Just hit someone with an errant tee shot

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just hit someone with a drive - horrible feeling seeing someone lying on the ground. Yelled "Fore" and apparently it was his own fault for not ducking but still not a nice feeling. Just hope he's OK. At least it stopped my ball going into a hazard and I made par on the hole! Insurance is all covered but I spent the rest of the round trying to put it out of my head.

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just hit someone with a drive - horrible feeling seeing someone lying on the ground. Yelled "Fore" and apparently it was his own fault for not ducking but still not a nice feeling. Just hope he's OK. At least it stopped my ball going into a hazard and I made par on the hole! Insurance is all covered but I spent the rest of the round trying to put it out of my head.

So if he ducked it would have missed him, really it was his fault for not ducking........PMSL:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Good job you still made par though eh.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

If he had ducked and it had cracked his knee, would that mean it was his fault for not jumping whilst ducking?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Id say he is still trying to get the pain out of his head , luckily you have the insurance as some big mouth is going to mention the case in Scotland & get the legal ball rolling ..

p.s on hindsight, maybe the " At least it stopped my ball going into a hazard and I made par on the hole "

kinda detracts from the sincerity of "Just hope he's OK " bit

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just spoke to him and he's OK - said it missed his brain by about four feet! He was more interested to know if I still shot a good score!

From what I heard from the other members of his group, they all heard the call of FORE LEFT and three of them ducked and he didn't. You can tell who he is if you go down to the club as the side of his head has the word "Titleist" imprinted backwards on it ;-)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This always baffles me - how do you know if you are left or right of the incoming as it comes from 300 forum yards away??

Exactly..........same as yelling fore at a greenkeeper operating machinery or in a tractor.
Last game I hit a shot straight at a greenkeeper flymowing a bunker 367 yards away. I put both hands straight up in the air. Thankfully the ball landed short of him but he thanked me for my signal.

[I lied about the 367 yards]

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I hear for I always try and cover my head and crouch down and take my chances. No real idea where it is coming from sometimes especially on those open courses where fairways go up and down. If I shout, I tend to put my arm out to try and indicate to anyone who does look where it is going

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stand still and cover your head the best you can. If its going to hit you there is little you can do and crouching doesn't protect your head any better. If anything, crouching stretches the discs on you back and would do more damage if struck on the back.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Stand still and cover your head the best you can. If its going to hit you there is little you can do and crouching doesn't protect your head any better. If anything, crouching stretches the discs on you back and would do more damage if struck on the back.

I think if you crouch it makes you a smaller target.... and less far to fall if it DOES whack you on the bonce! :D

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do have a sort of natural reaction when i hear the shout

I usually use my left hand to cover my noggin.

My right hand normally covers another sensitive area....

mykweb

Assistant Pro
www.mykweb.co.uk
I am glad he is ok.

Yesterday I nearly took a woman out with a tee shot.

I was on the 16th at Carrick Knowe. I had been having a good round to this point. There is a path that leads to a housing estate just beside the course. Dog walkers usually come down here and walk around the course. Anyway I lined the ball up, looked down my intended line, then back to the ball. One last check of mine line again and I commenced my swing. As I got to the top of my back swing I heard a stick breaking to the left where this path was. As I came thru the swing and hit the ball I seen her standing there . The ball peeled left and clipped the tree, Missed her by about 2 feet. I shouted fore as I was coming thru my down swing.

She never moved, never even apologised for putting me off. On one hand I feel like it would have been her fault for walking in a golf course when not playing golf ( as there are signs saying Beware Golf in progress) but if I had hit her I would have maybe killed her as she was only 12-15 feet away :(

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It does mess up your game. A friend hit someone on the 17th a few months back, and we were all a bit shaken for the last 1 1/2 holes. Clearly not as shaken as the poor sod who got hit square in his face, but still. I purchased my golf insurance shortly after that round.