Keeping your cool Vs Displaying your passion

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm cool, calm and in total control of my emotions, I never swear, never get angry with myself or others, I don't show anything that could be construed as a weakness, I'm like a calm sea of tranquility....totally chilled whatever happens on the course...:cool:

:smirk:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I like a good old swear up.
Have also been known to "helicopter" the odd club, but I never throw them so hard that I'm in danger of breaking them.
That would be silly......:eek:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've never been one to celebrate when it's going well. I used to be terrible for letting things wind me up though, although I think I'm getting better.

I certainly take the bad shots/results much better than I did when I started out and definitely think us amateur players should celebrate more, if for no other reason than its fun

If I make a difficult putt or chip in I will usually take cap off, raised aloft & acknowledge the 'galleries' (never forgetting the gallery behind you also) I miss plenty so why not celebrate the good un's

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a "serious" comp I keep fairly calm but in friendlies the occasional Seve fist pump, Faldo arms aloft and Poulter "Come On!!! is quite in order if not required (but of course not the Boo Weekley Hobby Horse, never....ever) :)

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The head of an old 3 iron of mine is buried in the course at Heaton Park Manchester. That should tell you everything you need to know.

D

Deleted member 15344

Don't throw clubs or get angry but tell myself off every now and then or have a laugh at myself

Why throw clubs ? When has anyone ever played well angry

D

Deleted member 21258

Really really I just want to get all the clubs and whack them as hard as possible into the floor or the nearest tree or even chuck them in the lake when I play a bad shot. Whoops! But I never have, cool the anger but let the passion flow, you have to laugh at the ups and downs of it, a right buzz.

When its bad underneath my blood may be boiling, but on a golf course you will almost never see or hear it. I will laugh at it or moan at myself, living for the next good shot even on a bad day, as I know the next one will be the one, as life is really to short.

When the golf is good I am flowing and buzzing and normally scoring poorly as I am buzzing and I three putt loads of holes, as I am on a high from hitting good shots!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Many many moons ago a young, low single figure handicapper went through a weird torrid time of slicing. On the stroke index 1 hole he decided to lay up short of a lake, and actually hit it half straight down just short of the lake. His second shot was carved right into the river that fed the lake, and his next shot was duffed into the lake.

Being of gentle disposition, he proceeded to kick his bag the 5yds into the lake and set off for the clubhouse, with most of the balcony laughing their socks off. After a wee while sat below the balcony, cooling off, he set off back to the lake to get his car keys and, in truth, his clubs.

The young idiot learned an invaluable lesson that day. Take your ruddy trousers off before you go in the water or you will end up with wet car seats.

Oh, and he's not thrown a club nor walked off in a huff since..... whoever he was.

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Keep pretty cool about it all unless I feel iv really sold myself short. But from time to time we all do. So try not to get too worked up about it myself. If I'm playing solo the odd foul word may appear after a bad shot but that's the end of it. Never thrown a club, can't see the point. It's there to be enjoyed, if your not enjoying it to the point where your throwing equipment. I'd personally give it a rest for a bit if that was me. But have seen many a club thrower, makes you look ridiculous out on the course. Even if you think nobody has seen it its likely someone has.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many many moons ago a young, low single figure handicapper went through a weird torrid time of slicing. On the stroke index 1 hole he decided to lay up short of a lake, and actually hit it half straight down just short of the lake. His second shot was carved right into the river that fed the lake, and his next shot was duffed into the lake.

Being of gentle disposition, he proceeded to kick his bag the 5yds into the lake and set off for the clubhouse, with most of the balcony laughing their socks off. After a wee while sat below the balcony, cooling off, he set off back to the lake to get his car keys and, in truth, his clubs.

The young idiot learned an invaluable lesson that day. Take your ruddy trousers off before you go in the water or you will end up with wet car seats.

Oh, and he's not thrown a club nor walked off in a huff since..... whoever he was.

:thup:

D

Deleted member 16999

I used to be a hothead but last couple of years or so I've really calmed down.

Only took me 40 years to realise getting wound up doesn't work :eek:
What about you chasing that bloke around the course at Carnoustie😃

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Generally the most you'll get from me after a terrible shot is "timbo, what are you doing" but I'm usually able to leave the shot behind me and get on with the next. However, I did once go to whack the rubber tyre on my electric trolley with the club I'd just fluffed, but unfortunately I missed and smashed the plastic housing around the gears and ended up buying a replacement!

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I definitely let it out after a bad shot, not the full club chuck (often), but a few choice expletives and maybe a club rammed backin the bag. But thats it over, onto the next shot with a clear head. Others will disagree but its my way of letting off tension and if I let it bottle up it will affect me more

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends on my audience. I'm not much of a celebrator. Certainly wouldn't ever fist pump on the course with a stranger or in a competitive match. I prefer the dignified look. I wouldnt want to further anyones misery too if they were losing.

If it was a bounce match against my buddies, I might be a little more vocal either in frustration or celebration but thats usually just for a laugh, and they're usually celebrating with me anyway.