In search of the real 'hidden gems'...

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would class most of the courses around me as 'hidden' as nobody has heard of them and they never feature in magazines. Do not get more hidden than Stoke Rochford, subtly concealed behind a petrol station on the A1 but the course is playing superbly at the moment. Over the border in Rutland you have Rutland Water, a loverly pay and play course that I have seen develop since its early days as a par 3.

And I'd add Belton Park into the mix too. Don't know if it's considered one of the best in Lincs (it should be) but having played it last saturday, it's in as good condition as I've ever seen it in the last 20 years. Greens needed a cut but it was very late on Saturday afternoon and they were truer than a true thing.

To this day it's still in my top 3 favourite courses.

For my money the best parkland course in the East Midlands

I would have mentioned Belton park on reputation alone but never having played it despite living 5 minutes away I left it out.

I'll have to force you round there next time I'm back. You'll love it.

Sounds like a Lincs meet is due for the Golden Chipper :p

My addition to the list would have to be Market Rasen - beautiful tree lined place.

Jaymosafehands

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Brough GC, East Yorks. My own Course, and still as superb after 23yrs of playing it as it was when I joined. New 'Master Greenkeeper' in charge now, and looking superb, and will quite possibly be back to its very very best as when we hosted a Seniors Tour Event years back.

Brough GC

Fulford GC, York. Maybe not as long as is required for Tour events any more, but visually - a beautiful course, and well worth anyone's money.

I'd go with with, and Beverley Golf Club also. Very interesting layout!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few spring to mind

+1 for Brokenhurst, I'm giving serious thought to joining next year. However I'd definitely say it's in the top 5 in Dorset/Hampshire & must be near the top 100.

Chislehurst in Kent, short, tight par 66 but always in immaculate condition

Burley in the New Forest, 9 holes 18 tees. It's on common land so the ponies & cows have grazing rights, the fairways can be a bit undefined but the greens are amazing. Really quick & true if you can avoid the hoof prints

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
blackwell near bromsgrove, although I do see this is now in the 100-200 bracket

Hardly a hidden gem....oh, hold on, it is, cause it's hidden from anyone trying to get on there. :eek:

Great course, need to know a member. :p

HopemanMan

Visit site
Hidden Gems

Pleased to see someone mention Hopeman on the Moray coast. I'm from Hopeman (probably my user name gives it away) but this seaside course is worth it for the signature hole Prieshach alone. It's Paul Lawrie's favourite par three.
Also thanks to the reader who mentioned Golf on the Rocks. I'm not here to punt my new book - people make their own choices - but what I will say is that Harris in the Outer Hebrides, Whalsay in Shetland and Shiskine on Arran are all wonderfully hidden gems.

T

thecraw

Re: Hidden Gems

Shiskine on the Isle of Arran. Beautiful and fun.

Traigh Golf Course near Arisaig. Best setting, especially at sunset.

Edzell is a good call Stevie.

Boat is too well known now to be a hidden gem in my opinion.

Dunaverty, in the shadow of the Machrihanish courses is a great track.

Kingussie is another I really enjoyed.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Re: Hidden Gems

There are plenty of courses that I've played that I would love to go back and play again.

Scotscraig. Superb course.

Alyth. Peace and tranquility, and it was in absolutely gorgeous condition when we played there.

Pitlochry. A "theatre in the hills". One of the truly gorgeous courses without a par 5 in sight and scenery to die for.

Piltdown. Already mentioned. No bunkers but a tough test.

Beau Desert. A true "hidden gem". I will go back there and play one day!!

Whittington Heath. Bloody hell, it was tough. But in superb condition and not a name that springs to mind when thinking of golf courses.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Agree with Piltdown. Definitely a hidden gem.

I would also say Brockenhurst Manor and Berkhamstead - both very good.

Others of note that are pretty local to me:

Worthing
Blackmoor
Crowborough Beacon
Hayling Island

Regrettably I can't agree with Murph on Cooden - sorry mate! :eek: I played there last week for the second time and thought it was not the best. Too easy to hit a good shot and end up with a bad result. Too short off the yellows to be a good test too. I came second to last out of 20 players and I got 33 points! Maybe I am just bitter?!

Thing is, quite a few of the courses mentioned, ie: beau desert, crow borough beacon, ash ridge, blackmoor, were just outside the top one hundred. Hardly 'hidden gems'?

I liked Cooden beach. Thought it was a fun place to play, not stupid hard, and was a bit different to the normal courses I play. Variety and all that, it's a good thing.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
Castletown, Peel & Ramsey are great courses in the Isle of Man that not many people will have played, I would put forward the Eden at St Andrews as weel thats a lovely little course that doesn't seem to get many mentions.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
May be a little late but one to add to the list having played it today is Northampton County, was a surprisingly nice golf course.

Situated just north of Northampton, a very tough parkland course with a bit of gorse added in for good measure. Very tight in places but a decent test if you can keep it in play off the tee.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Wildernesse near Sevenoaks for the first time today and what a cracker it is. Super layout and super condition.

It's close neighbour, Knole Park is another great course, but the two couldn't be more different.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I reckon Ardglass GC doesnt get as much publicity as it should. forst 6 holes are along and sometimes over the edges of the rocky jagged cliffs. If you are near par after the front nine, you arnt doing too bad, not as penal as RCD or RP but certainly a fantastic course.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played one down in Surrey recently, Rusper Golf Club. It used to be a 9 holer and only recently has gone to 18. It was around £20 to play and the facilities (club house and pro shop) were both a bit 'shabby'. However, despite me judging the book by the cover I was surprised by what I found!

After an easy start, the course becomes tree lined and taked in some really interesting, attractive and tough holes. The greens were sharp and it was a real tough test.

I would reccommend it and I doubt many have played it. I would say a definate 'hidden gem'.