Course open when it shouldn't

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Our course was open every weekday last week with trolleys allowed every day and even buggies on some. But guess what - come the weekend when its the only time some of us 7 day members can play - the course is closed. If the couse has been closed a couple of days during the week and certainly if there had been a trolley and buggy ban last week then the course would have been able to open on Saturday at least. Last time I played it was so was easy to see that the damage being done by trolleys / buggys yet - I suppose because of some of the more vociferous older members - its never ever Carry only.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Proprietary course with an owner who doesn't play golf. He'll often proudly boast that his course was open when all the other courses in the area were closed. Great news for if you're a visitor, crap for the members.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Our course hasnt closed and probably wont close at all, but its in a mess. Tee boxes are ruined and there are seriously boggy patches.

We have the capacity to ban buggies (both duel and single ride on) and this has been in effect for 2 weeks. We have not banned trollies at all, and this is leading to an absolute mess on our front 9.

Our back 9 was purchased from the council when they closed the muni. This however has excellent drainage! Its in great shape still and trollies arent damaging the ground anywhere near as bad.

I understand why were staying open, we're the cheapest course in worcester and the owners need to make back money on their losses this year. No hard feelings about it, me and my PP's just embrace the course for what it is, get out there and swing metal!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This is a topic which is of course very subjective, but how is it at your course in the winter?

Do they keep it open when you think it should be closed, or do they close to easily when you think it should be open?

Our course now is a proper mudbath. A real dream for pigs on some of the holes. I'll admit there are a few holes that do hold up better than others, but overall it's really bad imo.

I seem to be one of few amongst those that I know in my club in wanting the course to close in order for it to not be ruined for the real golf season, but speaking towards deaf ears, and it really annoys me.

I can write the script already now for how it's going to sound come May when there's big bald patches as the fairways haven't recovered, and we'll play pick and place even into the summer. :mad:
I play a couple of miles ap the road from you (The Shire), so same clay base, and it was as soggy as I've ever seen it. Trollies were allowed Sunday, but it's carry only since Monday am. quite a bit of damage to side of 9th hole (steep slope) and a few of the high traffic areas were a mess. 18th has a serious quagmire between 150 and 90 yards from green that will take considerable work to set right, but that's the only golfing area that is really damaged. it's amazing how quickly fairways/green surrounds can recover, though restricted numbers of active green staff may elongate that. greens were absolutely wonderful - as ever! Can't say the same for my scoring though (apart from a rare Par on SI1!).

Last edited:

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mine is very wet and muddy in places and is probably one heavy shower from being closed. Has been carry only for a week or so. Saying that they are going to allow trollies tomorrow because iit is the Senior Turkey Trot comp and it's certain if it was carry only 50% of the field would withdraw. I suspect it will be back to carry only on Thursday.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
We are buggies banned and winter wheels on trolleys (and have been for a while), but have stayed open when we would normally have closed due to just coming out of the second lockdown. We are a notorious mudbath, and they have now closed the first 3 holes as they were just ridiculous.

We are also mats or out of the rough only, winter tees on all holes (mats), but the greens are holding up well.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Carry only today. Not surprised and wouldn't have been surprised if we had gone to front nine only. More heavy rain due tomorrow so think the course will be struggling time we get the heavy weekend footfall. Quite happy to have carry only for a while

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Very interesting reading, especially the fact that everyone's course seems to have at some stage opened but at the same time banned buggies.

I know of a different school of thought that says that if your club ban's buggies then you are potentially breaking the law and discriminating against those who can't walk the course.

Welcome peoples thoughts on that.....

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
It's definitely a fine balancing act, especially considering the amount of time the courses have been shut anyway this year, members want to feel like they're getting their money's worth.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
A good few years ago the club decided to do away with winter greens and spend the winter on our main ones, members galore were up in arms, some because they were sure that the greens would be ruined others were sure that the course would close whenever it was frosty. Neither occurred. The following summers produced some of the best putting surfaces we had ever had and the club kept the course open on frosty and icy days.

Fast-forward a few years. Yesterday was the first day without rain for two weeks. Today the course opened for the first time in a week. Half of the new lake on the 5th that I saw yesterday when walking by was gone today. Unfortunately this appears to be the new normal, warm wet autumns and winters.

Our 11th and 12th, two low-lying holes which run alongside a small river close every winter, all winter. We have two par 3's which take their place. The resulting course has its own slope rating.
1608066194747.png
In the foreground is 11, beyond the flag can be seen on the 12th. I took this a few years ago after some proper rain.

Despite all of this if it was my choice the course would never close. Come the end of February the course will be in a terrible state but by the end of May it will be beautiful once more. Although this is from someone who tried to play golf in the snow once. We were thwarted by the snow collecting on our balls when putting.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Very interesting reading, especially the fact that everyone's course seems to have at some stage opened but at the same time banned buggies.

I know of a different school of thought that says that if your club ban's buggies then you are potentially breaking the law and discriminating against those who can't walk the course.

Nope. Some courses don't even have buggies, or only have a very limited amount.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

When our courses are extremely wet, we tend to only allow two buggies a day on each course and they are only permitted if you have a medical certificate stating that you are unable to walk any distance. Other courses nearby, such as The PGA Centenary at Gleneagles have a cart path adjacent to the fairways where you park the buggy adjacent to where your ball is and walk to play it. This usually requires you to walk through tall, wet rough thereby getting a soaking in the process and then finding you don't have the correct club anyway!

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played The Warwickshire on Monday and that should’ve been closed. Losing balls in the fairway because of plugging. Was going to play Forest of Arden but they had closed.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

We've had similar arguments I believe and do now allow 2 buggies to be available for those with the proper medical exemption. I do however worry at what point the right to use a buggy clashes with the risk to life on a sloping course and what, if asked, the HSE would say in the event of a fatality?

I also get pee'd off when I see a buggy in use during a competition and see that the someone who doesn't have the required medical exemption hitches a ride and they come in the prizes !

sunshine

Visit site
We've just gone to no buggies at all, trollies only allowed with a medical letter, everyone else carrying.
It's not hard to adapt, empty the bag out, carry half a set or buy a lighter bag.

Same. We've had this since the course re-opened after lockdown2.

I've never been on the course an thought to myself that it shouldn't be open.
On the other hand, when it's shut I have no idea if it could have been open, because I'm not out on the course :unsure:

sunshine

Visit site

Not really. Football pitches, tennis courts, etc don't allow buggies. They are not breaking the law.

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not really. Football pitches, tennis courts, etc don't allow buggies. They are not breaking the law.
Haha.

Most people could carry a half-set in a light bag even if that meant just playing 9 and the course would be much more protected. In terms of the Equality Act, it is about reaonable adjustment. So a blanket ban would be unreasonable but a daily review based on conditions that cause damage & risk safety would be unlikely to be viewed by any court as unreasonable.