Jeans on a golf course

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Young lad playing with who I assume was his dad. Dad dressed smartly like a golfer son wearing jeans and a hoody. Looked awful wish I had said something to them regarding our dress code.

Anyone else had this come up and did you point it out to them?

hangover

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I dont understand why what other people are wearing bothers them. Its just a pair of trousers that just happen to be a bit different from the ones you are wearing.

Del

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I myself cant see anything wrong in wearing jeans, as long as they are smart and not got you a*** hanging out.

I played a couple of months ago and the 2 ball in front of me was pulled up by the pro and told as one of them had jeans they couldn't play, the other chap had some old looking bright red cords, which had seen better days but was told he was fine !!!

I ask the pro ( my home course ) if I was ok to play in my black trousers, yep he said and asked why I checked, so I told him they were black jeans and if jeans were not allowed how come its ok for me to play.

He said only blue jeans are allowed but blue trousers are fine. !!

Del

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
I dont understand why what other people are wearing bothers them. Its just a pair of trousers that just happen to be a bit different from the ones you are wearing.

In normal walks of life when people are out and about I say wear what you want. There are some places and situations when you wear what is seen as appropriate, weddings etc.

Everybody knows there is a dress code to go on a golf course how hard is it to put on a pair of trousers and a collared shirt? If everyone just wore what they wanted it would look awful and I think etiquette and general behaviour would also decline.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry but at the fear of being branded a snob, there are dress codes at most clubs which state jeans, and definitely hoodies are not appropriate attire and are there to be adhered to. You can get a decent polo and pair of trosuers for £20 so there's no excuse for not following the rules and at least dressing the part

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
I take it your club has a professional shop and noone saw them on the 1st tee?

one can only assume that the dad went in to pay while the son loitered in the car park. No the first tee is hidden by trees from the club house although we do have cctv cameras on the 1st and 9th.

We do have the reputation as a fairly laid back club and players can wear what they want on the par 3 course although I always still wear golf clothes and hate seeing people playing in leeds rhino's shirts and tracky bottoms.

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
im all for wearing jeans, in act i love them. but not on a golf course! its just the rules generally! i like wearing very short shorts in the summer in my garden or on the beach, doesnt mean i parade round topless on the golf course. so no is the answer.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This has come up quite a lot recently.

Im firmly in the no jeans on the course camp, although off the course Im nearly always in jeans so its not like I'm anti-jean

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Around home I'm a scruffy rugby shirt, jeans/shorts guy but I think that if a club has a dress code, which the members have agreed to when they joined, I just accept it and play my golf.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

one can only assume that the dad went in to pay while the son loitered in the car park. No the first tee is hidden by trees from the club house although we do have cctv cameras on the 1st and 9th.

We do have the reputation as a fairly laid back club and players can wear what they want on the par 3 course although I always still wear golf clothes and hate seeing people playing in leeds rhino's shirts and tracky bottoms.

Personally I can't stand playing in jeans, They just don't feel right. Also prefer the collard shirt.

Anytime I see someone in jeans, it is quite often on the bottom nine which is away from the clubhouse and can be accessed without going near the clubhouse at all. I always wonder if they are members or people sneaking onto the course for a hack around without paying any fees.

I wouldn't like to be at a course where they would use CCTV to catch people though. Something a little too big brother about that. I'd also get paranoid that my duff shots would end up on youtube ;)

d2cko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't like to be at a course where they would use CCTV to catch people though. Something a little too big brother about that. I'd also get paranoid that my duff shots would end up on youtube ;)

Ha, thats exactly what I thought! I bet it's a right laugh in the pro shop watching the video though!

Oh, I don't like jeans on the course either but this subject has been done to death. Some peoples views will never change.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was dragged up on a rough council estate,and wear nothing else but jeans when i'm not working/golfing,but i wouldn't want to see people wearing jeans on the golf course.
Having said that,i don't have a problem with jean type trousers on the course,and if somebody choose's to wear smart black jeans,then whats the problem ?
Most of the clubs i've been a member of,stipulate in there dress code......"no BLUE jeans"
On another similar note,i've heard some of the commentators question the outfits of poulter,Fowler,Parnevik,Edfors etc over the years,yet they never make a fuss about some of the American pros,who seem to wear nothing but baggy chino's,and polo shirts that are 3 size's too big.I know who i think looks smarter and more suitably dressed.

robemosc

Club Champion
Visit site
I've noticed on quite a few courses people wearing jeans. It isn't an issue to me what people wear. Clothes don't make the man. But what I do think is poor that clubs that issue dress codes need to implement these rules. As they can be picky and anal about the most insignificant things at times.

Naybrains

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Jeans on a golf course are just wrong!!

You wanna see some of the clowns that come out around 7pm on summers nights on my course, they wear what they want... one that really boiled my pi$$ one night was seeing a guy wearing a Man Utd shirt on the course.
Total Be!!end.

IanLeeds

Assistant Pro
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com

Whats your home course I presume its in Leeds? lol

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

After a really crap day getting to , at and getting back from work, all it takes is a dress code thread to cheer me up.

Albeit, i do think i need to find something different to say other than my normal rant about 19th century class disticntion.

I've been wearing my curent pair of jeans for about 2 to 3 years on some quite prestigous golf courses. Of course, because they are brown, nobody has noticed.
Makes a mockery of the whole idea.

You know what, as soon as we manage to eradicate swearing, sexism, racism and homophobia from our golf courses, all of which i see every day and in many (if not most) male 4balls , then i will gladly go out and buy some nice nylon polo shirts and chinos, i will tuck my shirt in, i will buy some knee length white socks and i will never complain about dress codes again.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

After a really crap day getting to , at and getting back from work, all it takes is a dress code thread to cheer me up.

Albeit, i do think i need to find something different to say other than my normal rant about 19th century class disticntion.

I've been wearing my curent pair of jeans for about 2 to 3 years on some quite prestigous golf courses. Of course, because they are brown, nobody has noticed.
Makes a mockery of the whole idea.

You know what, as soon as we manage to eradicate swearing, sexism, racism and homophobia from our golf courses, all of which i see every day and in many (if not most) male 4balls , then i will gladly go out and buy some nice nylon polo shirts and chinos, i will tuck my shirt in, i will buy some knee length white socks and i will never complain about dress codes again.

I couldn't agree more,and i too have worn bedford cords and jean type trousers,that the dress code mafia would probably be horrified with. ;)