Is your course bouncing back?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just curious on how everybody’s course is fairing after the summer we’ve had.

Ours is in a horrid state (other than greens which are pretty good given how bad the course is). Growth is very patchy and fairways are shagged until at least next spring.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really. The greens were awful when I last went down there, they've been doing work for a few weeks though so I'll see what they're like this Saturday. Some the fairways are just totally dead as well.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The few times I played during the hot weather the greens were spot on but the fairways were knackered. Now that we have had some rain, the greens on the courses I've played are superb and the fairways are now covered in worm casts. Had a few mud balls over the weekend, but that aside the fairways have recovered very well.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Greens are great but fairways are goosed TBH. loads of dead patches, made worse by the GK scarifying these, so coupled with the rain we have had lately now loads of brown spongy patches that kill the ball it it lands on them

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Greens are the best they have been all year, minus a could of the edges that are still a bit bare. It has softened up the last couple weeks with all the rain we have had, and preferred lies and now back in play.

D

Deleted member 1147

The fairways are terrible - they scalped them when they were preparing for the Open qualifier, and when it got too hot they just seemed to die. So we now have patches of live & dead (or dormant, if you believe the weekly newsletter) grass.

The greens are now starting to come good, after the autumn work schedule.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fairways good, greens very, very patchy. I'm playing this weekend, first time in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see if any form of recovery is happening. The weather has been right for it so I hope there has been some improvement.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The sunny dry weather seems to have really helped our course. now that normal service has resumed in Scotland there's a fair amount of water without it being squelchy like last year where it started in June and didn't stop

D

Deleted member 3432

Greens are great but fairways are goosed TBH. loads of dead patches, made worse by the GK scarifying these, so coupled with the rain we have had lately now loads of brown spongy patches that kill the ball it it lands on them
Same for us.
Weather very autumnal now so not expecting much new grow.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Greens were amazing until top dressing last week. Tees have been good all year with plenty of growth due to the sprinklers. Fairways are goosed for months. Lots of dead looking patches and some bad cracks. Looks like we have been subjected to an earthquake in places. Some of them are around 6 inch deep and nearly as wide.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Dundonald is still phenomenal.

Machrihanish Dunes green are good, fairways are now recovering nicely as are the Tee's.

I know a few courses that are still really struggling but they'll come back in their own time. Grass is a very resilient weed!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Greens are lovely, fairways are just starting to creep back, some very lush parts but there are large areas that are still struggling. And to top it off, seen signs of badgers reappearing in the last week..... :(

They've dug up a couple of areas on the back of tee boxes, unusual for them to do the tees, but I guess it's because the fairways are still fairly dry.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Largs is looking pretty, grass galore. Would upload pics, but server can't handle the size.

D

Deleted member 3432

certainly is had to even wear a jumper on Sat morning;) still shorts though:giggle:

I take it you have a bit of a micro climate around inverness.

I had compression layer and jacket on when I played Friday. A not so warm 12 degrees and raining when I finished.

Certainly not shorts weather.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I take it you have a bit of a micro climate around inverness.

I had compression layer and jacket on when I played Friday. A not so warm 12 degrees and raining when I finished.

Certainly not shorts weather.
Nairn Does, its amazing how often its misses the rain that Inverness gets. went to golf early on Sat in shorts and jumper, went shooting after at Cawdor, then when i got home the wife was complaining how cold it was why i had shorts on. Must have been 16/17 deg out there, less in inversneck. Same this morning lashing it down all morning, looked at the club webcam and it was dry and sunny there:cool:

D

Deleted member 3432

Nairn Does, its amazing how often its misses the rain that Inverness gets. went to golf early on Sat in shorts and jumper, went shooting after at Cawdor, then when i got home the wife was complaining how cold it was why i had shorts on. Must have been 16/17 deg out there, less in inversneck. Same this morning lashing it down all morning, looked at the club webcam and it was dry and sunny there:cool:

You are lucky, Silloth unfortunately has the same micro climate as the lake district i.e. cold and wet plus the added bonus of wind :LOL: