New ish. but already put off a bit

Coreservers

Visit site
just because i said lawn bowls..... im only 57!!! lol :eek:;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:... i used to work the prawn boats off the west highlands. so loch carron was my course.,.. lovely wee 9 holer... annual membership £165 :).. I'll look into asking around..my biggest fear.... the 1st tee.. i always always scuff that baby. and am likely to fire a fairway shot at grass level... ;)

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
just because i said lawn bowls..... im only 57!!! lol :eek:;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:... i used to work the prawn boats off the west highlands. so loch carron was my course.,.. lovely wee 9 holer... annual membership £165 :).. I'll look into asking around..my biggest fear.... the 1st tee.. i always always scuff that baby. and am likely to fire a fairway shot at grass level... ;)

My group are good players. Still happens quite a fair bit due to hangovers.

I really wouldn't stress about it. The more you play, the more you realise everyone has terrible shots in their locker.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to play 50:50 on my own v in a group, just down to the fact that I'm not a member of a club and don't know THAT many people that play, or can play at the times it suits me.

Since golf courses re-opened post lockdown 1 it's very hard, if not impossible on some courses to get a tee time as a single golfer. And although that means I play less, it's fair enough given pretty much every tee slot is booked from dawn till dusk.

I have been able to play solo a couple of times though, and I've done that by looking at the website of the club shortly before the time I'm able to play and seeing if they have a free slot, then calling up the pro shop directly. If the tee time is vacant they would be foolish to turn down a green fee, something is better than nothing even if they would rather have a 4 ball in there.

I'm a relatively confident golfer (not necessarily competent!) and so not too concerned if someone else joins up with me, but I can totally understand your nervousness about that as I would have felt the same as you when I was first starting out. I think talk to proshops directly and see if they'll let you go solo if there is a vacant tee time at short notice.

The Fader

Visit site
We had this email sent a few weeks ago, you can go single but don’t whinge if someone try’s to join
TEE TIME PLAYING PARTNERS

Players can book to play with you if you are booked as a SINGLE PLAYER. If you book as a single player there is a strong possibility a player or players will add their name to your start time.

If you are joining an existing 2 or 3 ball booking you must seek agreement in advance from the players.

I find this a bit strange. I fully understand the course wants to make best use of their tee times - so in this case a one ball has no choice but to accept upto 3 other players filling the spare slots. However to then require a single player to obtain agreement from a 2 or 3 ball before booking a free slot seems a tad unfair.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Most people have 1st Tee Nerves. heck there are Care Homes set up for sufferers! And if you've worked on boats, anyone you see on the golf course will be, eh, um, "plain sailing!"

Coreservers

Visit site
my 1st tee fear came about at a public course years ago. where i hit possibly the worst shot in history. whacked the ground knocked the ball off the tee and it rolled slowly and surely dead straight off the tee down the slope and stopped 10 yards beyond... i could hear the clubhouse laughing, and i do think it funny these days. but it created a block. but no fixing it without trying i guess.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We allow single players to book but there is nothing to stop other players joining them.

From a commercial point of view we would not want a single player blocking out all 4 slots in a time slot and we do not even let 2 or 3 balls do that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I find this a bit strange. I fully understand the course wants to make best use of their tee times - so in this case a one ball has no choice but to accept upto 3 other players filling the spare slots. However to then require a single player to obtain agreement from a 2 or 3 ball before booking a free slot seems a tad unfair.
I’m 100% with @Neilds on this.

If I fancy a knock with others rather than by myself, and there are no singletons when I want to play, I’ll always contact one of an existing two or three ball to check with them that it’s ok for me to join. I’ve never had a group say No.

If there‘s a singleton then I’ll just put my name down with them. If there is space before or after a singleton I might put my name down in a free time, turn up early and see if he wants to join up. Sometimes he does sometimes he doesn’t - not fussed either way.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
When we were let back on after the first lockdown, I suggested to our Director of Golf that we needed a way for individual players to pair up
Something like players would book a tee time and put an asterisk , indicating that they were looking to play with others and would welcome other players joining.

All too often a new member who by definition doesnt know many others at the club, are put off from joining what may be an established regular group. So this would be an idea to open things up a bit

He suggested it to HDID, but think thats as far as it went

RichA

Visit site
All new members at ours are put on the social WhatsApp group. Many older members have joined it voluntarily.
Daily, there are solos seeking playing partners or groups. It's working very well.
I joined knowing nobody and now have a social golfing group of about 30 like minded "golf friends".

Coreservers

Visit site
going up to take a look round pytchley tomorrow, will have a pop on the range see how well im hitting then maybe look to book a round in a week or two. after a few more practice sessions

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I was in your position once and the same feelings. didn’t want to be holding people up as I learn and practice to actually be competent to play.

I’d tee off at the crack of dawn 4.30am being the earliest and have the course to myself and late in the evening, usually three hours before sunset.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was in your position once and the same feelings. didn’t want to be holding people up as I learn and practice to actually be competent to play.

I’d tee off at the crack of dawn 4.30am being the earliest and have the course to myself and late in the evening, usually three hours before sunset.
Been going at 6.30 am last few days .
Course to myself , fantastic.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Literally no one cares how you play. Youll probably find if your duffing your way round the course and the other guy wasnt doing the same, he might give you a few tips.

Coreservers

Visit site
visited Pytchely. what a lovely set up. went for a wander at 1st, got chatting to the 2 guys in American golf. arranged a couple of lessons. then went and hit a basket on the range... duffed a few, but once i remembered to relax the arms a bit, was flying over 100 on the 7 iron, and 125-130 ish on the 3 wood. confidence returning.

RichA

Visit site

On my return to golf last year, I deliberately picked tee times where there was a gap behind me. Turned out I found myself being encouraged to play through folks in front, rather than holding anyone up. Playing solo, you're unlikely to delay anyone.
For reasons I don't understand, when invited to play through and in front of an audience, I'd generally hit a couple of good 'uns.
A thank you and, "I'm **** but I'm quick," used to get me through in a minute or two with positive encouragement rather than any kind of resentment.
Most golfers at my nice club have been nothing but encouraging.