I'm playing a new course for the first time... (Rolling thread)

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm playing Secret Valley next week in Cyprus. Anyone played it?

I played it earlier on this year, nice enough course but I didn't particularly enjoy it. Definitely a course you have to manage your way round rather than try and smash driver off every tee.

Are you playing any other courses while you're out there?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played it earlier on this year, nice enough course but I didn't particularly enjoy it. Definitely a course you have to manage your way round rather than try and smash driver off every tee.

Are you playing any other courses while you're out there?

Agree with this. Lots of streams and tight fairways. I've played Aphrodite Hills a lot over the years and really enjoyed it. they always have offers on also. Elea is a cracker too but quite expensive.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree with this. Lots of streams and tight fairways. I've played Aphrodite Hills a lot over the years and really enjoyed it. they always have offers on also. Elea is a cracker too but quite expensive.

They're the other 2 courses we played on our trip. Stayed at Aphrodite Hills and loved it, but Elea was definitely my favourite of the 3.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm guessing bunker trouble, absolutely brutal aren't they!

Tough course to score on, every hole like a minefield.

Only went in 2. Cost me 4 shots though!

What cost me more was playing mince :rofl: Serves me right for having blinders in the two previous outings.

The more 8 think about after 24hrs, it's a beauty of a course, especially the finish.

Have a good one up in Scotland.

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played Kingswood yesterday for the first time for a bit of an away-days with some lads. Good course, nice barmaid 😇

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Branston Golf and CC tomorrow in our industry association charity day off the yellows in a scramble.

Had a look of the website and 16 of the 18 have water!!

Anyone had a knock there and what's the strategy - do I load my bag full of Pinnacle reds?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Branston Golf and CC tomorrow in our industry association charity day off the yellows in a scramble.

Had a look of the website and 16 of the 18 have water!!

Anyone had a knock there and what's the strategy - do I load my bag full of Pinnacle reds?

It's not amazing but I quite like the place. There is one hole (9th I think) where the green is set back in water, so surrounded on 3 sides.
If you hit a decent tee shot you've only got a wedge left, but you will find out how "free and easy" your swing is when there is no good miss. Very hard not to try to steer it.

Be sure you know where you're going on the second. It's a dog-leg left but not obvious from the tee what the line is.
Take a line a little more left than you think you need on the 4th.

The 18th is fun playing your approach to the green over water when the weather is nice because the clubhouse is directly behind and there will be lots of people outside having a beer and watching the golfers come in.

There's also (I think) a par 5 on the front 9 that has a hazard in front of the green that you can't easily see from the fairway so be careful about getting as far as you can towards the green.

Disclaimer: It's been a while since I played there and my memory is getting worse so it could all be made up!

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
:D did you tame it though?

Lol, not really. Think the course quite easily tamed us and the rest of the field. When we arrived a few scores were already on display, first group had 2 NRs and a 101 off 10... Net 70 was winning when we left off 15 which was some round I have to say but there were many NRs. LQs 0.1 has apparently shown up on his handicap this morning so not reductions only, though.

Would I go back - yes, for the open at £50 but i wouldn't dream of paying full green fee. It's too hard a course to enjoy, certainly from a first-timers perspective.