How is your course in the winter ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I would be pretty gutted if I was one of the members who felt strongly enough to attend the agm, to then find that the greenkeeper was going to ban trolleys anyway. I didn't even know 'carry only' was a thing until around 4years ago. I think it is an overused and unnecessary act to protect the course. If the greenstaff during wet weather periods would cordon off areas and change them daily along with winter tee areas being moved daily there wouldn't be heavily trafficked areas and grass would not be turned into mud pits.
I play regularly with another 4 mates and we are all nearly 50. Not one of us are fit enough (and haven't been for years) to carry golf clubs so we obviously get a bit miffed when the carry only rule comes out. Thankfully after members complaining this is now seldom in place.

I’d be very worried if I was your ages and couldn’t occasionally carry my clubs round. I say that as someone who suffered a spinal injury many years ago.
Buy a lightweight bag, take half a set and dump all the crap most people carry round.

We currently have a trolly ban, but it appears that half the members must have an exemption. Which would be fine if they stayed on the paths, but they don’t and are making a mess. There are strong rumours that a complete ban is likely.

C7usk

Visit site
I’d be very worried if I was your ages and couldn’t occasionally carry my clubs round. I say that as someone who suffered a spinal injury many years ago.
Buy a lightweight bag, take half a set and dump all the crap most people carry round.

We currently have a trolly ban, but it appears that half the members must have an exemption. Which would be fine if they stayed on the paths, but they don’t and are making a mess. There are strong rumours that a complete ban is likely.
Lol, fair point BiM. We are not the finest specimens. 2 heart conditions and a couple of dodgy backs. I dare say if I got a lightweight bag and a half set I'd manage but I reckon my back and neck would be goosed by the end. Plus it's winter and potential for rain in Scotland is more than likely, so do carry a fair amount of extra gear. Would be a lot easier in the summer though.
Hopefully some of your less considerate members will take note and try to stick to paths.... Sounds like they will regret it if they don't.

TigerBear

Visit site
My local is East Renfrewshire and yes it really doesnt hold up well to rain at all. Thinking about trying a few other local course this winter and maybe switching clubs.

That's really surprising! I played your course last summer and it was in fantastic condition. The greens were probably the best I played last season.

Surprised that it being so good in the summer, it is effectively unplayable in the winter. Disappointing to hear!

G1z1

Visit site
That's really surprising! I played your course last summer and it was in fantastic condition. The greens were probably the best I played last season.

Surprised that it being so good in the summer, it is effectively unplayable in the winter. Disappointing to hear!
It’s a fantastic course in the summer IMO the best in the area but in the winter forget about it. Think it’s because it’s so high up it ends up being the worst in the area come winter.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Ours is looking great. Bit chewed on a couple of fairways where the wild boar have been grubbing for dinner but fine otherwise. Had 3 days of rain in November which greened it up nicely after the summer.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thinking of heading up that way in Feb for the big birthday. Looking at Dunbar, North Berwick, Gullane for starters. Any recommendations, including accommodation (log cabins etc) for two couples? There seem to be so many choices but not had a look at availability on any courses yet.

Not sure we have any log cabins in East Lothian.
The hotel at Craigielaw GC is very nice and modern. Ducks Inn Aberlady is basic but still a nice place to stay. No.12 Quality street in NB is a nice place to stay.
Lots of holiday homes in NB that should do a 2 night stay in winter.
If you want a bit of luxury Tom Kitchin's Bonnie Badger is fantastic but often booked up.

TigerBear

Visit site
It’s a fantastic course in the summer IMO the best in the area but in the winter forget about it. Think it’s because it’s so high up it ends up being the worst in the area come winter.

After last year's round I totally agree G1z1, definitely the best track in the Renfrewshire area and by far the best course in it's local area, imo anyway.

Without being harsh, as much as the course being the best layout, backdrop, condition, etc. Not being able to play 4 to 5 months out of the year because of 15mm of rainfall is a non-starter for me. I wouldn't feel I'd be getting my money's worth!

Have you noticed do the surrounding clubs keep their courses open when yours is "forced" to close?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Given East Ren's position when it was first designed I imagine it was under snow for most of the winter, whereas the West of Scotland may have become warmer it is not a lot drier. Yo u probably have to go to a seaside course to get reasonably reliable winter golf in the West of Scotland. I played the Darley course before Christmas down at Troon and it wasn't bad but I still got fairly muddy.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It been blistering down most of the morning and isn't supposed to stop for ages yet.
The course about a long par 5 across the fields from me is open...it must be like playing golf in a lake...
The surrounding fields are ankle deep in standing water.and, although it drains better, the course must be on the verge of being unplayable...
We're open, still carry only..and I doubt there's many up there today
It's foul out.....

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit H&S overkill nowadays. Course closed due to snow today....

G4d4ak2.jpg

Ten years ago it was still playable!

ksoft5u.jpg

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m still up at Bolton old links with a few other (dis)reputable forumers.

I’d say the general consensus between us, is that we are very lucky to be members during winter.

Yes we are on’t moors so we are treated to howling gales and what could only be described as ‘freak’ weather events ?.

The northwest has been battered by rain and gales again this year. However we are rarely closed due to it. We do get pools of water post rain storms, however they are clear as the turf does not chew up like many many others round here.

The greens keepers at our place are all bloody amazing to be honest. It does help that aside from their obvious knowledge of the craft, they are also members and very Good golfers.

Our bunkers do suffer I’d say but that’s a small criticism of what is one of the best maintained and draining inland courses for miles and miles.

the winds also help dry up fairways quite quickly too which is a small perk of getting battered of the gods routinely ?

Oh we have also gone back to fairway matts this year as well.

Not ideal but if it makes us look sparkling come April then fair enough.

G1z1

Visit site
After last year's round I totally agree G1z1, definitely the best track in the Renfrewshire area and by far the best course in it's local area, imo anyway.

Without being harsh, as much as the course being the best layout, backdrop, condition, etc. Not being able to play 4 to 5 months out of the year because of 15mm of rainfall is a non-starter for me. I wouldn't feel I'd be getting my money's worth!

Have you noticed do the surrounding clubs keep their courses open when yours is "forced" to close?
I know guy who plays williamwood that’s not shut much and when it does it’s usually the back 9 only. I have played williamwood a few times ok course but I find it really easy to get round so would get very bored if that was my main course.
Whitecraigs I have there wee par 3 membership so get the status on the main course also and that’s not no where near shut the amount east ren is, I have played the main whitecraigs twice and just don’t like the course so wouldn’t join there.
I plan to play cathcart castle and haggis castle soon as been told they both don’t shut much in winter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My local is East Renfrewshire and yes it really doesnt hold up well to rain at all. Thinking about trying a few other local course this winter and maybe switching clubs.
I was a member of East Ren over 40yrs ago - as family home was just down the road in Broom and Whitecraigs had a seven year waiting list if you didn't know anyone (in any case I preferred EastRen and my best mate was a member of Eastwood). I remember a lot of members not being happy with the massive tree planting scheme that started back then - and of course these trees are now 40yrs old - and I guess they don't help the drainage and cut down the drying wind coming off the moor.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My track holds up well but we have had a bit of debate around when we should reopen three holes (two par3s and a par4) that have been out of play for months as we've remodelled the bunkers and approaches - having laid over 3000m2 of turf. What we've decided to do is make all the new bunkers GUR and create temp forward tees on the par 3s to very significantly shorten the holes so that we all have a much better chance of hitting the greens. So while the new turf (now been down for quite a good number of weeks) is in play, hopefully most of us will be able to hit the greens with our tee shots and wont be playing from the new turf. All trolley traffic is directed away from the newly turfed areas.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ll find out tomorrow but pre Christmas it was already a mess and a lot of tees were very forward or cut on temp tees. Depending on the condition will depend on if I stay on a flexi membership and just use the course during the dry months or find a new home all together. Shame as I was sold the course as the best draining in the area and it’s been closed the most from all surrounding.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems loads are complaining of their courses being closed and the recovery period, not such much upset from those who are closed. All goes back to the question “ should courses be closed during very wet periods? “

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seems loads are complaining of their courses being closed and the recovery period, not such much upset from those who are closed. All goes back to the question “ should courses be closed during very wet periods? “

In my opinion we should definitely be closed in wet periods. The back nine is a mess and only so much nature and the greenkeepers can do to make it better for the Spring. Thing is those can only play at weekends are up in arms and I get that when they are paying the most for 7 day membership. Can't please everyone all the time