Iron head covers, Yes or No?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
No.

I was already a bit annoyed at the downside of getting a new putter was that I'd have to keep the head cover on it.

Just something else to faff about with.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used iron covers when I was using forged irons, but not with my current set which are not forged.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I use covers on my driver and Woods with graphite shafts as they are the long type and stop the shaft wearing away in the bag. Once had a driver shaft snap due to being so worn.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yes to having headcovers on woods etc but they all come off as soon as the clubs are on the buggy.

I stopped doing that ages ago. My buggy went over a bump, and my 5i bashed into the crown of my new driver, taking a chip out of the paint. Head covers on for me.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Never understood the take the headcovers off on a buggy thing. They still bump about so I dont want them to clatter about.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have always used them, never lost one and putting them on or taking them off is quick as you can stick the cover in your pocket and put it back on as you walk back to your trolley. Never had a complaint about slow play.

User20204

Visit site
how is looking after your clubs and preventing them being covered in chatter marks a waste of time. my irons cost £800. do you have a cover on your phone?

Genuine question, what is it you are protecting them for or from ? The only thing it can be is clatter marks, which means absolutely nothing when it comes to shot hitting.

Visit site
I play blades, I didn't used to but I do now. I want them to look good as long as possible. And I don't give a shee ite what others say.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Genuine question, what is it you are protecting them for or from ? The only thing it can be is clatter marks, which means absolutely nothing when it comes to shot hitting.

Yeah its just the clatter & as you say that's likely nowt compared to hitting a full shot; although circa 10,000 steps carrying is a lot of clatters per round so they'll definitely build up
(its perfectly possible I don't hit a couple of ions in a round so they'll get zero shot damage but if they're adjacent in the bag they'll get 10,000 tiny clatters as they hit off each other. Not that I'm walking mind :sneaky:)

I just want them to stay looking smart for as long as I can, same as I would if buying a car or new shoes, anything really. Its not even about resale, I don't much care about their value if I wanted to sell them on, I just want them to stay looking smart while they're mine. I've had my current irons 2½ years and put 100+ rounds on them but they genuinely look like they're three months old

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
purely to keep them in good condition. do you have a head cover on your putter? also, at some point I'm going to sell them. this can only help me get more for them

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
purely to keep them in good condition. do you have a head cover on your putter? also, at some point I'm going to sell them. this can only help me get more for them
I sort of get it, but then I think what they are being subjected to in a full shot and it doesn't seem worth it.