Course open when it shouldn't

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Nothing round here fully open. My place has only 9 holes open, but should be closed. It was closed Saturday and Sunday, its hammered down all weekend and they've open 9 holes today??????

Mandofred

Visit site
I prefer the course when it's frozen....which is happening less and less every year. Makes for some interesting putting on frozen temp greens.

D

Deleted member 25172

Ours is on clay, and should also ban trolleys more than they do. The last few winters have been pretty grim. It's not a problem that can be solved, however much money is thrown at it, so i don't get too wound up.
The only option is to cough up £25 once a week to play on a chalk course 35 mins away. So thats what we do.

Yeah, I know its a problem that we will always have, but I just find it frustrating that the decision to keep it open seem so short sighted, to me. But then on the other hand, I’m no green keeper.
Several people talk about the course closing itself, but it doesn’t, unless it’s actually raining monsoon style on the day. People don’t go out in the rain, but they will go out on the course no matter what state it is in if it’s not.

D

Deleted member 25172

Clay or not clay!!!!!

Links, heath, sand based courses recover quickly once the water drains and dont suffer much damage, those on Clay less so as the water gets retained and turns to mud in no times and in a lot of cases only gets worse and worse as winter continues. Not sure what the solution is apart from joining a course not based on clay, most cant afford to shut and protect the course as much as they would want/need to

I appreciate that it’s a fine line to walk in regards to getting the cash in, but as it is now, the course isn’t taking many green fee guests as it is. And, those who do come I’d be very surprised if they’d consider to come back any time soon.

I’ll just dream of when I’ll be able to join a links or heathland course. In another life perhaps. :)

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
The front 9 in the valleys are given more time to drain and we start on the 10th. Back 9 is still perfect, drains very well and no mud at all but the front 9, understandably is wetter. Despite all the rain the only hole that seems to be struggling a little is the 5th but that’s the lowest point on the course. No mud, just very soft underfoot. If it gets bad front 9 is carry only.
I’m another one that would rather the course closes to protect it as much as possible but the team at Hindhead really know what they’re doing and I don’t doubt the course manager would close it if required....
This was the 5th on the weekend

Attachments

• E6324857-00FD-45EB-9E5F-C8133CA0608D.jpeg
    E6324857-00FD-45EB-9E5F-C8133CA0608D.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 25

Mandofred

Visit site
Play at Pannal, love it there but like most of the local courses doesn’t do too well with heavy rain
Yep, you have that right. I wasn't playing when Flaxby was open, but people tell me that was built to drain well...... a bunch of the people I know played out there and wished it had stayed open. I'm just kind of daydreaming about changing clubs just for the heck of it....Oakdale is the closest, but I've heard it's about the worst during the winter.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Generally we get it right though we probably do err slightly on the side of opening when perhaps a day or two's rest might be beneficial. I personally wont play in "any conditions" and if I think that I'm going to do damage to the course then I'd prefer not to play...even if the course is open. As a member, me staying away is not going to financially impact the club other than the loss of income of a post round pint and a sausage roll.

If I'm desperate for a round I might choose to put a £20 green fee the way of another club, especially if I know that it is generally going to be firmer underfoot...but the location of those clubs is such that they are not direct local competitors to my home club as they are generally in the opposite direct from my home so I don't feel overly guilty about doing it.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
No problems at my club, but it does have great drainage. Most greens are raised, and course is sand based heathland.

We did have three or four areas that didn’t drain as well, but over the lockdown work was done on these, and they are fine now.(y)

Only muddy areas are some of the paths, but they are next on the to do list.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Ours tries to balance it right and I've missed the last two Saturdays as both times its been closed due to heavy rain all week. They have asked people to only use trollies if there is a medial need which seems to be a surprisingly high number. The club has bought a massive amount of artificial turf and is in the process of laying a nunber of paths to to try and protect the course. They are also continuing to do work on drainage on the parts of the course that need it most. It's a pain but greens team have the final say and we understand the condition of the course is critical to any club. It is tough but I do understand the necessity.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Yep, you have that right. I wasn't playing when Flaxby was open, but people tell me that was built to drain well...... a bunch of the people I know played out there and wished it had stayed open. I'm just kind of daydreaming about changing clubs just for the heck of it....Oakdale is the closest, but I've heard it's about the worst during the winter.
Not played Oakdale but lots of people have good things to say about it, but one of the things they do mention is that it gets wet in winter, I do think they have been doing deals and flexible memberships so it could be a good option. Flaxby closed not long after I moved here, have heard a range of stories about it. How does Knaresborough hold up in the winter?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I only joined my club in October and chose the course on the basis that its largely links and should therefore drain well, and it does in the main. Its never muddy on the links section but can lead to standing water after particularly heavy rain that soon drains off.

Unfortunately, I've been a little miffed to find that the course has gone to full winter tee's and greens and 3 holes closed completely and another par 4 turned to a par 3.

On the one hand I can understand the preservation of the course, particularly closing the 3 holes in the valley that do get sodden, but the remainder of the course is in largely good nick and I don't see any reason for the greens to be closed. A few other members have voiced their dismay as well, saying they've never known it be as many winter greens before, and not for a sustained period of time.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours tries to balance it right and I've missed the last two Saturdays as both times its been closed due to heavy rain all week. They have asked people to only use trollies if there is a medial need which seems to be a surprisingly high number. The club has bought a massive amount of artificial turf and is in the process of laying a nunber of paths to to try and protect the course. They are also continuing to do work on drainage on the parts of the course that need it most. It's a pain but greens team have the final say and we understand the condition of the course is critical to any club. It is tough but I do understand the necessity.
ATM we too have a ban on all types of trolleys and ride on buggies [ no exemptions ]
I've been advocating for years that we really need more PROPER paths and roped of walking areas/routes.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
We always have one course open, although it might be temp greens and preferred lies.

ksoft5u.jpg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH in the time i've been a member i can't ever recal it being closed, well except if its for either maint/ big comp.

i we do get the odd day when the weather is so bad no one plays anyway

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our place is affectionately known as mud wood. It does get bad. Hence no carry for Tash, but the course recovers really well for summertime. Closes for excessive rain and snow only. We as a group play pick and place.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not played Oakdale but lots of people have good things to say about it, but one of the things they do mention is that it gets wet in winter, I do think they have been doing deals and flexible memberships so it could be a good option. Flaxby closed not long after I moved here, have heard a range of stories about it. How does Knaresborough hold up in the winter?
Flaxby was a smashing course, very different to any other in the area. Florida style in N.Yorkshire. Always in good condition, drained well in my experience, always enjoyable to play. I played it about 4 times, annual golf trip to the area. Every year the nice man who signed us in in the temporary clubhouse told us about the plans for the hotel, new clubhouse etc. Every year we smiled and rolled our eyes slightly. The plans were too grand, never going to happen.

A real shame it's gone, it was a fun alternative. Sold for housing, not sure any have actually been built there yet although I could be wrong.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our front 9 normally holds up but the back nine can be like a ploughed field. They do close the course but at the moment I'd be happy with playing 9.