Course open when it shouldn't

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The policy at our place is that the course shuts its-self ie. folk decide not to play or in the current case..... Snow fall shut it last Tuesday.... next inspection Sat am. As the course has buggy paths through-out, buggies, trolleys or carry is the order of the day.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All other things being equal

...a course with a hotel where guests pay for golf breaks, only close if zombie apocalypse in progress. (and only then loses if the MD approves it)
...Proprietary courses with mostly green fee income will stay open more often when it probably shouldn't.
...Members clubs more likely to close ahead of the above.

Exactly the reason I didn’t renew. Ours is proprietary and despite having around 300-400 members still relied heavily on green fees.

What I found was during the wet months we never closed, what’s worse is we offered discounted 4balls during the wet months when other local members courses had closed to protect theirs. Come spring the p&p all went back to their courses as we were left with a mud pit!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Trollies themselves do little damage to the course it is the footfall of users following the same track that causes the wear damage.
Four golfers carrying will approach and leave a green in four different directions. Four trolley users will generally all take the same path.
Which is ......shortest possible route to the next tee which also offers the least line of resistance.;)

Surely a competent green staff can rope areas off to force trolley users on a wide path well wide of any approaches and aprons. Our paths take golfers out towards the rough some 40 yards short of the green and filter them towards the next tee that way. The problem occurs with players carrying who simply step over the rope and keep walking towards the green. Once one does it the others follow. It is ignorant golfers that do the damage and in my experience they are usually the one moaning most when there are bare patches near the green come the spring

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely a competent green staff can rope areas off to force trolley users on a wide path well wide of any approaches and aprons. Our paths take golfers out towards the rough some 40 yards short of the green and filter them towards the next tee that way. The problem occurs with players carrying who simply step over the rope and keep walking towards the green. Once one does it the others follow. It is ignorant golfers that do the damage and in my experience they are usually the one moaning most when there are bare patches near the green come the spring

That is why I said least line of resistance for trolley pullers.
In my humble experience they are the most likely to take a 'short cut' to the next tee.
Sometimes that can even include taking the trolley onto the green for a couple of yards to avoid roped off areas.
God forbid any golfer taking a rope support down to play a shot then forgetting to replace it, that gap is fair game to many as the shortest possible route.

Doodle

Visit site
I haven't played since before Christmas.
It started raining day after day & became a bog.
So it's carry only.
Now we have a nightly frost, so it's rock hard in places & a bog in others + the country's worst temporary greens & yet I look on today's booking sheet & it's rammed with four balls!!! Why?

It's impossible to play golf, the ball either plugs or bounces all over the place, the temporary greens are a joke & you can't feel your fingers on the club.
The clubhouse is shut, so you can't warm up afterwards with a coffee & bacon sarnie.
Absolutely pointless.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
You have to remember we're also a nation where people talk about cold temperatures in degrees Celsius and warm temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit. :D
I remember back in the early 1970s, asking my apprentice to go and measure what length of conduit was needed between 2 points.
He came back and said 144.7 centimetres :eek:, I sent him back to measure it in English , I wasn't joking :ROFLMAO:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We now have a deadly knife man. Every few days the greenstaff find guiding ropes having been cut with what seems like a stanley knife. They aren't just cut in the middle but cut deliberately into 20' lengths. It has just cost £300 to replace the first lot. I can't believe that someone hasn't seen him.

NearHull

Visit site
We now have a deadly knife man. Every few days the greenstaff find guiding ropes having been cut with what seems like a stanley knife. They aren't just cut in the middle but cut deliberately into 20' lengths. It has just cost £300 to replace the first lot. I can't believe that someone hasn't seen him.
That is quite unbelievable- I mean I do believe you - it’s unbelievable that anyone could do such a thing.