Iron head covers, Yes or No?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
purely to keep them in good condition. do you have a head cover on your putter? also, at some point I'm going to sell them. this can only help me get more for them

My putters head cover lives in my boot

Only clubs with covers are the woods

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I use them, always have done, each to their own.
I believe they give a bit of added protection in the bag or when taking them in and out of the boot etc.
Never lost one. (y)

As you say, “each to their own.”

Whoever owns them gets to decide how they want to look after them. There isn’t really a right way or a wrong way, just “your” way.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Most of the Pros and Cons summed up so far apart from one. You should make sure your iron is scrupulously clean after striking the ball before replacing said cover, otherwise there will be more scratches from grit, etc to the club face than any amount of ‘clanking’.

User20204

Visit site
purely to keep them in good condition. do you have a head cover on your putter? also, at some point I'm going to sell them. this can only help me get more for them

I personally couldn't careless if someone had them on or not, it's just my opinion that they are incredibly gay.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No - too much of a faff. Besides - they are golf clubs not the family crystal.

And when I used to carry - and when I occasionally still do - I like the gentle chatter of the club heads - for me one of the sounds of golf. I'd walk with my right hand on the clubheads as they gently clinked together - it made me feel 'close' to my clubs. Yes I know - that probably sounds a little odd.

D

Deleted member 15344

My apologies, would you have preferred I said I thought they were macho.

No I preferred that you didn’t use any sort of derogatory comment aimed at people that use something you don’t like - how about just saying “I don’t like them” or can’t see the point of them etc - why a finger needs to be pointed just because someone uses an iron cover I’ll never know.

User20204

Visit site
No I preferred that you didn’t use any sort of derogatory comment aimed at people that use something you don’t like - how about just saying “I don’t like them” or can’t see the point of them etc - why a finger needs to be pointed just because someone uses an iron cover I’ll never know.

You need to relax, my post was not aimed at anyone, it was my opinion of said covers.

Wolf

Visit site
Personally don't get why there's so much hate for them. I don't use them myself but my old man does and his irons always look so immaculately presented I wonder why I don't buy some.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I've got a set. Purely to reduce bag chatter because I find it annoying. Nice peaceful walk on the golf course and then a load of metal starts banging against each other? It's also made a right mess of the back of the clubs - where the logo is seems to be exactly where the leading edge of the next club sits so they've pretty much all been buggered up.

Don't get the time argument at all. Pull club out of bag, head cover in pocket, address ball, hit ball. Done. However, I have just bought myself a new bag with 14 dividers and so far the chatter is a lot less (noticeable), so I may well get rid...

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Blimey good to see the overly offended brigade are still going strong 😳 ❄️

Personally I just couldn’t be arsed taking the head covers off all the time.
Maybe if I had forged irons I would.

D

Deleted member 1147

Blimey good to see the overly offended brigade are still going strong 😳 ❄️

Personally I just couldn’t be arsed taking the head covers off all the time.
Maybe if I had forged irons I would.
Mine are forged but aren’t particularly damaged.

As for people talking about resale value. I buy clubs to use myself, I’ve never bought any with a thought to flogging them onto someone else down the line.
Perhaps the lesson to be learnt here is that people might do better if they bought the right clubs and stuck to using them rather than chopping and changing!