Is distance embarrassing?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
The player hitting shorter clubs into greens. ALL DAY LONG!
Exactly. The OP is giving his advice on how to improve. It sounds like decent advice to me. He's a better player than me, and his swing looks very nice. I'm struggling to understand why anyone would ignore it unless there was a medical condition, and if so then maybe s golf course is not the best place for them.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nosevi- Are you distances quoted from CG2 or real world? 170yrd out of a 8 iron is tour long…. Not that I'm doubting you but your swing is not 170yrd 8 iron fast. No matter how 'primed' your swing is.

D

Deleted member 15344

He's banging on because he's right Homie. 2 exactly equal players, but one is 2 clubs longer on average. Who's better?

The better player is the one that takes better advantage of the tee shot imo

But the longer hitter is a better player off the tee

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
The better player is the one that takes better advantage of the tee shot imo

But the longer hitter is a better player off the tee
But he's longer with every club. Not just off the tee. His 450 yd Par 4 is driver - 7 iron. The shorter hitter is Driver - 5 wood. Who has the better chance of hitting the green?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So the shorter hitter is better? Really? Feel free to explain that theory to the current worlds best players.

The question was "2 exactly equal players, but one is 2 clubs longer on average. Who's better?"

A player who is 2 clubs longer should be scoring better than the other guy

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site
Nosevi- Are you distances quoted from CG2 or real world? 170yrd out of a 8 iron is tour long…. Not that I'm doubting you but your swing is not 170yrd 8 iron fast. No matter how 'primed' your swing is.

No, as I said my stock shot (which that is) is about 155 yards cary with an 8 iron, sometimes a shade over, GC2 and real world. Gc2 is used by many of the club manufacturers, top shaft manufacturers, R&A are just looking at adopting it and About 50% of the world top 50 golfer, some using before a tournament to fine tune/check their yardage - It's pretty accurate :) To get 170 I close the club face down, open my hips more at impact and lean the shaft forward...... but like I said, why bother, just use a different club :)

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
The question was "2 exactly equal players, but one is 2 clubs longer on average. Who's better?"

A player who is 2 clubs longer should be scoring better than the other guy
He will be scoring better. I never mentioned their handicap. I said they were equal in ability, but one was longer. The longer guy is hitting shorter irons into the green. 2 degrees off line from 150 yards is a lot closer to the pin than 2 degrees off line from 170 yards.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He will be scoring better. I never mentioned their handicap. I said they were equal in ability, but one was longer. The longer guy is hitting shorter irons into the green. 2 degrees off line from 150 yards is a lot closer to the pin than 2 degrees off line from 170 yards.

You should have been clearer with the question then, if the two players are equal, then their scores would be the same.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
you are still learning Homer. You take regular lessons. If that is your belief, then are you following it? And if you are, how is it working for you?

I'm still having lessons. Been about controlling the club head and path much better in the last two years and eradicating all the moving parts. Still managed to go from 14-10 (back to 12 for now) but strike and control (and yes distance has increased) a world away from my starting point. Now I can chip and putt so much better, scores themselves are getting better and still have unfaltering belief I'll be single figures.

However I've invested time and effort to improve. Many don't have any interest in doing so. Where's there extra distance coming from. Not sure in the subsequent posts there's such a thing as 2 exactly the same players. Not sure it matters anyway. It's about how you control your ball. Played with lots of big hitters having to play their next from rough or reload because although they can hit it miles they can't keep it on the golf course

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
And many on here are older golfer and less flexible. Many clubs have seniors as Smiffy pointed out who are more than capable of scoring close to handicap regularly. Many don't have the time or inclination to learn new techniques and I'm just saying for most handicap golfers accuracy off the tee and a sharper short game would produce equally valid and productive results. It's not all about distance and I just think you're approaching it from the wrong way. If I was learning again, I'd go with what was posted by Bob (very respected pro on here) and start with putting and chipping and work up to the longer clubs once I'd learned the full swing with shorter clubs and could control them better.

I doubt if theres one pro in the game who would advocate starting the game with putting.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm still having lessons. Been about controlling the club head and path much better in the last two years and eradicating all the moving parts. Still managed to go from 14-10 (back to 12 for now) but strike and control (and yes distance has increased) a world away from my starting point. Now I can chip and putt so much better, scores themselves are getting better and still have unfaltering belief I'll be single figures.

However I've invested time and effort to improve. Many don't have any interest in doing so. Where's there extra distance coming from. Not sure in the subsequent posts there's such a thing as 2 exactly the same players. Not sure it matters anyway. It's about how you control your ball. Played with lots of big hitters having to play their next from rough or reload because although they can hit it miles they can't keep it on the golf course
Ok, quick question. Would you accept 20 yards further off the tee with the same control you currently have?

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site
And many on here are older golfer and less flexible. Many clubs have seniors as Smiffy pointed out who are more than capable of scoring close to handicap regularly. Many don't have the time or inclination to learn new techniques and I'm just saying for most handicap golfers accuracy off the tee and a sharper short game would produce equally valid and productive results. It's not all about distance and I just think you're approaching it from the wrong way. If I was learning again, I'd go with what was posted by Bob (very respected pro on here) and start with putting and chipping and work up to the longer clubs once I'd learned the full swing with shorter clubs and could control them better.

Bob gave me my first ever lesson, I'm seeing him tomorrow :)

Homer, I'm not saying you have to put 160mph on the ball (in fact I'm not saying you personally have to take the blindest bit of notice to any of this). But lets say you're a not ver flexible senior golf and you hit your drives a little shorter than you have to - perhaps you're trying to hit the ball harder and sliding forwards a tad so striking down on the ball. This gives you more spin, this loses distance. Put the same swing on the ball, keeping behind it and striking up a fraction and the ball will go further. In fact hit it softer but upwards a little keeping you head back a toosh and the ball will go further. If you don't want it to go further that's no snags, honestly, it's your game you play it how you like. But for those who do want it to go further isn't it worth giving a few pointers?

Last edited:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Homer, I'm not saying you have to put 160mph on the ball (in fact I'm not saying you personally have to take the blindest bit of notice to any of this. But lets say you're a not ver flexible senior golf and you hit your drives a little shorter than you have to - perhaps you're trying to hit the ball harder and sliding forwards a tad so striking down on the ball. This gives you more spin, this loses distance. Put the same swing on the ball, keeping behind it and striking up a fraction and the ball will go further. In fact hit it softer but upwards a little keeping you head back a toosh and the ball will go further. If you don't want it to go further that's no snags, honestly, it's your game you play it how you like. But for those who do want it to go further isn't it worth giving a few pointers?

Have you seen the Mark Crossfield you-tube video 24.5 yards longer.
It is basically saying what your saying and its so simple.
Just hitting it right, at the right launch angle adds yards

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

These seniors that have short games good enough to play near hc regularly mostly play off higher handicaps than they did 10 or 20 years ago. Why is this?

Don't have the time or inclination to learn new techniques? Fine, they're probably not bothered about lowering their handicap anyway.

I agree improved accuracy and a sharper short game produce equally valid and productive results with the keyword being 'equally' ie adding distance produces equally good results but short game is all a lot keep banging on about.

Yes, it's not all about distance, in the same way it's not all about short game. You're telling a 5hc he's going on about it the wrong way. Give us a shout when you get to double that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Homer, I'm not saying you have to put 160mph on the ball (in fact I'm not saying you personally have to take the blindest bit of notice to any of this. But lets say you're a not ver flexible senior golf and you hit your drives a little shorter than you have to - perhaps you're trying to hit the ball harder and sliding forwards a tad so striking down on the ball. This gives you more spin, this loses distance. Put the same swing on the ball, keeping behind it and striking up a fraction and the ball will go further. In fact hit it softer but upwards a little keeping you head back a toosh and the ball will go further. If you don't want it to go further that's no snags, honestly, it's your game you play it how you like. But for those who do want it to go further isn't it worth giving a few pointers?

Sorry but without being rude you've not got the faintest idea how I hit the ball and whether I hit down or not and it's a tad condescending for you tell me what I should or shouldn't do. I'll stick to a qualified PGA pro for my lessons thanks :thup:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
These seniors that have short games good enough to play near hc regularly mostly play off higher handicaps than they did 10 or 20 years ago. Why is this?

Don't have the time or inclination to learn new techniques? Fine, they're probably not bothered about lowering their handicap anyway.

I agree improved accuracy and a sharper short game produce equally valid and productive results with the keyword being 'equally' ie adding distance produces equally good results but short game is all a lot keep banging on about.

Yes, it's not all about distance, in the same way it's not all about short game. You're telling a 5hc he's going on about it the wrong way. Give us a shout when you get to double that.

You will be dead:D