Is your course bouncing back?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still a couple of burnt spots but the course is fantastic.
Fairways like carpets very lush best I have seen for years.
Greens are awesome.
Bunkers still crap though

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tees and greens have been fantastic all summer.

Really worried about if the fairways will fully recover. Lots of near totally dead areas. Overseeding was discussed at last meeting but was discounted on costs grounds.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Greens are coming on well but the rest of the course is very patchy.
Large areas of fairway are bare, rough has intermittent growth and bare patches - and your ball always finishes in front of a gift of grass on a bare patch.
If we get a wet winter the course will be largely unplayable I think....the bare patches will just become mid.
It'll be interesting to see how long it takes to fully recover

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Course not in great condition. Fairways have really suffered, and have been scarified in places. Think our great drainage hasn't helped with any rain we have had. Just gone straight through, so fairways still bone dry. Greens were hollowed tined and sanded two weeks ago, but not recovered yet. Playing yesterday you were getting nicer lies in the rough than on the fairway. Surprised we hadn't gone to winter rules. Think heathland courses have suffered more than most.

Hopefully we will get some rain, and continued warm weather to get some decent growth before the winter.

Played Cowrdray Park, parkand course, a couple of weeks ago, and they didn't have a bare patch on their fairways. Just shows what a decent watering system can do, and also having a ready supply of their own water.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I have to say ours has stood up to it really well. After last year when the continuous rain caused major problems (not just for us but for every club in the area) the dry weather has been the making of it. It's allowed the water table to drop, the greens have been fantastic (even in the Autumn meeting at the weekend after a week of heavy rain) they're still putting well.
Unfortunately I've not been in the best of health in the summer so missed it when the course was at its optimum! :(:rolleyes:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Ours is fantastic. We have fairway sprinklers, so even during the drought it played okay (at least compared to some other courses I played during the summer), but now with a little bit of rain and cooler weather as well, it is in really good condition. I went for a short one week holiday last week, though, and the two courses I played there (just about 100 km from where I live, but in a hillier region) were still in a pretty hilarious state. One was pretty much unplayable, because it was build on the side of a hill, so everything had massive slopes anyway, but without grass on the fairway, it was absolutely impossible to control the ball. It did not matter if you hit a good tee shot or just topped the ball off the tee. You could have thrown it onto the fairway ... the result was always the same, it would just keep rolling down until it hit either rough or a bunker somewhere.

Attachments

• badmuenstereifel.jpg
    badmuenstereifel.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 18

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Greens staff are trimming back the palm trees after Saturday's torrential downpour. Other than that, understandably, the course is well watered all year.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our greens are fantastic. Best I can remember.

Fairways however is a different matter. They've improved since the summer, but still have uneven growth/no growth in large areas. The winter could be horrible it they don't fill in.

Around the greens, we've just started a program of reseeding the bare patches, so there will be a fair bit of gur for the next few weeks.

We could do with some more rain - seems to have been a while since the last lot and it has been really sunny, windy and warm over the last few days.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
greens and approaches are beautiful. Fairways are mixed- some bad cracks on a few, lack of grass in many places and some bits starting to be really nice. Probably a few more weeks and faiirways should be much better

D

Deleted member 17920

Both courses have managed to get through the summer pretty much unscathed, greens on both courses have been good all year.

Fairways on the Hotchkin and Bracken have really come back very quickly, just a few patches but that's not bad considering.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had our club champs on Sunday and the players were commenting that our greens were the best they have been all year. Just shows the advantage of an August greens renovation programme.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We had our club champs on Sunday and the players were commenting that our greens were the best they have been all year. Just shows the advantage of an August greens renovation programme.
We do ours at the beginning of September. Not so good now, but they were stunning in August.;)

Good news ? is the heather seems to have done well over the summer dought.:eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Greens are still excellent but the fairways are still very patchy with the odd tufts of grass here and there. We need some prolonged and regular rain to get the grass growing evenly again. No doubt by January I'll be moaning about how long the grass is and how wet underfoot it is

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Hope they are still good on the 30th as I will be doing 36 holes there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope they are still good on the 30th as I will be doing 36 holes there.

Hope you enjoy it. Is it the final?

The reason we switched to an August renovation is so that the greens would recover before the winter. Previously they were done in late September and never recovered in a few years. I note that many of the clubs in the region have done the same.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope you enjoy it. Is it the final?

The reason we switched to an August renovation is so that the greens would recover before the winter. Previously they were done in late September and never recovered in a few years. I note that many of the clubs in the region have done the same.

Yes, its the final. A shame it's the same day as the Ryder Cup singles though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, its the final. A shame it's the same day as the Ryder Cup singles though.

We took a long time to realise our club Champs were on football world cup final day. There was quite a bit of controversy when we decided to postpone but we only had 7 entrants.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We took a long time to realise our club Champs were on football world cup final day. There was quite a bit of controversy when we decided to postpone but we only had 7 entrants.
I think our captain is trying to get an earlier start so that we can see the conclusion.