Iron head covers, Yes or No?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
To the people who find them a PITA....
Do you have headcovers on your woods, hybrids and putter...?

Woods have paint on the crown that can easily chip. A putter isn't swung at 80mph, unless being thrown so is not susceptible to the same damage.
Clubs are smashed into the ground and balls at 70+ mph, a iron covers may make you feel better but it's not protecting your irons against the most likely damage scenarios.

D

Deleted member 15344

They are a faff and irritation to your pp, slowing things down further, whilst you are taking them off. No thanks.

As others have pointed out you are going to be whacking a ball / ground with them anyway so don't stress about bag clatter.

How can someone be “irritated” by a fellow playing partner having iron covers ? And slowing things down ? Do you have a putter cover or a wood cover etc ?

I play with people who use them and certainly don’t recall someone being slow because of them and certainly not irritated by them , it’s a split second at the most to take a cover off

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Woods have paint on the crown that can easily chip. A putter isn't swung at 80mph, unless being thrown so is not susceptible to the same damage.
Clubs are smashed into the ground and balls at 70+ mph, a iron covers may make you feel better but it's not protecting your irons against the most likely damage scenarios.
I was referring to the amount of time and hassle involved in taking headcovers off rather than the reasons for having them.
When I used iron covers it took me less time to remove and store an iron cover than it did a driver or wood.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
How can someone be “irritated” by a fellow playing partner having iron covers ? And slowing things down ? Do you have a putter cover or a wood cover etc ?

I play with people who use them and certainly don’t recall someone being slow because of them and certainly not irritated by them , it’s a split second at the most to take a cover off
They are a waste of time though.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I was referring to the amount of time and hassle involved in taking headcovers off rather than the reasons for having them.
When I used iron covers it took me less time to remove and store an iron cover than it did a driver or wood.
Fair enough, yes I'd agree they don't slow anyone down.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Once its occurred noise pollution is one of the very few pollutants that's completely 100% irreversible :cry:

Save Our Ears ;)
Ha ha, buy a better bag :D. It is not a big deal but the OP asked a question. In my experience it seems to take people longer to take off iron covers, they seem to be more fiddly, than for drivers or putters. Don't know why, maybe they have just been a bit clumsy. They do also seem prone to being lost mid course so time is spent scouring the ground, retracing steps.

It doesn't apply to everyone with iron head covers, just my experience of the majority.

In terms of the question, 'do people not have covers on drivers or putter', yes they do. If however they are only removing them for those two items then it only happens twice per hole. If they have covers for every club then clearly it is happening every time a club is removed from the bag, ie it is more often.

Don't take it so personally iron cover people, we are just answering a question.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Ha ha, buy a better bag :D. It is not a big deal but the OP asked a question. In my experience it seems to take people longer to take off iron covers, they seem to be more fiddly, than for drivers or putters. Don't know why, maybe they have just been a bit clumsy. They do also seem prone to being lost mid course so time is spent scouring the ground, retracing steps.

It doesn't apply to everyone with iron head covers, just my experience of the majority.

In terms of the question, 'do people not have covers on drivers or putter', yes they do. If however they are only removing them for those two items then it only happens twice per hole. If they have covers for every club then clearly it is happening every time a club is removed from the bag, ie it is more often.

Don't take it so personally iron cover people, we are just answering a question.

That's just what Jesus said! :LOL:

D

Deleted member 21258

Its worth having them just to get rid of the annoying 'clatter' noise

I had them at one stage when I used to carry, the clattering noise drove me nuts. Head covers it was, solved the problem and they do look kind of cool ;)

That was until I lost a couple and then stopped carrying due to age.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I use them. Always have. I have the ones made by big teeth. Faux leather, and nicely lined. They don't fall of, get lost, take time to remove. They stop bag chatter, either when carrying, when bouncing about in my car boot, and when on my electric trolley. Can't see the problem.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not for me. Can't be bothered taking them on and off for every single shot, waste of time and effort. All the dents in my irons have been from shots where I hit an unseen stone etc, not from tapping together in the bag. Really not worth it.

Those comparing it to driver & putter headcovers - I feel like the driver head is more prone to scratching, and you only get it out maybe 10-11 times in the round so it's worth it. The putter wouldn't get any damage from use either, so worth protecting it from bag chatter, as opposed to irons where that's the least of the damage they'd take.

mister v

Visit site
the old head cover debate.......... i had some bought for me by a relative one christmas because thats what people who dont play golf by golfers, i tried to look pleased and chucked them in the shed never to be seen again.............. until i bought some new M2's and i couldnt bare the clatter so fished the covers out the shed and popped them on and have used them ever since.
I will speak to my regular PP's and find out if i have been slowing down play

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have some on my tm p770's. my friend doesn't with his p750's. he's look completely battered with chatter marks all over. mine look new after nearly 2 years