Hybids & distance

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I don’t think it’s an issue not matching a 5 iron to a 5 hybrid as all manufacturers have varying iron lofts on their range of irons so it wouldn’t work. As long as your gapping is decent at the top end of your bag.
The lack of consistency of lofts per the cardinal number of irons is a huge issue that is not debated enough. It shows, for me at least, how golf club manufacturing is not customer led.

To describe any equivalence of my hybrids to woods and irons, I will use lofts only.

Cobra Baffler 16° - 18° wood. (this was always a 4-wood in my thinking)
Cobra Baffler 20° - 22° wood or 18° iron (a 2-iron to me)

The "gap" between my 20° hybrid and my 21° iron seems about right for me.

My 21° iron happens to be a Ping G10 3-iron. If I had a set of Taylormade Sim2 irons it would be a 5-iron of 21.5°.

My 20° hybrid has a number 3 on it. This has no meaning to me.

Last edited:

Captain_Black.

Visit site
No, its a case of finding the right swing, or accepting that what the ball does of a hybrid is a function of you and not the club. All hybrids are the same. Club manufacturers and 'fitters' love the idea of, just finding the right one - its how they extract your cash.
But there is no such thing as not getting on with hybrids. And, if you can hit an iron, you can hit a hybrid.
This is absolutely not the case & is a perfect example why people struggle with certain clubs.
I have learned through experience & wasting a lot of cash in the past that it's absolutely vital to get the correct shaft for your type of swing & speed.
A regular shaft from different manufacturers can & does feel completely different.
If I have a shaft that is too heavy / stiff, I struggle to launch the ball & generally it will go low & left.
If I have a shaft that is too light, the ball will launch fine, but will lack distance & fade to the right.
Finding something in the middle is extremely difficult.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also have a Titleist TSR 2 18 degree hybrid and somehow it’s as long as my 3 wood.
Probably inefficient with 3 wood due to the longer shaft. Hybrid you can time a little better, and so strike it well.

Just taken a punt on an 18* TSi hybrid. Currently have a 5 wood, but it launches a little high and spins a bit much...so seeing if the smaller head, and more forward CG will help keep the launch under control

Jason.H

Visit site
Probably inefficient with 3 wood due to the longer shaft. Hybrid you can time a little better, and so strike it well.

Just taken a punt on an 18* TSi hybrid. Currently have a 5 wood, but it launches a little high and spins a bit much...so seeing if the smaller head, and more forward CG will help keep the launch under control

Well my 3 wood is the 16.5 HL model but I might start gaming the TSR and take the 3 wood out.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No, its a case of finding the right swing, or accepting that what the ball does of a hybrid is a function of you and not the club. All hybrids are the same. Club manufacturers and 'fitters' love the idea of, just finding the right one - its how they extract your cash.
But there is no such thing as not getting on with hybrids. And, if you can hit an iron, you can hit a hybrid.

Not true. All hybrids are not the same.

Due to the design some are easy launch, some hit daisy cutters, some have shafts like soft spaghetti, some are extremely closed at address etc etc.

There's loads out there so it's a matter of finding one that suits you.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
An update.
I got my new hybrids last week.
I took them out for a practice round.
I struck them beautifully, no thins or chunks.
The flight is fabulous, not too high, just the flight I was hoping for.
The shafts feel perfect for me.
But, I was pulling shots left, not horrific though, but enough to lose accuracy.
The last 2 holes I think I sussed out the issue, but I need a couple more practice rounds before I'm confident to put them in the bag.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
An update.
I got my new hybrids last week.
I took them out for a practice round.
I struck them beautifully, no thins or chunks.
The flight is fabulous, not too high, just the flight I was hoping for.
The shafts feel perfect for me.
But, I was pulling shots left, not horrific though, but enough to lose accuracy.
The last 2 holes I think I sussed out the issue, but I need a couple more practice rounds before I'm confident to put them in the bag.

Have got a mish mash of hybrids currently in the bag (G425 19 degrees, Cobra 22 degrees, and an ancient 25 degree Nike Vapor). Am pretty consistent with them, and hit them far better than my irons. The Ping goes 175, the Cobra 160 and the Nike 150. Am thinking the 6 and 7 Fli Hi will do the job for shots between 125 and 140 yards as that's a real problem area for me with my irons.