I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
9 holes tonight and a 2 over 36.

Had several birdie putts that missed but I’m blaming the green keepers as they’d pencil tined the greens

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out early again today and played pretty well
Shot 78, +7
The front 9 was hollow tined, plus a few other bits, on Mo day and the back 9 yesterday
P,entry of sand on them, they hadn't been cut and were massively slow as a result.
Left no end of putts 3 or 4 feet short.....won't take long to get back to normal.
Sadly, it seems, Mrs Roe Deer came a cropper on the road last night..a fresh carcass dumped next to the 18th tee....:oops:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Final league match for County Seniors V Worcestershire at Oswestry . Won the morning foursomes 5-1 and the afternoon 4BBB 5-1 for a 15 -3 win and secure the West Midland League with maximum points . Play winners of Eastern League at Coventry Sept 6th.
First time we've won the league in the 9 years I've been playing 😃😃

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another open today, at an interesting 9 hole course in Yorkshire called Fulneck, the club house is at the top of the hill and each nine you make 2 trips up and down the hill and along a river valley at the bottom. we didnt play great but, we had 18 holes, bucks fizz and home made cakes after 9 hole and after we finished a free drink from the bar everyone was very welcoming and the cost was a mere £8!! my friend also had a chilli after we played, that cost just £4.
We had a great day and will look to return there next year.

D

Deleted member 29109

Another open today, at an interesting 9 hole course in Yorkshire called Fulneck, the club house is at the top of the hill and each nine you make 2 trips up and down the hill and along a river valley at the bottom. we didnt play great but, we had 18 holes, bucks fizz and home made cakes after 9 hole and after we finished a free drink from the bar everyone was very welcoming and the cost was a mere £8!! my friend also had a chilli after we played, that cost just £4.
We had a great day and will look to return there next year.
The 9th/18th must be one of the steepest uphill holes one could play.

Are you playing anywhere else up that way? There are a lot of fantastic courses in that part of the country that are excellent value.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played in a vets pairs league match today and did something I never thought I'd do.

On the 15th, with us one up in the match, and one of our opponents not going to win the hole as I was on in two with a pretty certain par. I watched his partner, who'd gone over the green and had his swing impaired by tree branches, long grass and weeds, break off by hand the branches, pull up the grass and weeds. This I know to be wrong (as will you all) and was stunned, he chipped on but i comfortably won the hole for our pair to go 2 up with 3 to play

So what did i do that i never thought i ever would in those circumstances?

I didn't say a word !

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 9th/18th must be one of the steepest uphill holes one could play.

Are you playing anywhere else up that way? There are a lot of fantastic courses in that part of the country that are excellent value.
that hill is something else and we only teed off half way up, I could see this red thing on a post half way up and said to my partners, oh look there is a defibrillator just in case (turned out it was the ball to ring when clear)

We often venture over the Pennines, have played Cleckheaton and Dewsbury this year with a few more trips planned to other courses

MACM85

Visit site
Started the Semi of the mixed foursome last night with the Mrs. Finished the 4th hole and the chap who we were playing lost the plot and went on a tirade of swearing and anger. Made my other half emotional and his playing partner. I said we can't continue this match without a neutral person present as he had soured the evening.

He went even more mad and started to lose his cool. Apparently it was my fault as I didn't agree on a rule as I didn't know it and asked to see it in writing to clarify. (When he then got arsey I said stop acting like a C - Granted not the best use of the language). THen on the 3rd hold he got out of his buggy and charged towards me and the mrs to shout and rant some more. I said stop being a d**K and get on with things.

Then I gave him a putt when he was stood over the ball which he didn't like either. As he thought I was playing mind games - However he didn't give us two putts that were an inch from the hole. I was just being the bigger man. Then massive expeltives came out and he even squared up to me and my Mrs. I asked him to calm down and stop this behaviour which just made things worse. I told him he has upset the ladies and you can physically see that they were upset. He didn't give a crap and just demanded that we forfeited as we didn't want to continue.

I was called all sorts and a cheat numerous times. I asked what he meant by cheat and it was the old school ground reply that everyone knows I am a cheat.... I asked him to stop this tirade and apologise to the ladies before things escalated too far.

Shame as I was his partner in fourball and foursomes last year until he dropped me for someone else. However I am in the Semi finals in those comps this year with another chap at our club.

It has now gone to the committee but both me and the mrs feel aggreived as we were comfortably the better pair to that point.

We shall see what they decide to do.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Brilliant day at West Lothian GC, Linlithgow, yesterday for their seniors open. They very kindly allow people aged 50 and above in, not the usual 55. Anyway, it honked it down the whole way up, things looked grim. 5 miles away it slowed to a drizzle and stopped by the time we arrived. Obligatory bacon buttie, not the best so they are losing a mark there ;) , and then out to start.

It is such an enjoyable course. Every hole is different, every hole has something to make you think. All with great views of the Forth, it even gets the bridge in on the 16th hole. The greens were superb, as good as anywhere I have played this year. True but speedy, not too speedy. Fairways were excellent, rough kept under control, bunkers, neat and tidy.

I drove the best I have ever done. Up the middle every hole bar the 17th and even that was just off the fairway. When you get asked, every tee shot on the fairway or never 3 putt, I got to try the former and it is the bees knees :cool:. You are in the hole, it is then up to you. Brilliant, loved it. Rest of the game was decent, putted very well, lag putting in particular. Ended with 36 points, very happy for playing an away course where local knowledge is pretty useful and I don't have it. Only annoyance was not scoring on the last. A fun, downhill par 3. I left it up against the left of the front bunker, sand was claggy. I slid under my first shot, left under the front lip, and the second flew the green and ended up against a stone wall, remember that claggy sand :rolleyes: . Too close to even bounce against, no points, only blank of the round. Ah well, can't complain after the previous 17 holes.

My last 4 rounds have all been counting ones. Another little cut from yesterday. All marginal gains but frankly it is fun playing to handicap rather than being wildly erratic. Oh, and the link between Scottish Golf and English Golf worked smoothly and seamlessly. All scores loaded, h/c adjusted as though I was playing my home course.

So, West Lothian GC, play there, you will enjoy yourself and come off smiling (even if claggy sand beats you at some point after torrential rain :ROFLMAO: )

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Started the Semi of the mixed foursome last night with the Mrs. Finished the 4th hole and the chap who we were playing lost the plot and went on a tirade of swearing and anger. Made my other half emotional and his playing partner. I said we can't continue this match without a neutral person present as he had soured the evening.

He went even more mad and started to lose his cool. Apparently it was my fault as I didn't agree on a rule as I didn't know it and asked to see it in writing to clarify. (When he then got arsey I said stop acting like a C - Granted not the best use of the language). THen on the 3rd hold he got out of his buggy and charged towards me and the mrs to shout and rant some more. I said stop being a d**K and get on with things.

Then I gave him a putt when he was stood over the ball which he didn't like either. As he thought I was playing mind games - However he didn't give us two putts that were an inch from the hole. I was just being the bigger man. Then massive expeltives came out and he even squared up to me and my Mrs. I asked him to calm down and stop this behaviour which just made things worse. I told him he has upset the ladies and you can physically see that they were upset. He didn't give a crap and just demanded that we forfeited as we didn't want to continue.

I was called all sorts and a cheat numerous times. I asked what he meant by cheat and it was the old school ground reply that everyone knows I am a cheat.... I asked him to stop this tirade and apologise to the ladies before things escalated too far.

Shame as I was his partner in fourball and foursomes last year until he dropped me for someone else. However I am in the Semi finals in those comps this year with another chap at our club.

It has now gone to the committee but both me and the mrs feel aggreived as we were comfortably the better pair to that point.

We shall see what they decide to do.
That is unreal, what an absolute tool.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
another round of the good, bad and the ugly. I don’t think I have ever had a round where it was coat on, coat off, coat on coat off. the rain was a royal ball ache. 22 in the fiddle and I got two nearest the pins for £22. £5 for Layla Tash me caddy, £5 for Bradley Tash. coz you cannot give one without the other. £5 entry, £10 I owed Missis T. £5 for the club comp and I was £8 down on the day 😳.Be cheaper staying at home.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I've written on here a few times recently about my golfing woes and how I'd not broken 90 for couple of months and my handicap was rapidly heading upwards.

One swallow does not a summer make but hopefully tonight was the start of a reversal in fortunes.

Doubled the first after a chunked approach and chip.

Trebled the 2nd.

3 putt bogey on the 3rd.

6 over through the first 3 holes - here we go again!

From there something clicked and despite a shank on the 5th I basically didn't miss a fairway or green for 13 holes and burnt the edge on about 5 birdie putts. I went through those 13 holes level par.

Unfortunately on the 17th I got the wrong club out the bag and flew the green and left myself a horrible pitch back that I wasn't able to get up and down on, and on the 18th a pulled drive meant I was blocked out and a hero attempt with my 3rd (that didnt come off) meant I walked off with a double.

Finished on 78 (9 over) but felt so good to actually play some decent golf for the first time since last year really.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A fun game at Dunstanburgh Castle today. Lovely setting, links course. Very windy unfortunately and that made it hard going at times. Added on, blimey it was slow. Some walkers but really just slow 4 balls, a lot seemed to be holidaymakers who weren't very good.

Anyway, the metronomic driving from Wednesday continued until about half way at which point I duffed 2 drives into thick rough, never to be seen again. After some more horrible slaps I brought out my 3 wood and smashed my last 2 tee shots further than any of my drives and 20yds past my pp. Disturbing to lose my swing with my driver, wonderful to hit my 3 wood that well 🤷‍♂️.

A mixed bag elsewhere, partly due to lack of knowledge of the course. Sometimes, what you could see was not the whole picture, it all became clear when you actually reached the green.

A good day though and anyone visiting the area could do a lot worse than play here. A good course.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played off the blue tees at our course again today, it was very enjoyable and the course plays so differently,
The pars fives, which off the reds are mostly good opportunities for par or better, are changed to long par 4s due to the tees being moved forward, so pars are tough to come by but the pars are shortened and so instead of mostly hitting woods for my 2nd shot I was hitting a range of irons, these now become the scoring holes as there is a very good chance of being on the green in 2 so pars and hopefully birdies are up for grabs, The pars 3s don't change too much.
I played reasonably although was a few shots over the 71 I had the first time I played the blues, I ended up 10 over thanks to doubles on 2 of the long par 4s, also didn't hole a thing but had half a dozen tap in pars

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played a persimmon and blade meet up at Heysham GC near Morecambe today.

Twelve of us made the journey from all over the place, Bristol, Edinburgh, Sussex, etc. the classic club community is a small but dedicated group!

I played:
Laurie Auchterlonie early 1960s woods (although the style is pre-war)
John Letters Coney Ridge coated shaft, dot faced irons, either just before or just after WWII
A coated shaft 1930s 10 iron with decent bounce as my bunker club
A John Letters Projector putter, I'd guess late 1930s

Had one of my better rounds of late, especially on a course I'd not played before and scored 83 for 37 Stableford points which won the nett prize.
Had a few bits of good fortune and putted very well.

1690580010496.png

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out early with Fragger again....
Starting on 10 it was a very solid 9 holes..just 3 boogers...
Greens were still slow after maintenance earlier in the week..Once we got onto the other 9 it was like a different course.
They'd cut and ironed them and the speed almost doubled...
Pacey!
But another solid 9 with a birdie on the often tricky 3rd....77 blows for 39 points and a cut.
And I had nothing worse than a 5 on the card....
It's coming back...:giggle:

sjw

Visit site
Just played like an absolute numpty. Thins, shanks, hooks, anything but straight for 99% of the time, to come in with 114. Hate it. When can I play again? Lol.