Hit on the head by ball.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yikes I’ve had a few close calls and wondered about getting an ambulance to some parts of the course. Glad you’re ok, nasty buzz by the sounds of it

D

Deleted member 15344

Christ that is awful. Glad to hear you're ok. Any plans to sue the offending golfer, particularly given that he didn't shout fore??
If he didnt shout fore then sue.

Glad to hear you’re ok CC

These two posts show imo what’s mad about the world - the where there’s blame claim society of looking to Sue

D

Deleted member 26595

Wow, that’s awful!

Glad you’re relatively unscathed, and hope you make a full recovery.

The only time I’ve ever “played golf” (the lowest possible definition) was 30 years ago, on a municipal pitch and putt. The bloke I was playing with took a ball right between the shoulder blades as he was addressing his ball on the green. The next group had tee’d off before we’d cleared. Can’t even say we were playing slow, as it was the first hole!

Knocked flat on his face, bruised but not badly hurt.

It was with this in mind that I took out golf insurance before going on another par 3 course this weekend (for the first time since).

I’ve read about people being sued even if they have shouted “fore”, and it cone for an awful lot of money.

As an added bonus, the insurance also covers the cost of drinks in case you get a hole in one...though I’m not convinced I’ll be making a claim for that this weekend...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow, that’s awful!

Glad you’re relatively unscathed, and hope you make a full recovery.

The only time I’ve ever “played golf” (the lowest possible definition) was 30 years ago, on a municipal pitch and putt. The bloke I was playing with took a ball right between the shoulder blades as he was addressing his ball on the green. The next group had tee’d off before we’d cleared. Can’t even say we were playing slow, as it was the first hole!

Knocked flat on his face, bruised but not badly hurt.

It was with this in mind that I took out golf insurance before going on another par 3 course this weekend (for the first time since).

I’ve read about people being sued even if they have shouted “fore”, and it cone for an awful lot of money.

As an added bonus, the insurance also covers the cost of drinks in case you get a hole in one...though I’m not convinced I’ll be making a claim for that this weekend...
I have golf insurance but it covers loss of limbs eyes etc.
Can’t claim for just injury.
I won’t sue him unless there is a major change in me.

Just to add insult to injury I was DQd for the comp because it was a pairs .

D

Deleted member 26595

I have golf insurance but it covers loss of limbs eyes etc.
Can’t claim for just injury.
I won’t sue him unless there is a major change in me.

Just to add insult to injury I was DQd for the comp because it was a pairs .

Yeah, the insurance is for public liability, in case I hit someone, not in case I get hit! I mean, I’m not setting out to hit anyone, but accidents these days can leave you in dire financial straits...

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our 15th is a par 5 but you can go back up the 14th either deliberately or unintentionally and you can elect to proceed up the 14th but have to then wait for those teeing off or coming down and playing their seconds before hitting that way.

As for the OP, keep an eye on the headaches and generally well being as concussion can sneak up. Personally I wouldn't claim unless I was having time off work but there is always the "where's there a claim" brigade
I agree with the claim brigade part, but the accident should reported and all details taken, just in case something does SNEAK up at a later date.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with the claim brigade part, but the accident should reported and all details taken, just in case something does SNEAK up at a later date.
The club manager called me on the Tuesday morning to ask what happened.
Not sure what the procedure is in the club .
Are they required to have an enquiry ?

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to hear about this and hope you're recovering well CC98. A lot of food for thought in your story and the replies.

There is one potential 'flash point' at our place where on a par 3 we often get shouts when on we're on the tee from slicers coming the other way although there's quite a bit of protection from trees, but certainly hearing first hand about what can happen, even from a ricochet let alone a direct strike, is a scary prospect either to have happen or to have caused.

We often forget what harm that little white ball can do.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
This.

Needs to be reported and recorded in case of any need to go back to the incident at a later date.
Not only to go back. But should it end up in a court of law ( hope not) there needs to be a record. No record. It never happened. ☹️

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Was playing in the club Pro-am a few years back now. We were the last group out, and the course was supposed to be closed. Unbeknown to us a group of members had come out on the course behind us. We were on our par 5 fifth hole, up hill, second shot is blind, you wait for the bell. We hadn't reached the bell, but were well over the top with the pro's drive, four of us standing chatting, waiting on the group in front. I suddenly see a ball coming through the air behind us, I shout but it it hit one of my mates (a guest) square in the back of the head, completely poleaxed him and knocked him out momentarily. One they shouldn't have been on the course anyways, so we were not expecting anyone behind, two there was no shout of fore. My mate is a very big ox and came round quick, he jumped up and started straight back up the fairway to have words. The person coming to meet him to apologize, was not the person who hit the ball, had to hold my mate back from hitting him. The person who did hit it was hiding in the trees and didn't even come and say a word. I was relatively new to the club at the time, I didn't know the guys behind us, didn't know who played the shot. As it was a pro-am, and the pro was playing for money, we went straight back and carried on the round, we were all a bit shook up after that though, including the young pro, who unfortunately didn't win. Of course, I reported to the pro shop at the halfway, but the guys behind us had run off, and as I didn't know them, nothing was taken further. To this day we don't know who hit the shot.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was playing in the club Pro-am a few years back now. We were the last group out, and the course was supposed to be closed. Unbeknown to us a group of members had come out on the course behind us. We were on our par 5 fifth hole, up hill, second shot is blind, you wait for the bell. We hadn't reached the bell, but were well over the top with the pro's drive, four of us standing chatting, waiting on the group in front. I suddenly see a ball coming through the air behind us, I shout but it it hit one of my mates (a guest) square in the back of the head, completely poleaxed him and knocked him out momentarily. One they shouldn't have been on the course anyways, so we were not expecting anyone behind, two there was no shout of fore. My mate is a very big ox and came round quick, he jumped up and started straight back up the fairway to have words. The person coming to meet him to apologize, was not the person who hit the ball, had to hold my mate back from hitting him. The person who did hit it was hiding in the trees and didn't even come and say a word. I was relatively new to the club at the time, I didn't know the guys behind us, didn't know who played the shot. As it was a pro-am, and the pro was playing for money, we went straight back and carried on the round, we were all a bit shook up after that though, including the young pro, who unfortunately didn't win. Of course, I reported to the pro shop atthe halfway, but the guys behnid us had run off, and as I didn't know them, nothing was taken further. To this day we don't know who hit the shot.
What a coward!

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
The whole scenario sounds horrendous ,I’ve been close a few times had a ball whistle past my ear a couple of times.

Get well soon and all the best with the head injury