In search of the real 'hidden gems'...

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was really impressed by Morecambe when I played there with splashtryagain from the forum.

Heaton Park in Manchester is a great little course aswell. Used to be in great nick but I think Mack Golf have it now so not sure how that's worked out.

The Glen in North Berwick isn't so hidden but quite possibly my favourite course. Really enjoy playing round there and the views across the Firth of Forth are impressive.

MoonPig

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Brough GC, East Yorks. My own Course, and still as superb after 23yrs of playing it as it was when I joined. New 'Master Greenkeeper' in charge now, and looking superb, and will quite possibly be back to its very very best as when we hosted a Seniors Tour Event years back.

Brough GC

Fulford GC, York. Maybe not as long as is required for Tour events any more, but visually - a beautiful course, and well worth anyone's money.

I agree Brough is nice Macster but wouldn`t you consider it to be in the top 3 / 4 in our area? I guess you could argue over the size of area that needs to be considered but i have always seen Brough, Hessle and Hull GC to be in the top 5 in and around East Yorkshire. From what Jez has described as a "true" hidden gem then im not sure Brough would fit the criteria. Perhaps somewhere like Beverley, Hornsea or even Burstwick (biased as its my home club) would be more along the lines of what would qualify. Only my opinion of course.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
All of tehse are "must play agin this week mrs sev112 please pelase please please" courses that dont get much of a press

Painswick Beacon (just outside Gloucester)
Ceann Sibeall (just north of Dingle in Kerry, teh most westerly golf course in Europe)
Loch Leven (on the north side of teh loch, 9 holes, you need your crampons and skis with you)
Anstruther - because of the 3 holes around the turn, especially the rockies.

And i think this doesnt count, but Pennard - the links in teh sky.

And just for a bit of fun, can i add Bearwood lakes, as FullThrottle was driving up and down the road several times trying to find it ;)

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got to go with Morecambe, Lancaster and the not so hidden Silloth. All quality courses to be had for not too much money. Morecambe is a mckenzie, Lancaster a Braid so good pedigree and both very well maintained.
PS - cheers NWjocko!

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Painswick Beacon (just outside Gloucester)

Is that this one: http://www.painswickgolf.com/

If so, awesome. I have a round to play there that we got via groupon for £9 each!

Yep absolutely spot on - you will love it ; in some ways it's a bit like Pennard (links in the sky) as you weave your way through medieaval (?) earthworks. Quite a few blind shots. BUt huge elevation changes.
And to cap it all, both times i played, there was just a courtesy box for your green fees :)

That was 20 years ago though :(
Enjoy

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Around here there's Chiltern Forest - hidden because it's in a wood - and Ellesborough - a course without a flat lie on it!
Magnolia Park - not really hidden as it's in full view of the M40(about a mile or 2 away) is a good test when it's still - when it's windy it's a nightmare...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Magnolia Park a hidden gem - really? Its on reciprocal at our place and I wouldnt bother playing it for free (the course 2 mins round the corner called Studley Wood is far better, or at least used to be havent been there for a few years)

S

Snelly

Agree with Piltdown. Definitely a hidden gem.

I would also say Brockenhurst Manor and Berkhamstead - both very good.

Others of note that are pretty local to me:

Worthing
Blackmoor
Crowborough Beacon
Hayling Island

Regrettably I can't agree with Murph on Cooden - sorry mate! :eek: I played there last week for the second time and thought it was not the best. Too easy to hit a good shot and end up with a bad result. Too short off the yellows to be a good test too. I came second to last out of 20 players and I got 33 points! Maybe I am just bitter?!

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bleated on about this place (see April Review) but Askernish is the ultimate hidden gem. Reckon these pictures should say it all, try to ignore the cows/sheep.

P1030187.jpg

P1030181.jpg

P1030179.jpg

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
North Wales has some crackers , Bull bay, Nefyn, Conwy. Another for me that has been spoken about on here, Glen Golf Club in North Berwick.

Lots of people talk about the big Links courses in Northern Ireland, but a course I really like and play a lot as its just round the corner from the in-laws is Cairndhu golf club . Its not a links but has some great holes and spectacular views.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
cracking photo's lobthewedge golf as it should be played, i'll throw in edzell a cracking course and lovely old fashioned clubhouse.

and the valley course at royal portrush which sits next to the illustrious dunluce course,the local reckon its a better track and at £35 a round well worth the value,best greens i've played on this year

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
a strong second for Stoke Rochford, every hole is different (unlike some of the better known courses eg Duke's at Woburn)

also a second, or is it third, for Cooden Beach (just too far to get back to for one day)

Ashridge, near Berkhamsted. Very relaxing feel to it, and some of the best food I've ever seen at a golf club.

and I wouldn't pass by Grimsby if I was in the area