I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played QF of club‘s main handicap singles KO comp, winning 3&2.

V pleased at how I played when giving 8 shots, only 1 over gross at turn and 3 over when we finished on 16. Solid low risk golf - pretty much always got the ball onto the fairway then always hit the shot I knew I could hit well - not always on the green but to give me an easy next shot - putting pressure on my opponent at every turn.

Next up…the semi…onwards and upwards.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Captains day at ours today. Soft course, playing long. Heavy downpours rolling in every few holes.
Scrambled really well. Holed some decent putts for a change. 3 sand saves.
Got through 15 holes two over and in the short par 4 16th fairway I fatted a wedge and 3 putted from the edge of the green.
Dropped another on 17 after being sucked into going for the front pin. Par up 18 left me at 4 over. Really happy with how I played overall but a slightly sour taste left by the finish.
Another cut incoming. 😀

Noteworthy stat from this round. Only hit 4 greens in reg. Short game working overtime 😀

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1st time at Ross-on-Wye today. Played well on the whole and managed four birdies but not sure if I like the course or not. Probably need to play it again a couple of times. A couple too many up and over holes for me where you can’t see where you are going or where the ball lands. On the flip side there are also some really good holes.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A tad breezy today...and mildly moist too...
Another good display..7 over 78 for 38 points
Another small cut coming.....and no hold ups today..
Some barbaric pin positions.......

D

Deleted member 1147

Quick 9 last night:
7 "targets" hit off the tee - that being a couple just in the first cut of rough, but in good shape
8 greens in reg'
1 ball in the pond on the 7th
Leading to 8 pars and a double - 2 over par

It was lovely and warm and still, nothing like the gale that was blowing on Saturday for our 36 hole club champs

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had a game at Aboyne on Sunday. Was invited by a guy I played with in an open a few weeks ago. Wasn't expecting much as again not touched a club in 7 days again. Remarkably played OK though not spectacular, a couple over, which more than happy with. Nice course playable pretty short and a fair few dogleg. Starts and finishes with 230 yard par 3. Quitea bit of water on the course too. The only downside.. the number of cleggs (horse flys) swarming with them

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Managed to get out for 18 at Lytham Green Drive after work, mate picked up my golf shoes from mine and I played in my work gear (clubs were in the car).

5 pars and a birdie, 6 bogeys and in the other 6 holes managed to drop a whopping 15 strokes 🤣 at this point I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Just so hit and miss at the moment. Driving was great but my bad ones were costly (5 off the tee on one hole) and my putting is just awful at the moment, either leaving the first short and hammering the 2nd past or vice versa.

Irons were decent for once and I was hitting them the distance I expected to.

My short game needs work though. Far too often I'm greenside and taking 3 or more shots to get down. It's killing my scores.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Errr…not today…horrid weather. But I thought about golf and watched an Iona Stephens video with her playing Walton Heath as set up for this years Ladies Open. She’s not too shoddy a golfer - ex-pro of course - and knows of what she talks…

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Front nine bang average, but the signs were there.
Back nine I was a machine, par, par,par, bogey, par, DBogey, par, bogey blob. It was only 20 points but it felt good to hit the ball well.
Then it kinda kicked off a bit. Ave had a bad couple of years with my driving so am playing off the yellows. A PP who is 73 and plays with AP1 710s joined me on the second box and played off the yellows. I told him he would be docked two shots from the white tees. He was more than happy with that. When we got in our three ball had won back nine and overall. Some guys had been moaning like the clappers. Bottom line it was said that everyone has the chance to play off yellows and get docked two shots. At that point I asked for me winnings. 😂👍
Our fiddle is predominately seniors but pride is getting in the way of them playing off yellows. Felt nice to hit the well ball again.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
theres a girl in tied 10th that plays at our place, I don’t know her but they say she is fantastic. There’s another younger girl at our place who is supposed to be equally as good.
Talking to a guy on Monday at martial arts, his lad is 11 and has just signed up with Yorkshire boys, As it seems more competitive than Notts boys.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
theres a girl in tied 10th that plays at our place, I don’t know her but they say she is fantastic. There’s another younger girl at our place who is supposed to be equally as good.
Talking to a guy on Monday at martial arts, his lad is 11 and has just signed up with Yorkshire boys, As it seems more competitive than Notts boys.

Girl who won the Under 16 is off +1.8..Hits it a country mile and a short game to die for. One to watch for the future for sure

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
She just missed out on the prizes in tied 6th , played the back 9 2 under and had a great birdie on our 17th as flag was in a very tricky position. Greens running at 11 today too

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Played Secret Valley GC in Cyprus yesterday. Played with a couple of my brother-in-law's RAF buddies.

Borrowed another one of his friend's clubs, which consisted of a Fazer driver, Big Bertha irons SW-4 and a Slazenger type putter.

Had a great look at birdie on the first which just missed. Followed that bogey, par, blob, birdie, blob, birdie, bogey, blob. An eventful front 9 for 17 points.

The back 9 was less dramatic: 3 pars, one of which should have been a birdie, 4 bogeys a double and a blob on the last for a total of 33 points.

Considering the clubs I was using, on a brand new course, I was delighted with how I played and thoroughly enjoyed it, despite losing my bodyweight in sweat 😂

Some pictures can be seen here:

Secret Valley Pictures

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to play Caddington with my dad, uncle and cousin. Thought I'd turned a corner recently as I'd been playing well, but I definitely reversed back around that corner again today. Absolutely awful. One of those days where your swing doesn't even feel like your swing at times. I even topped two tee shots, cannot remember the last time I did that. Only thing that saved me was that my putter was on fire.

Front nine I managed 16 points, which was a miracle thanks to the putter, but I couldn't keep that going on the back nine. The back nine is tougher and longer but to only add 11 more points was just abysmal. Lost two balls as well.

Second time I've played there (although we only managed to get 16 holes in last time) but I'm not sure I'll be back. One of those public courses that plays difficult just because they don't really cut the rough down, it's patchy, plus it has some very odd kooky holes. There's one par 4 which a blind tee shot, fairway slopes right towards internal out of bounds. A couple others where it's a bit of a guessing game where the line is - plus two 200+ yard par 3s.

In the space of a month I've gone from being good tee to green but with woeful putting, to not having a clue how to strike a golf ball but putting is incredible. Silly game.

Visit site
36 holes of foursomes at Rye today - what a charming club golf.

Some fabulous and quirky holes, 3 hour rounds, brilliant par 3s, big fat lunch.

I had no idea that it is an invite only membership... A truly rare thing.

One of our foursome had to leave after lunch so another member joined in just for 9 holes. He was about 75, downed a glass of wine and headed straight out with us, and had a pencil bag with a driver, a 5 wood, a 7 iron, a wedge and a putter. Didn't care much for where he hit the ball... by the time we'd finished the back 9, he was still in the bar!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Quarter final of the club's scratch matchplay knockout this evening.
Opponent is one of the older chaps at merely 16 years younger than me.
We have been leapfrogging each other all year with regard to HI and he is currently just 0.1 lower than me.
Lost the 2nd hole to go one down. Got back to all square, but lost the 7th to be one down again.
Got it back with a birdie on 10th, but lost 14th and 15th to pars to be 2 down with 3 to play.
Dormie 2 down.
Dormie one down.
All square. On to sudden death.
Halved the 1st.
Halved the 2nd.
Lost the third.
Oh dear, how sad, never mind.
Anyway - happy to be able to get out there and give these whippersnappers a game of scratch matchplay.
:D

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
First round of the club championship today, back tees and wet and windy all the way round.

It might sound odd but I was pleased with my 92 gross, 5 over handicap.

Looking at the gross scores it appears that the whole field found it tough going, in the single figures division the best score was a 78, the lowest handicap of +4 scored 82.
The nett scores are an equally sorry story, one 74, one 75 and one 76, in fact just 12 in the 70s from a total field of 70.

I wonder what the PCC will be?

Par: 72, 6697 yards
Course Rating: 73.0 Slope Rating: 132

Hopefully tomorrow will be a little brighter.