Etiquette after hitting someone with a golf ball

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thought I would add to this, playing Poult Wood yesterday( honestly wish I hadn‘t). Coming down the 9th fairway, a guy shouts fore. Never even shouted fore right or fore left then I would have at least quickly known which way it was coming, saw the ball very late and had to make a judgment call on whether to take the ball full in the face or on the side of the head. Took it in the side of the head in the end, after spending most of last night throwing up and having a shape on the side of my head which looked like Frankensteins twin made my way up the hospital this morning. 1 CT scan later, no bleed on the brain just mild concussion and swelling. And no golf for a few days😡😡😡.
I am really sorry that you have been injured, hope you are OK soon.
But, the fore right, fore left, thing that has crept in (TV?) is a mistake.
A shout of "FORE" should mean that everyone takes cover.

gopher99

Visit site
I am really sorry that you have been injured, hope you are OK soon.
But, the fore right, fore left, thing that has crept in (TV?) is a mistake.
A shout of "FORE" should mean that everyone takes cover.

The amount of people shouting Fore at Poult Wood is so great, that instead of handing out pitch mark repairers they should give out crash helmets on the first tee.

D

Deleted member 18121

Thought I would add to this, playing Poult Wood yesterday( honestly wish I hadn‘t). Coming down the 9th fairway, a guy shouts fore. Never even shouted fore right or fore left then I would have at least quickly known which way it was coming, saw the ball very late and had to make a judgment call on whether to take the ball full in the face or on the side of the head. Took it in the side of the head in the end, after spending most of last night throwing up and having a shape on the side of my head which looked like Frankensteins twin made my way up the hospital this morning. 1 CT scan later, no bleed on the brain just mild concussion and swelling. And no golf for a few days😡😡😡.

Where had he hit from, the 10th tee? That was my course growing up..... Trying to think where else it could be hit from.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where had he hit from, the 10th tee? That was my course growing up..... Trying to think where else it could be hit from.

Yes, must have been. I played Poult Wood Tuesday afternoon and nearly hit a group playing the 10th when I teed off the 9th.

They were searching for their balls well to the right of their fairway (next to the fairway bunker on the 9th), but out of sight from the 9th tee. My tee shot wasn’t wide by any stretch, it landed by the bunker and I had no idea they were there. Anyway, shouted fore as I couldn’t see where my ball was going to land and fortunately it missed them anyway.

I can imagine they have quite a few incidents there, plenty of holes that are close together and plenty of people that are in the casual golfer bracket and more likely to hit a big wide.

Sorry to hear you were injured Gopher

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know how you feel .
took one to the head a few years back ,not nice.
took me a long time to recover, about six weeks so just be careful in the next few days.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apologise and keep your fingers crossed you don't get sued.
One of our members was sued and lost, the other player wasn't injured seriously but awarded ten grand.
I think the club's insurance paid but not sure.
That's why you should have golf insurance.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Actually hit on Sunday, the guy did shout fore. Luckily for me it bounced before it hit me Which took most of the force out of it but it nipped for about 5 minutes afterwards.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apologise and keep your fingers crossed you don't get sued.
One of our members was sued and lost, the other player wasn't injured seriously but awarded ten grand.
I think the club's insurance paid but not sure.
That's why you should have golf insurance.
Wow, that sounds like a nice little earner. I might start standing around in the bushes on the right of our 12th hole and see what happens.

AussieKB

Visit site
Have hit one person, going for a par 5 in two, so I sent one of our four up ahead as it was a blind shot, he never yelled fore and I hit another player that had ventured over to just off our fairway, he was not happy.

Explained what I had done but he still was not happy, thought I took reasonable action so was not blaming myself, the guy who went forward said he watched the ball all the way till it hit the other golfer, he just forgot to yell fore.