I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To be fair that pin position is the only protection the hole really has. I’ve quite often got less than 50 yards in when I cut the dogleg. Even managed to reach the fringe a few times with a strong wind behind.

That may be the case for good players, but for the rest of us who are lucky to have a clear 2nd shot from 150, tricky bunkers either side of a narrow green are more than enough protection, regardless of where the pin is :)

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Played at Old Thorns this morning near Petersfield, whilst a bit rough around the edges I thought the greens were in really good condition, especially for a hotel course.

First 9 holes played as steady as I can remember, 8 pars and 1 bogey which came from a topped tee shot. Back 9 nowhere near as good, hit the ball really well, just poor shot choices let the score drift away.

Back in the comfort of the sofa now to watch the open.

00FB7500-C9A0-4F16-9FA3-83F24624C740.jpeg

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Started at St Anne's old links in a mixed in drizzle that turned to non stop rain. Soaked to the skin. Waterproofs no good. All four of us soaked. Played with a lovely couple from Bathgate. We got called off when we reached the 9th, well were weren't, but the prov, in a buggie, called off a group on 7th off, so I walked over to asked what was going on. We played the 9th anyway. Two pars to finish. 21 points in driving rain for 9. Great laugh in the clubhouse afterwards with them and another couple. So funny, golf annecdotes galor. The hole in one, not repeatable on here, was the best. Hopefully at Anne's will reschedule and we can come again later on in the year.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Inter club 4BBB KO today giving 14 and 16 shots. My partner was getting 8 shots. We were one down after 9 holes. I made a par on every hole of the back nine and we lost one down. The higher handicapper was getting up and down from all over the place, with a chipper 😢

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Inter club 4BBB KO today giving 14 and 16 shots. My partner was getting 8 shots. We were one down after 9 holes. I made a par on every hole of the back nine and we lost one down. The higher handicapper was getting up and down from all over the place, with a chipper 😢
There's a lesson for us all.
Whenever I've seen someone with a chipper they're usually deadly with it.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played this morning with my two brothers from another mother.
Nice day, but breezy but warm and, most importantly, dry.

My putting has gone a bit skee whiff recently. 3 putt for a 7 to start, 3 putt 6 followed and a 4 putt 6 on the 8th put the icing on it.

Despite that, somehow managed to squeak in a sub-80 round of 79 (+8) with birdies on 9, 11, 14 and 15 to steady it a bit.

But the putter. Jeez, the humanity!

sjw

Visit site
Just in from an evening round after work and I need to let off steam....

Found a guy at work who has picked up his clubs again about a year ago after a few years out, arranged to play 9. I guess he's going to be about my level, I should honestly be a little better. I proceeded to play like an absolute buffoon, like I've never hit a ball before. It started off in the nets, which I don't usually use, and I was shanking them, topping them, just having a nightmare.

Get out on the first, pull a drive left into trouble. Hit a second in case. This also goes left. I find the second one. I duff a 5 iron about 80 yards. I sh*nk a wedge into a bush. I have to take a drop. I punch onto the green. I three putt for a 10. Great. Meanwhile, he gets a double.

Next, three over on the par 5 second for an 8. He gets a par (I think). I'm 9 over through two, and only yesterday I was 8 over through 9. Ridiculous game.

From there on I felt like I had a point to prove and I just didn't get it going at all. I was about 20 over through 9, absolutely awful. Interestingly enough, the holes I played the best were the ones where he teed off badly, so I wasn't competing with what he was doing.

I definitely suffered because I was trying to prove myself. I played the back 9 without him and while I wasn't great, I was stroking the ball about much better.

I typically play best with people I don't know, and worst with people who I would really like to think I'm good.

Playing partner just played really steady golf and I never put him under pressure. He reckoned his handicap was closer to 30 than 20, but he's doing himself a disservice. Pleased for him.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
ladies open at Cleckheaton today, we really like this course and they do a fabulous halfway house ,we also had a very good day, we won the competition, I won a nearest the pin nd I picked up a raffle prize too, a good day, and we all contributed well and the weather was good too.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shot 81. Only trouble was on 5. Par five third shot big slice over trees and down a big slope on 6th fairway. PW back, impossible shot blind over trees from about 20 meter below level ground to about a meter from the flag. Sank the putt . found how to draw a ball on 12. Loads of 1 meter putts went in. GK must have hole on flat ground for a change. Anyway, best round of the year.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
County Seniors Scratch Championship today at Hinckley. Just 18 holes off scratch.
Par/CR/SR is 71/72.4/139

We tee off in handicap order with the lowest going off last.
I was ranked player number 22 in handicap index order out of a field of 70.

I finished in a 4-way tie for 7th place.

Only 8 nett scores below 74 so I won't be surprised if my SD of 5.4 comes down to 4.6 or even 3.7 with a PCC.
That would help as I was loosing a 3.6 today.

EDIT: Just had a look at the Playing Handicaps of the 6 that beat me, +2, +2, +1, 1, 1 and 4.
And yes, there was a PCC of +1.

Last edited: