If you could only play one club in a round what would you pick and why?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Remember seeing recently bubba saying when he was a kid he regularly just went round and played a full round with just one club. If you had to pick a club what would it be and why?

I'd love to say a 6 iron but the 9th on ours you need a carry of about 180 and I prob ain't getting that with my 6; for that and for ease of putting is probably go with a 3 iron though getting out bunkers would be near impossible.

If you done a challenge like this what do you think you would score? I know I'd NR but I think I'd maybe get 10 points stableford- what do you think? Could be fun I think

C

c1973

7 iron.

When I was a wee boy all I had at first was a 5 & 7 iron, so I've always been pretty good with them. 7 seems a little more versatile, so I'd take that, knowing some par 3s might be a struggle.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If it was a links course I'd like to say 3 wood, but then not much chance of an up and down out of the 'Road Bunker' with that!:eek:
Got to be a 7 or 8 iron for me.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tried playing 9 holes armed with only a 3 iron this morning and loved it. Shot a respectable(for me) 54 strokes/14 points. If I done it again would have definitely also taken a putter as it probably cost me anywhere between 6-9 strokes. Highlight of the round was getting a 5 on par 5. Stroke index 5

Was a real eye opener for me and helped my course management understanding as was more careful plotting my way around the course. Also times when I was playing sideways etc to avoid trying to chip over bunkers which probably cost me strokes. Also made me realise the holes I can quite easily drop the driver.

The other thing it helped with was my practice with my 3 iron as its a club I've struggled with but ended up hitting it quite well off the deck and off the tee was hitting it great.

It's actually gave me a bit of a dilemma as I had dropped it from my bag.

Would recommend this to anyone though maybe take a putter too.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thought about this and thought probably my 5 wood.
I can use it for driving and fairways. Also my iron shots are so poor lately that I'll often use it for approach shots in a sort of punch run style. At least I can keep a fairly good line that way.
Of course I'd be be buggered in bunkers or pitching over hazards though :(

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are ways to make a 6 iron carry 160... they are just not pretty, you have to be inventive and not play inside the box!

Failing that go around trouble?

I would choose an 8 iron, good enough to get me out of bunkers, rough and has reasonable distance.

SVB

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have an annual foresommes s/ford comp that is played over 12 holes during early evening and is a one club (per person, no swapping!) format.

I've taken a 7 wood, 6 iron and 23 deg Hybrid in the past. 6 iron seemed to work best for me (course played on has no bunkers mind you and the stableford rather tham medal format is a 'must have'!
S

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
More than a little confusion here between the learning and the scoring aspects of selecting a club in this context.

Bubba, Seve, Lee (T) and others weren't doing it to score well - they did it to learn (or because it was all they had!).

As such it's not about which club; just pick any club and do it! Unfortunately for most people they are as likely to have the time to appreciate such exercises fully as they are to enjoy foresomes. Taking every club out the bag longer than a 4 iron, or shorter than an 8, are a slightly more enjoyable version of the same principle. It's not about how you score - it's everything to do with the practical aspects of using the club for things it's not really designed for and, ultimately, it's advanced course management (positioning yourself so that you have a viable option with the available club really makes you think).

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
More than a little confusion here between the learning and the scoring aspects of selecting a club in this context.

Bubba, Seve, Lee (T) and others weren't doing it to score well - they did it to learn (or because it was all they had!).

As such it's not about which club; just pick any club and do it! Unfortunately for most people they are as likely to have the time to appreciate such exercises fully as they are to enjoy foresomes. Taking every club out the bag longer than a 4 iron, or shorter than an 8, are a slightly more enjoyable version of the same principle. It's not about how you score - it's everything to do with the practical aspects of using the club for things it's not really designed for and, ultimately, it's advanced course management (positioning yourself so that you have a viable option with the available club really makes you think).

I wasn't doing it to score well per se but when I tried it was still aiming to get ball on hole in minimum amount of shots. So made me think so much more rather than the distance I have is = this club. A lot of times my 2nd shot was a bump and run so having to consider hazards etc with this really opened my mind,

The hardest shots were anywhere between 100-150 yards, rough between myself and green etc.

I kind of wish I was still at uni and had more skiving time to try exercises like this as I'd easily try it with most clubs.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Retire to the clubhouse and have a coffee. As pointless an exercise as 3 & 5 club competitions. The rules of golf allow you to use 14.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do sometimes go out with one club in the evening for a quick nine and vary the club to force me to be inventive with it.
The best I have done is 2 over handicap with an 8 iron. Really surprised me how well I did with it.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Definetly a 7 iron for me. most versatile club in the bag.and long enough to get over the pondand ditch off our 5th :)