I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
8th day of golf on the spin today which is a record for me. Scratch game for the club (36 holes matchplay) which made it my 10th round in the 8 days. Managed a couple of wins today but I’m so glad that I won’t be playing again until next weekend. 😴

Wow. No way I could play that much. I’m done if I do five days on the spin.

Springveldt

Visit site
Club championship yesterday (36 holes) and I scored well in the first round (77) without actually playing well. I drove the ball poorly but kept getting away with my misses and my putting was lights out for me, I holed a lot of putts in the 6-10 foot range. I was surprised to find I was 9th out of 32 after that round but even the really low guys didn't score that well, 1 of them had a 68 then 2nd place was a 73. My mate who has crept up to +1 shot 74 first round and had to birdie 17 and 18 to do that.

2nd round is one to wipe from my memory. My poor driving caught up to me and although I felt like I hit good putts they just kept shaving the hole. Was 3 off the tee twice, irons were off by a few yards leaving me missing the green by about 5 yards loads of times and my chipping was terrible. Ended up with a horrendous 87. My mate shot 67 in the 2nd round and as we walked off I pointed out he had just beat me by 20 strokes which gave both of us a bit of a laugh.

Still enjoyed the day though as it didn't rain for once. The course was still very wet in places, including a few greens after the Saturday rain (comp abandoned and course closed) but considering the weather lately I was just happy we could play it. Just hope it starts to firm up a bit this week as we don't have much rain forecasted finally.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Managed to get an early round in with CVG before having to decamp to the Out-Laws for a few days. Nice morning but bloomin' chilly to start..
Just 1 poor hole today..iffy drive, dodgy second, ok third and 3 putts for a double..
2 birdies remedied that and 4 other bogeys left me 4 over
75 shots, 40 points and a decent cut incoming...
Love golf😍🤩

Smoj

Visit site
I had a fairly ok game today I 25 putts for the first time, as I would use the Texas wedge any time possible on the fringe and it had better results than a bump and run. The driver was going well 65% FIR, the short game was fine, and the long and mid irons were a bit dodgy today, and let me down to what would have been one of the better rounds of late; 9 penalty shots - hit a 91
lost a pair of sunglasses too, oh well :cool:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors match at home today, got stuffed by the proverbial dog license!

I can think of a few excuses for my awful play.
* Fourth round on the trot, my old body starts to suffer from fatigue.
* I was :poop:
* The set of Gradidge Bobby Locke clubs that I put into play were perhaps not a great choice for a match for the following reasons.
a -The grips were dreadful, even by my standards
b - Most of them I'd never hit before
c - I'd used the putter before and didn't really get on with it
d - The loft gapping in the irons was not ideal and for some reason I found myself between clubs a lot more often than not
e - I just couldn't get to grips with the driver
* Far too many shanks
* I was :poop:

But the biggest reason was that their 20 handicapper had a blistering round, I reckon he was at least three under handicap on a course he'd not played before which was still set up as it was for the second round of the Club Champs yesterday, and there were some devilish hole locations with the rough as brutal as it can be.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Was out yesterday, very mixed bag, first round in 5 weeks due to work and holidays.
Was garbage for the first 7 holes, including 2 fresh air shots 🤣🤣
Then hit a cracking drive on 8 and something clicked, played bogey golf for 11 holes with poor putting.
Thinking off adding another hybrid to the bag as Started to hit them well again 😀

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Getting a really bad dose of the shanks just now. I've never drove the ball or putted as well as I'm doing just now.
Standing over the ball 70yds from the green and I'm bricking it, no fun.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Busy weekend for the youth, played his part in an 8-0 away victory over Huddersfield in the Junior League on Friday night with 4 &3 win against a lad 2 years his senior.

We both played in our Medal at Willow Valley yesterday, and both racked up some pretty terrible scores, although Jamie did finish pretty well - medals can be brutal around there if you don't get off to a good start..

And to round out the weekend he's won his junior medal at Dewsbury today with a Gross 86, which will give him a nice little cut.

D

Deleted member 1147

Captain’s away day today, at Copt Heath, Solihull.
Shot 3 over gross, apparently to match the 1982 Masters Champion on the same course/same day

Last edited by a moderator:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
First day of the Strathtyrum Trophy at St Andrews today, I was out on the Eden course and did not start well, Icouldnt get the ball into the air early on and on the 2nd thinned my shot through the green and never found it, ended up with s triple bogey 8, I managed to par or bogey the rest of the first nine, mostly down to my putting although I wasnt reading the longer putts very well but fortunately I holed a few inside 10 feet.
i started the back nine with a par and then out of nowhere another triple due to me not realising the hole was close to a steep run off and then struggled to recover, but I had a birdie and a couple of pars despite still not hitting the ball well.
Suddenly on the 16th I hit a proper fairway wood and was on a par 5 in 2 but now my putting deserted me and I 3 putted, then did the same on the par 4 17th before finishing with a par for a round of 86, which considering I had two triples wasn't too bad.
Round 2 is tomorrow on the arguably more difficult New course.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Out for 10 this morning, started with a bogey and got progressively worse, sore elbow was affecting my swing.
Highlight was my par on the 10th, side of a tree with my drive but punched it out on to the fairway then wedge just off the green, then chipped it in, had an audience of people in the hotel who started clapping 😂😂
They must of thought I was a player 🤣

AAC

Visit site
I played last night in what was the Volvo Matchplay (not sure what its called now), a 3rd round away match at a local public course, I went with low expectations and came back disappointed. From the woolly fairways to the super slow greens (they did at least roll quite well if you managed to dodge the pitch marks) to the bunkers (luckily the deck chairs had all gone home for the evening) to the overflowing waste bins all added to the ambience of the 'course'. Still my opponent was a really nice guy and we managed to have an enjoyable match which for my part was only spoilt by the two 'gentlemen' playing ahead of us in jeans and football shirts (not tucked in I might add).

I actually struck the ball really well apart from a couple of pulled shots which cost me the match, I think these were a result of not wanting to land my ball anywhere near the chained up guard dogs around the perimeter ;). Still after the beer was warm and my car hadn't been stolen so all in all a fine result.

Oh how I now appreciate my home club & course.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I played last night in what was the Volvo Matchplay (not sure what its called now), a 3rd round away match at a local public course, I went with low expectations and came back disappointed. From the woolly fairways to the super slow greens (they did at least roll quite well if you managed to dodge the pitch marks) to the bunkers (luckily the deck chairs had all gone home for the evening) to the overflowing waste bins all added to the ambience of the 'course'. Still my opponent was a really nice guy and we managed to have an enjoyable match which for my part was only spoilt by the two 'gentlemen' playing ahead of us in jeans and football shirts (not tucked in I might add).

I actually struck the ball really well apart from a couple of pulled shots which cost me the match, I think these were a result of not wanting to land my ball anywhere near the chained up guard dogs around the perimeter ;). Still after the beer was warm and my car hadn't been stolen so all in all a fine result.

You don't want much do you... :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

God forbid! I can see how the clothing of some total strangers would put someone off their golf. That makes complete sense. :unsure:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site

Sounds like you played at my club