Does anyone chip with a shut body?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
As someone who's spent the past two decades using only their hands and knees to hit a chip shot I've just tried this on a lunchtime raid to the practice ground. If you are miserable around the greens then it might be worth a try - I managed to hit a dozen 54˚wedges without anything untoward happening (and didn't lose any balls). Gets the body involved far more and the right shoulder feels like it's part of the shot. Might be wrong but think they mentioned on the commentary that Otaegui does it on certain shots?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me it is understanding the difference between a chip and a pitch.

Quite often people think they are hitting a chip but throw in pitch elements and end up thinning etc.

Chipping for me is all about maximin roll and minimum flight, anything else is a pitch or a lob and should be hit like a pitch/lob.

In my opinion you do not chip a 60* by flying it to the hole and stopping it quickly, that is a lob. Also you do not chip a wedge 2/3 of the way to the hole and stop it quick, that is a pitch.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me it is understanding the difference between a chip and a pitch.

Quite often people think they are hitting a chip but throw in pitch elements and end up thinning etc.

Chipping for me is all about maximin roll and minimum flight, anything else is a pitch or a lob and should be hit like a pitch/lob.

In my opinion you do not chip a 60* by flying it to the hole and stopping it quickly, that is a lob. Also you do not chip a wedge 2/3 of the way to the hole and stop it quick, that is a pitch.
This seems like absolutely nothing to do with what he's talking about. ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, lots of run and a bit of hook spin but still a nice strike

I would never chip with a 54 deg unless I was very close to the flag.
I would normally use a 7-Pw for chipping, depending on how much green I had to play with.
But if whatever you use works, use it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can tell you my mate has to look over his left shoulder to see the flag when hitting a bunker shot.

It doesn't go well. Lol

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use lots of different directions for my body depending on the type of shot I am intending to play.

Same thing with club path.

D

Deleted member 1147

For a chip and run I don’t use any body movement, or at least very little.

I set up slightly open and just move the club low, and back & through.