Just hit someone with an errant tee shot

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This always baffles me - how do you know if you are left or right of the incoming as it comes from 300 forum yards away??

Because they shout "fore left", it attracts your attention and you see where they're shouting from - if when you look at them they are to the left then you know it's intended for you.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Exactly..........same as yelling fore at a greenkeeper operating machinery or in a tractor.
Last game I hit a shot straight at a greenkeeper flymowing a bunker 367 yards away. I put both hands straight up in the air. Thankfully the ball landed short of him but he thanked me for my signal.

[I lied about the 367 yards]

It could be 367 'Forum' yards?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I once hit a ball off the first tee that sliced badly onto the next fairway and knocked the Lady Captain out cold. I rushed over and decided to call an ambulance, the operator asked what had happened and I explained I had hit a lady with my golf ball. He then asked where she had been hit, I replied between the first and second hole. He then said "Not much room for a bandage then" :eek:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Because they shout "fore left", it attracts your attention and you see where they're shouting from - if when you look at them they are to the left then you know it's intended for you.

...... And then the ball hits you square in the face as opposed to the back of your (covered) head or missing you completely if you simply hear the shout and cower/cover up.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I once hit a ball off the first tee that sliced badly onto the next fairway and knocked the Lady Captain out cold. I rushed over and decided to call an ambulance, the operator asked what had happened and I explained I had hit a lady with my golf ball. He then asked where she had been hit, I replied between the first and second hole. He then said "Not much room for a bandage then" :eek:

Made me chuckle that:clap::lol:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
...... And then the ball hits you square in the face as opposed to the back of your (covered) head or missing you completely if you simply hear the shout and cower/cover up.

My hearing is good enough to notify me of where the shout has come from, also I take the precaution of keeping my eye on who is teeing off so as to know where to expect to hear it from.

Also, the shout should be early enough for you to do something about it, as in all likelihood you’ll be a fair distance away. If I’m close to someone teeing off (within 150 yards) I just stop what I’m doing and watch them so I can take evasive action if necessary.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site

A 150 yd shot takes what, 4 or 5 seconds? from launch to landing. It would take the striker a second or 2 to realise it was inbound on your head, they shout fore, a short time for the sound to travel to you, another short time for you to compute that sound, then turn round see that they are on the left and then d.......BANG oops too late, teeth gone!

Fore, fore left, fore right - doesn't matter, duck & cover and worry about looking stupid later as it misses you by 200yds across 2 fairways.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't know if this is a wind up or not ? the last thing I would think about if I melted someone with my ball was at least it's still in play/ it's his own fault. If I hit a ball and skelp someone it is my fault.

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don't know if this is a wind up or not ? the last thing I would think about if I melted someone with my ball was at least it's still in play/ it's his own fault. If I hit a ball and skelp someone it is my fault.

Yes but it's all part of golf. We don't hit the ball straight all the time...as long as you shout fore you're ok.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few rounds ago, me and Kraxx were standing on the 18th tee box, this is directly adjacent to the 17th Green a short par 3, an errant shot from the 17th tee box could quite easily reach the 18th tee box.

On this day, Kraxx had taken his shot and I watched the two blokes tee off from the 17th, they shouted fore right, so Kraxx on hearing the shout ducked, I instinctively followed suit, only to realise we were to the left of the blokes shouting, no ball came our way, but there as no one on the 10th fairway either, so not sure if these two blokes had got their left and right mixed up or were just not taking any chances.

Still always best to duck when you hear fore.

As I found out when visiting a new course, one of the holes ran along side the back of the club house, there was a large group of people waiting to tee off, when somoeone shouted four, and everyone around me ducked, not knowing he course layout, I stayed standing as this ball pinging off the half roof behind me and ended up on the practice green. Those around me were standing up and looking at me and you could almost hear their thoughts "what a muppet", one person did ask, "new here?", "yes, where did that ball come from?", "The 15th tee box is just behind those trees, anyone with a slice will often put the ball overhere, guess you'll know for next time"

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Just spoke to him and he's OK - said it missed his brain by about four feet! He was more interested to know if I still shot a good score!

From what I heard from the other members of his group, they all heard the call of FORE LEFT and three of them ducked and he didn't. You can tell who he is if you go down to the club as the side of his head has the word "Titleist" imprinted backwards on it ;-)

Shouting 'FORE left!' does not absolve you from indeminty!

In response to Robobum 'the post below me but probably not the next response in the forum'
It was probably more like 450 forum yards, with a 4 iron....

gryffindor

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have played a few times at a hotel course near Crickhowell. It is basically a bit of a ploughed field with some smooth bits (greens) and only a 9 hole par three but the holes seem to zig zag around each other. On Sunday mornings they have the members comp - shot gun start. The horn goes off. 9 people hit the tee shot. Almost everyone shouts 'FORE' and 36 people hit the deck. Absolute quality every time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But seriously folks - did you report the incident to the club secretary. You should.

Insurance claim goes in and the insurers come to have a look. They may decide that the layout of holes at the location of the incident means that incidents of the sort which you describe are quite possible. They could then ask what measures the club is taking to warn playersd of the risk and look kto see what measures the club is taking to reduce the likelihood of such incidents happening. They could decide the club could do more - and could decide thatthe club is being negligent and hence could be liable. A lot of 'coulds' in there - but you know what some injury compensation insurers are like these days.

If your club maintains a record of all incidents - hits and near misses - then that shows the club is taking it's responsinbilities seriously. The club can show that they are monitoring for regular incidents in the same location/holes - and doing roisk assessments and taking risk mitigation actions as necessary.

This might all sound way over the top - but my club is doing this following incidents in the last year or two - one where a member lost sight in an eye after getting struck by a stray tee shot.

Sorry for introducing a serious point. It is worth considering it your duty to report any such incidents to the club where such an incident involving you happens on the course (whether it's your own club or not)