In search of the real 'hidden gems'...

D

Deleted member 1418

Wimbledon Common. Not long but defends its par well and great greens. Friendly welcome and not overly expensive.

Wimbledon Common / London Scottish as both clubs share the same course!! :D Agree with Homer on the quality of the greens - they're great. Also the course has three of the toughest par 3's (well over 200 yards) that you are ever likely to play!

Also agree with Murph on Cooden Beach.

Also a shout for Reigate Heath - a gorgeous 9-hole track, but with 18 tee boxes that offer a totally different approaches to how the holes are played.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm obviously going to say South Staffordshire GC. But in fairness it's an ex open qualifying venue, now back in excellent condition and probably the best course I've played this year and since I've played Blackmoor, that says a lot.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would class most of the courses around me as 'hidden' as nobody has heard of them and they never feature in magazines. Do not get more hidden than Stoke Rochford, subtly concealed behind a petrol station on the A1 but the course is playing superbly at the moment. Over the border in Rutland you have Rutland Water, a loverly pay and play course that I have seen develop since its early days as a par 3.

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
Jezz, if you Google 'Golf on the Rocks' .. a book just released with the author playing 18 island courses on the west coast of Scotland, it could provide some ammunition for your article.

It covers golf courses from Walsey(spl?)- the most northerly course in the UK round to Arran, with lots of wee stories about them all.Some are gems but some - North Uist - are rather less gem like ... 'you see it is still June so you are too early for the course to be playing' ... all that was to be seen was a peat bog!!

Definately NOT a 'GOLF' book .. more a story built around his adventures playing the courses.

Birthdays etc coming up? Could do worse!!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Brett Vale is a good shout for a hidden gem.

Even with Jezz's definition, I'm not sure these count, but they are either lovely, quirky, cheap or all three: Hever, Silverdale and Morecambe.

Recently played Bondhay, and while some other forum members may mock this, I really liked it and the greens were fantastic. I'd put that in the list.

Finally, in Ireland, Rathsallagh is truly wonderful and almost never mentioned. You must at least look at that one.

stef92

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Trentham near Stoke on Trent is a cracking track that never seems to be in the limelight much whatsoever.

It used to be a Open Qualifying, and is always a stiff test.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'd have to also recommend my home course.

Homer.
I hate to say it mate, but there is no way, no way on earth, that I would describe Ascot as a "hidden gem".
It's not a bad course, don't get me wrong, but a 230 yard par 3 1st hole and a newt nature reserve do not make a prety standard course a "hidden gem".
Beau Desert. Hidden Gem.
Tyrrells Wood. Hidden Gem.
Whittington Heath. Hidden Gem.
Blackmoor. Hidden Gem.

They are hidden gems mate.

DCB

Visit site
How about Hopeman up on the Moray Coast. It's well worth the trip to play and it has some great views into the bargain.

J_F and the Clarkes Bar crew played there just recently and John raved about it.

I'd also say, Braids No1 ( there used to be a No2) in Edinburgh has to be one of the better municipal course courses in the country. Great views, a course for tactical golf rather than 'let it rip' golf and a course that can name James Braid and Tommy Armour as players who played over the course. The course still hosts some prestigious local events such as The Dispatch Trophy, a team event that carrys a fair bit of kudos.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Goring and Streatley is a lovely course with great views and elevation changes. Hills ! Quick greens and a par 5 down a severe hill that has been driven. Proper members club, with a good modern clubhouse.

D

Deleted member 1147

My top few in and around Derbyshire would be:

Burton-on-Trent
Kedleston
Cavendish
Ashbourne
Woollaton
Buxton & High Peak

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would class most of the courses around me as 'hidden' as nobody has heard of them and they never feature in magazines. Do not get more hidden than Stoke Rochford, subtly concealed behind a petrol station on the A1 but the course is playing superbly at the moment. Over the border in Rutland you have Rutland Water, a loverly pay and play course that I have seen develop since its early days as a par 3.

And I'd add Belton Park into the mix too. Don't know if it's considered one of the best in Lincs (it should be) but having played it last saturday, it's in as good condition as I've ever seen it in the last 20 years. Greens needed a cut but it was very late on Saturday afternoon and they were truer than a true thing.

To this day it's still in my top 3 favourite courses.

For my money the best parkland course in the East Midlands

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Church Stretton - Three holes on the way up to the top of the Long Mynd and a view to match any in the country. A challenge at any time but the wind makes if different every time. It is an upland links in the middle of the country that is over 100 years old and its location makes it quiet through the year. The car park could not cope with too many vehicles though due to the location of the clubhouse half way up the Long Mynd and the winding road up to it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

And I'd add Belton Park into the mix too. Don't know if it's considered one of the best in Lincs (it should be) but having played it last saturday, it's in as good condition as I've ever seen it in the last 20 years. Greens needed a cut but it was very late on Saturday afternoon and they were truer than a true thing.

I would have mentioned Belton park on reputation alone but never having played it despite living 5 minutes away I left it out.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

I would have mentioned Belton park on reputation alone but never having played it despite living 5 minutes away I left it out.

I'll have to force you round there next time I'm back. You'll love it.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lagganmore in Dumfries and Galloway, good course, superb value and virtually empty. There is a very poorly written review of it in the review forum!!!!

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Many thanks for all your replies so far.

Some interesting suggestions that are new to us, and a number that strengthen the cases of some of the courses we already had earmarked (or at least that's what we'll claim when the piece comes out!)

Keep them coming please...

bogside84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My club was used for the Scottish Seniors last week the handicap limit was 5.Irvine Golf Club is only 6500 yards long but the best score was a 70.
144 golfers played 2 rounds and 42 played the final day the winning score was 7 over.Golf courses do not need to be over 7000 yards to be a good test of golf.If anyone is in the West of Scotland (next to Royal Troon) and looking for a good course it is well worth a visit.