and par the next hole