New ish. but already put off a bit

Coreservers

Visit site
Hi there
Between 2003 - 2007 i played a fair bit up in the west highlands on the lovely loch carron course.. never very good, but could usually get round in 100-102... but lovely relaxed club, could turn up and play, yes even wearing jeans.. if you met someone often stopped for a natter, shared tees or tips.
Not really played since. But this year i decided to give lawn bowls a miss, as was fed up of the "blazers" and their "rules" straight out of the 1950's. So after much thought, a return to golfing. got decent course nearby. Though i am a very nervy player off the 1st tee. Looked into clubs, shoes etc. so kitted myself out with the RIFE RX2 club set. and a pair of under armour goretex spikeless shoes.

Been to driving range a couple of times now. and oddly the muscle memory is coming back. was hitting 125-130 off 7 iron.

So came home yesterday, thought, after next shift rotation (key worker on 24/7 shift) next tuesday will get up and go play a proper round. on local course....
And this is where im being put off.... Local course.... not allowed single play. if you try and book a tee time, you can book any time if you are 2,3 or 4 players but the 1 player column is blanked out.. i was quite annoyed. however started looking around. some courses did say 1 player, but when you went to book and selected the 1 player option... "no dates available".. and before anyone says, find someone to go with, i dont actually know anyone else who plays.

So i thought I know i'll email the clubs see what their answer is... most said they didnt really allow it as solo players go too fast!
Or if you book and turn up as a single, they will join you to someone elses game...

Sorry but i dont want to ruin some group of mates day out by having them trawl a duffer round the course... As i said all i want to do after a stressful set of shifts is to get up and go play. But seems golf has as many dumb rules as lawn bowls.
Seems the blazers are fully in charge of golf... No wonder its declining.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To be fair to the clubs, there is limited golf at the moment- no visitors,societies etc so they are trying to maximise participation to get as many playing as possible. I’m sure some clubs are also still using 10 minute gaps between groups, this again reduces the slots available so it would be madness to allow singles.
Just turn up and join a group, what’s the worst that could happen? You walk off after 9?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Heyup Core and welcome to the forum.

As much as I get where your coming from, could you imagine if 3 or 4 folk a day wanted to play alone. It could cost the clubs a fair bit. We have all been there re starting again. If there’s no option of going out on your own I would ask a club to put you with 2 or 3 folk that are easy going. We have had a few folks come with us and they have all enjoyed it. Not played well at times but enjoyed the crack. Playing golf is good, meeting new pals and playing golf is even better.
Enjoy me man.

D

Deleted member 15344

Golfs decline I don’t think is actually happening , many clubs have full memberships etc and there has been a resurgence over the past 18 months - mainly because of Covid - even before that the level of people playing golf wasn’t on a decline

Tee Bookings - right now because of the resurgence a lot of clubs have lots of people looking to book so it’s going to be hard both financially and also practically to book a single spot on many courses

I’m not sure the connection with the “blazers” and many rules but clubs tee times right now are like gold dust at many places

Why don’t you speak to them and ask them to pair you with players of similar standards if you wish - just play with someone and you might find it enjoyable and also meet people you can book games with

But this has nothing to do old school blazers etc

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've not heard of that being enforced to often, except on busy courses and hotel courses.... I guess if folk insist on playing alone, it is stopping other people from playing. If course held over times for singles and that stopped you playing, would you say "it is blazers enforcing silly rules?"

As Ethan says, no one minds a "bad golfer" (and you are not that bad) and Phil pretty much has it summed up above. There are lots of threads on her bemoaning how busy it is and fees going up!

sunshine

Visit site

As others have said, this is nothing to do with stuffy rules set by the "blazers" but rather the popularity of tee times. You can't expect a business to give up a potential 3x green fees for you. Maybe ring up or visit the club and find out if there are any quiet times when they will let you on by yourself. I'm sure there are still a few lulls e.g. a Monday afternoon.

And ironically golf is not declining but enjoying a mini boom. You returning to golf is evidence of this. Who knows how long it will last. Welcome back to golf!

D

Deleted member 17920

Golfs decline I don’t think is actually happening , many clubs have full memberships etc and there has been a resurgence over the past 18 months - mainly because of Covid - even before that the level of people playing golf wasn’t on a decline

Tee Bookings - right now because of the resurgence a lot of clubs have lots of people looking to book so it’s going to be hard both financially and also practically to book a single spot on many courses

I’m not sure the connection with the “blazers” and many rules but clubs tee times right now are like gold dust at many places

Why don’t you speak to them and ask them to pair you with players of similar standards if you wish - just play with someone and you might find it enjoyable and also meet people you can book games with

But this has nothing to do old school blazers etc
Correct Phil.

if you want to play as a one ball then buy 4 memberships to help the club :sneaky:

sunshine

Visit site
Ah, I see 2 other people have posted exactly the same as me while I was typing. Great minds and all that...

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We had this email sent a few weeks ago, you can go single but don’t whinge if someone try’s to join
TEE TIME PLAYING PARTNERS

Players can book to play with you if you are booked as a SINGLE PLAYER. If you book as a single player there is a strong possibility a player or players will add their name to your start time.

If you are joining an existing 2 or 3 ball booking you must seek agreement in advance from the players.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
If I were you I'd call their bluff. Check on the tee sheet for a quiet time, and just turn up at the club. I'd say they would almost certainly take your money and let you play as a single, worst case they'll join you up with a group, who I'm nearly certain, will be happy to have you, and dont worry about your standard, you'll definately not be the worst player on the course!!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely this is just a result of the pandemic, and in time things will revert back to normal. It’s not golf’s fault we’ve had the virus running riot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi there
Between 2003 - 2007 i played a fair bit up in the west highlands on the lovely loch carron course.. never very good, but could usually get round in 100-102... but lovely relaxed club, could turn up and play, yes even wearing jeans.. if you met someone often stopped for a natter, shared tees or tips.
Not really played since. But this year i decided to give lawn bowls a miss, as was fed up of the "blazers" and their "rules" straight out of the 1950's. So after much thought, a return to golfing. got decent course nearby. Though i am a very nervy player off the 1st tee. Looked into clubs, shoes etc. so kitted myself out with the RIFE RX2 club set. and a pair of under armour goretex spikeless shoes.

Been to driving range a couple of times now. and oddly the muscle memory is coming back. was hitting 125-130 off 7 iron.

So came home yesterday, thought, after next shift rotation (key worker on 24/7 shift) next tuesday will get up and go play a proper round. on local course....
And this is where im being put off.... Local course.... not allowed single play. if you try and book a tee time, you can book any time if you are 2,3 or 4 players but the 1 player column is blanked out.. i was quite annoyed. however started looking around. some courses did say 1 player, but when you went to book and selected the 1 player option... "no dates available".. and before anyone says, find someone to go with, i dont actually know anyone else who plays.

So i thought I know i'll email the clubs see what their answer is... most said they didnt really allow it as solo players go too fast!
Or if you book and turn up as a single, they will join you to someone elses game...

Sorry but i dont want to ruin some group of mates day out by having them trawl a duffer round the course... As i said all i want to do after a stressful set of shifts is to get up and go play. But seems golf has as many dumb rules as lawn bowls.
That's a pretty ridiculous rule but it must be extremely rare. I've never heard of a club banning solo players before. Just play basically anywhere else and you should be fine. Most probably won't allow jeans though. ?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First up I wouldn’t email I’d give the pro shop a ring, they have a better idea of what’s going on than the staff on email sometimes.

Ask if there’s a quiet evening in the week and can you go on the last tee time out at 7 or whatever. Say you’ve no intention of playing through anyone just reacquainting yourself after many years away from the game. If they don’t take your money somewhere will!

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My local pay and play allows singles at any time of the day but the next pay and play course which is only three miles away doesn't allow singles until at least 16:00 and that then depends on how busy the course is. I avoid the busy times as I prefer to play on my own a lot of the time as my concentration is really poor. Once I start nattering to any playing partner my brain just disengages. Must be an age thing. Depending on demand I can see the business logic in not wanting singles booking in. Using my club as an example I can book at 10:00 and hand over £20 as a result of which I have blocked out a four ball hiring two buggies totaling £110. I know whose business the club would rather have. I didn't bother playing for the first two weeks after lockdown as the course was totally rammed from dawn until dusk but things have got much quieter since then and it's been virtually millionaires golf since them although you do need to get there at 06:00 to experience it. You say that you can knock the ball around in about a 100 or so. Nothing wrong with that. There will be a few out there that can barely get that score after 9 holes.

Coreservers

Visit site
THanks folks. put my mind at ease... ive looked around and think i found somewhere, i got a lovely reply from the secretary at Pytchley golf. its a 45 minute drive but seems a decent honest club. so im gonig to pop up this afternoon and take a look around.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's pretty common to be joined up with other people, the pro normally asks them first and they generally get the opportunity to say NO.

I've said yes to hundereds of players over the years to join my group and I don't really mind what standard they are. you'll find that most people will encourage you HOWEVER if you are having a nightmare just learn to pick your ball up and go to the next hole. Don't make that dramatic putt for a 16 or take 42 attempts to get out of a bunker - just pick up, with a smile, and try not to slow down their game if you're on a bad day.

There has been a couple of times when someone has rather spoilled a round, one guy was just seriously loud, had no ettiquette, and just didn't know when to NOT play. Constantly walking across players putting lines, rattling round and never ready to play when it was his turn....... that's the last time I'm playing alone!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Find a muni that you can play solo - even if it takes a little longer to get there.

I wouldnt want to play my first round back after years with a bunch of strangers!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You're on the forum now.... just ask if anyone fancies a game with a nervous 'return to golf' lawn bowls player (y)

We got some right old OLDIES here.... some will even bring their nurse with them when they play and most forumers are very good at talking but rarely shoot less than 100 :p