In search of the real 'hidden gems'...

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Okay, it's a slightly overused phrase, but after a discussion in the office it's quite difficult to define it so concisely and precisely any other way.

Anyway, hidden gems. We're putting together a big feature on them later in the year and are after your expert and considered opinion on what are the true hidden gems either in your area or that you've visited on your travels.

The kind of course we're looking for is the type that wouldn't be considered one of the top three, four or five in a given area (depending on county size), isn't in our Top 100, isn't a resort course, doesn't cost a fortune to play (although cheapness shouldn't be the over-riding factor), and is just the type of relatively unsung course you would want to play again the instant your round has finished, or that you find yourself booking a second round on later in the week on holiday because you just have to play it again before you go home.

We have a reasonably comprehensive shortlist, but despite playing a good number of courses between us, there will always be areas we know less about than others, and pockets of the UK & Ireland where our playing experience is more limited.

So please feel free to fire some names our way - one or two suggestions please, rather than long lists - and we'll consider them for inclusion in the final feature, although some will inevitably eventually miss out as the shortlist is certain to exceed the available space.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brough GC, East Yorks. My own Course, and still as superb after 23yrs of playing it as it was when I joined. New 'Master Greenkeeper' in charge now, and looking superb, and will quite possibly be back to its very very best as when we hosted a Seniors Tour Event years back.

Brough GC

Fulford GC, York. Maybe not as long as is required for Tour events any more, but visually - a beautiful course, and well worth anyone's money.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I quite enjoyed Cooden Beach last year, a meet organised by Smiffy, and it was pretty popular. We are all going again this year.

Philm

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Kirkistown Castle Co Down, Northern Ireland

a links course that provides a stern challenge,

lovely greens throughout, well protected with bunkers.

starts and finishs with two par 5s though the real killer is the Par 4 10th

Phil

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd nominate East Berks where I played as a junior. Short by today's standards but some great holes and for me meets the "I really want to play it again" test as you walk off the last green. Not so much heather as in my day but a lovely little course.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
People that play my gaff always say good things but I am biased ;) Also I like narin and portnoo and cruit island, they are both tucked away on the atlantic coast and are cheap to play and both offered a very welcoming atmosphere when I played them. The north west of Donegal has some really superb links courses that are all tucked away and never too busy.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry I mis-read the title. I thought it was "complete s***-holes". Then I could have also added Horton Park in Epsom and Cherry Lodge near Biggin Hill.

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Oliva Nova Golf Club near Valencia, Spain. Although not sure if it's a hidden gem as if you believe everything you read, it's been voted as Seve's best layout. Without a doubt the best course I have played tho, even tho it is very hard with the amount of water there.

whitecraigs Golf course Whitecraigs Golf course a James Braid course and although within a city you don't see houses/roads etc from most holes and nice views to the Campsies in the distance. 106 years old, only played it once but thoroughly enjoyed it :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wimbledon Common. Not long but defends its par well and great greens. Friendly welcome and not overly expensive.

I'd have to also recommend my home course. Despite being less than 7 years old it has a mature feeling of a course that has been there much longer. Again, no pushover to play and some real testing par 3's make par a good score.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always champion Piltdown GC in Sussex. A great test even though there is not a single bunker on the course.

They have recently improved the website, although I still think some of the photos don't do the holes justice - worth a look though:

Piltdown GC

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Alnmouth (foxton) up in Northumberland. Superb greens and awesome views, the facilities are cracking too. Not bad for around 40 quid.

Also Hexham is really nice too and I always like playing there.