I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Managed 9 holes and played ok but couldn’t putt for toffee - had 5 birdie chances and only converted 1.

Hopefully I’ll get another 9 in on Thursday before a trip to Blackmore on Sunday

Teebs

Visit site
Got well beaten 7&6 in my local area scratch matchplay. He was -4 gross through 18 and was -3 when we shook hands.

Nice lad, great player but the neutral venue was toss and my least favourite course in the area. Flat, long, rubbish greens and completely boring.
Happy to have reached the semi finals and beat 2 players with lower handicaps to get there..

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
2nd round of the Strathtyrum today, this time I was on the New Course, a long painfully slow 5 hour round, The first nine was mostly into the wind which was quite challenging, but I holed a couple of long putts and despite an hiccup of a 3 putt I didn't play badly, a couple more 3 putts spoilt the back nine but I was round in 89 to add to my 86 yesterday and I only missed qualifying the the main scratch knockout by 2 shots, I did however qualify for the handicap knockout, the first round I am playing a girl from a club about 10 miles from mine who I have played with before.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I was awful.
Played with @splashtryagain in the pair open at Silloth. My God, what a course. Absolutely belting time was had, witha good bit of banter with the other pair who were members.
Highlight of the round was asking Andy where the line to the green was. "Just left of that gorse bush, and a touch left in the air will be perfect." came the response. So I hit probably the best pitching wedge I've hit in months, exactly where he told me to. "That's well left!" came a cry. "I meant the right hand gorse bush, not the left one!". Queue lost ball in huge gorse bush 6 yards left of the flipping green! 🤦🏻‍♂️
Can't believe he's agreed to play next year! 🤣
Screenshot_20230809_165920_Photos.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Went on a club collecting jaunt with @Voyager EMH today.
We collected ebay purchases of vintage clubs from Northampton and Milton Keynes and then played a round of golf at Windmill Hill GC with vintage clubs that we'd brought with us.

My haul of clubs are currently in the car boot awaiting an opportunity to smuggle them into the house without the good lady spotting.

Windmill Hill GC was designed by Henry Cotton back in the early 1970s, I assume for Milton Keynes Council as part of the amenities for the thriving new town.
It's a decent length, par 73 course and in good condition considering it must be run on quite modest means.

The only two areas that I'd like to see some investment in were the bunkers (isn't that always the case on budget courses? Mind you, the heavy rain we've had the last month or so has probably made maintenance difficult) and the greens, which were some of the slowest I can ever remember putting on!

I started well by parring the first three holes but then had two doubles followed by a disastrous 5 over par 9 on the 6th where I had numerous bad breaks.
From then on play was fairly steady with the odd par thrown in to keep the excitement up.

A very enjoyable day and thanks to Voyager for driving!

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went on a club collecting jaunt with @Voyager EMH today.
We collected ebay purchases of vintage clubs from Northampton and Milton Keynes and then played a round of golf at Windmill Hill GC with vintage clubs that we'd brought with us.

My haul of clubs are currently in the car boot awaiting an opportunity to smuggle them into the house without the good lady spotting.

Windmill Hill GC was designed by Henry Cotton back in the early 1970s, I assume for Milton Keynes Council as part of the amenities for the thriving new town.
It's a decent length, par 73 course and in good condition considering it must be run on quite modest means.

The only two areas that I'd like to see some investment in were the bunkers (isn't that always the case on budget courses? Mind you, the heavy rain we've had the last month or so has probably made maintenance difficult) and the greens, which were some of the slowest I can ever remember putting on!

I started well by parring the first three holes but then had two doubles followed by a disastrous 5 over par 9 on the 6th where I had numerous bad breaks.
From then on play was fairly steady with the odd par thrown in to keep the excitement up.

A very enjoyable day and thanks to Voyager for driving!
Grew up playing there every Saturday morning in the late 80’s - good to hear it’s still going

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Popped down TopGolf with the wife. More expensive than a driving range but much nearer to home and she enjoys it there anyway. Striking pitch and 7 iron fairly decent. Main swing thought was actually turning my chest to face the target during the follow-through, I have a feeling my poor striking on the weekend was down to just swinging with my arms. Hybrid was a lot more hit and miss though, thinking about turning had me fatting it a few times so maybe I was turning and leaving my arms behind, God knows. Not too many big slices though which is good at least.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had our annual 'itinerants' get-together at Rickmansworth. Devil alone knows why we go there but we do. (For over 20 years now ...) Anyhow, it may not be much of a test of golf, but at least it's cheap and in not too bad nick for a muni. (But the tees definitely need some TLC - or failing that, some grass). Beautiful weather and I played ok - messed up two holes badly, but pretty good for the rest. A total pain in the jacksie to get to from SE London and may have to reconsider next year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had our annual 'itinerants' get-together at Rickmansworth. Devil alone knows why we go there but we do. (For over 20 years now ...) Anyhow, it may not be much of a test of golf, but at least it's cheap and in not too bad nick for a muni. (But the tees definitely need some TLC - or failing that, some grass). Beautiful weather and I played ok - messed up two holes badly, but pretty good for the rest. A total pain in the jacksie to get to from SE London and may have to reconsider next year.
Not much of a test? It has two of the hardest par 3s I've played. 😆

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just done 11 holes practicing with the youth, played a couple of balls on a few holes, and we played a few off the white tees and the reds - just to see how much easier it is to make pars when you knock a few yards off the length of the hole. Loads of wildlife out on the course, hardly any humans, it was awesome. (y)

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Just done 11 holes practicing with the youth, played a couple of balls on a few holes, and we played a few off the white tees and the reds - just to see how much easier it is to make pars when you knock a few yards off the length of the hole. Loads of wildlife out on the course, hardly any humans, it was awesome. (y)

So how did the scoring compare?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So how did the scoring compare?

Hard to say as some holes we picked up once we'd got to the green, but on the 5 holes we did play both tees, we were generally on the green in regulation, whereas off the whites we weren't.

Perhaps the most noticeable aspect was the fairway bunkers and hazards weren't even in play off the reds.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was awful.
Played with @splashtryagain in the pair open at Silloth. My God, what a course. Absolutely belting time was had, witha good bit of banter with the other pair who were members.
Highlight of the round was asking Andy where the line to the green was. "Just left of that gorse bush, and a touch left in the air will be perfect." came the response. So I hit probably the best pitching wedge I've hit in months, exactly where he told me to. "That's well left!" came a cry. "I meant the right hand gorse bush, not the left one!". Queue lost ball in huge gorse bush 6 yards left of the flipping green! 🤦🏻‍♂️
Can't believe he's agreed to play next year! 🤣
View attachment 48881

Jeez it was brutal today mind.

How did your lot get on, score...?

We Teed off 230pm
Slight breeze
3 holes later.....2-3 club wind I'd say
Thoroughly enjoyed it though, as normal, when playing the course
It does beat you up a bit mind
Me and wayman managed 36 points
Stu (kraxx68) and Paul (hacker Hughes) shot 25pts

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Jeez it was brutal today mind.

How did your lot get on, score...?

We Teed off 230pm
Slight breeze
3 holes later.....2-3 club wind I'd say
Thoroughly enjoyed it though, as normal, when playing the course
It does beat you up a bit mind
Me and wayman managed 36 points
Stu (kraxx68) and Paul (hacker Hughes) shot 25pts
We had 29 points! 🤦🏻‍♂️ @splashtryagain we didn't come last!!! 🤣
Probably a 1-2 club breeze most of the round. I hit some of the best shots this year coupled with some of the worst. Not a course you can do that on.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Started the Semi of the mixed foursome last night with the Mrs. Finished the 4th hole and the chap who we were playing lost the plot and went on a tirade of swearing and anger. Made my other half emotional and his playing partner. I said we can't continue this match without a neutral person present as he had soured the evening.

He went even more mad and started to lose his cool. Apparently it was my fault as I didn't agree on a rule as I didn't know it and asked to see it in writing to clarify. (When he then got arsey I said stop acting like a C - Granted not the best use of the language). THen on the 3rd hold he got out of his buggy and charged towards me and the mrs to shout and rant some more. I said stop being a d**K and get on with things.

Then I gave him a putt when he was stood over the ball which he didn't like either. As he thought I was playing mind games - However he didn't give us two putts that were an inch from the hole. I was just being the bigger man. Then massive expeltives came out and he even squared up to me and my Mrs. I asked him to calm down and stop this behaviour which just made things worse. I told him he has upset the ladies and you can physically see that they were upset. He didn't give a crap and just demanded that we forfeited as we didn't want to continue.

I was called all sorts and a cheat numerous times. I asked what he meant by cheat and it was the old school ground reply that everyone knows I am a cheat.... I asked him to stop this tirade and apologise to the ladies before things escalated too far.

Shame as I was his partner in fourball and foursomes last year until he dropped me for someone else. However I am in the Semi finals in those comps this year with another chap at our club.

It has now gone to the committee but both me and the mrs feel aggreived as we were comfortably the better pair to that point.

We shall see what they decide to do.
Sorry it's a late reply. But that is a disgusting way to behave. Has he been thrown out of the club?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Grew up playing there every Saturday morning in the late 80’s - good to hear it’s still going
It is suffering a bit from a few muddy fairways at the moment, just like a lot of places.
Very well laid out course that requires and rewards both length and accuracy.
Massive greens and huge bunkers next to some of them.
Greens were slow, but good condition otherwise.
Couldn't complain about anything at £22 green-fee. Would have been £15 after 2pm.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yesterday afternoon played semi of club singles hcap KO. Giving 3 shots to a good matchplay player (he wouldn’t be in the semi if he wasn’t). I played well but lost. The manner of it irritates and disappoints me in equal measure. Not because he played well and holed everything in sight (and boy did he hole some long putts), and that I left about 4 hanging or just inches short. No..that’s golf. It was a great and tight match all the way with neither of us ever more than 1 up.

What rankles is the terrible tactical mistake then blunder I made on the 17 when we were all square.

After he had played two, his best was 4 but difficult requiring up and down from about 75yds, much more likely 5. To get a 5 I could lay up just short of the green with say a 7i avoiding the risk of the bunkers front left and right guarding the narrow entrance to the green. My short game was good, so an up and down chip and putt for a 4 was very possible, worst case 5 and likely half but a win on the cards. However I decided to go for green, confident that I could cope with a bunker shot if I was a bit off line. Even right of right bunker was ok. Left of LH bunker I didn’t really consider. And that’s where I hit it. Pin high in short rough but short-sided by a low mound covered in deep rough. Went over it well but left long and not so easy putt (in circumstances). Three putted for a 6. He got a 5. Down last after his perfect 2nd and with me having a difficult 2nd I couldn’t get the birdie likely required to take match to extra holes.

Curses and rats. It’s not the losing that hurts it’s the manner, because despite everything I feel I lost due to a silly tactical matchplay error. I’m a very experienced and reasonably successful matchplay player and I shouldn’t have made that mistake. Damn 🤬

Last edited:

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yesterday afternoon played semi of club singles hcap KO. Giving 3 shots to a good matchplay player (he wouldn’t be in the semi if he wasn’t). I played well but lost. The manner of it irritates and disappoints me in equal measure. Not because he played well and holed everything in sight (and boy did he hole some long putts), and that I left about 4 hanging or just inches short. No..that’s golf. It was a great and tight match all the way with neither of us ever more than 1 up.

What rankles is the terrible tactical mistake then blunder I made on the 17 when we were all square.

After he had played two, his best was 4 but difficult requiring up and down from about 75yds, much more likely 5. To get a 5 I could lay up just short of the green with say a 7i avoiding the risk of the bunkers front left and right guarding the narrow entrance to the green. My short game was good, so an up and down chip and putt for a 4 was very possible, worst case 5 and likely half but a win on the cards. However I decided to go for green, confident that I could cope with a bunker shot if I was a bit off line. Even right of right bunker was ok. Left of LH bunker I didn’t really consider. And that’s where I hit it. Pin high in short rough but short-sided by a low mound covered in deep rough. Went over it well but left long and not so easy putt (in circumstances). Three putted for a 6. He got a 5. Down last after his perfect 2nd and with me having a difficult 2nd I couldn’t get the birdie likely required to take match to extra holes.

Curses and rats. It’s not the losing that hurts it’s the manner, because despite everything I feel I lost due to a silly tactical matchplay error. I’m a very experienced and reasonably successful matchplay player and I shouldn’t have made that mistake. Damn 🤬
Reading that I wouldn’t say tactical as you assessed the options and went with what you thought was right - you just didn’t execute the shot (which could have also happened laying up).