Iron head covers, Yes or No?

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on the use of iron headcovers?

Just bought some new irons (T100s) and thinking of getting some to keep them in good condition but there seems to be a stigma around using them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some sets look good initially but I find those neoprene ones tend to get holes in them very quickly. They also retain moisture and not a good thing now we're in Autumn. I have had them but never again so a no from me

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If you want them to protect your irons, get them. I've never bothered, and with the odd set of softer heads I've been disappointed at how easy they pick up the odd dent. But you're going to be hitting the ground with a swing speed that's more likely to put dinks and dents in them.

I wouldn't let anyone's perception of stigma stop me if I wanted them but they're not for me.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ive no problem with them but get the ones you can tie together. If you don't, you will lose them.
Every pro shop in the world has a box full of lost head/iron covers

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you like the look of bag chattered heads then don't get them.
You'll not protect the face or sole from ground impact but you can save yourself unsightly scars from heads rubbing together.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They are a faff and irritation to your pp, slowing things down further, whilst you are taking them off. No thanks.

As others have pointed out you are going to be whacking a ball / ground with them anyway so don't stress about bag clatter.

dronfield

Visit site
Hi All,

Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on the use of iron headcovers?

Just bought some new irons (T100s) and thinking of getting some to keep them in good condition but there seems to be a stigma around using them.

When i bought my Mizuno MP60s back in 2006, i immediately bought some headcovers to try and protect the nice forged heads.
In no time i got fed up with them and decided they were too much hassle - plus quite easy to lose.

I think for most people the novelty of using them soon wears off.

Rich

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
They are a faff and irritation to your pp, slowing things down further, whilst you are taking them off. No thanks.

As others have pointed out you are going to be whacking a ball / ground with them anyway so don't stress about bag clatter.

Once its occurred noise pollution is one of the very few pollutants that's completely 100% irreversible :cry:

Save Our Ears ;)

Last edited:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bought some for the last new set of irons I got, primarily to use when I carried in winter as my jaunty walk seemed to get my clubs clinking together.

Soon gave them up as a bad job though as I found them an enormous faff and a nuisance.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I initially bought some for our trip to Spain this year, bit of added protection during the flight/luggage loading malarkey. I kept them and still use them but it’s mainly to stop that bloody clattering noise!

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
To the people who find them a PITA....
Do you have headcovers on your woods, hybrids and putter...?
Yes, good point but they seem a lot less fiddly than iron covers. I guess because wood covers etc. are a lot more loose-fitting whereas iron covers are a much snugger fit, so for me, with a touch of arthritis in my thumbs, a lot more fiddly.