I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played yesterday but mainly to mark cards for 2 juniors, two boys both 13, they have kind of been sponsored by the ladies section, they had been seen on the course a few times with a club and a ball and our lady captain had words and as they seemed keen, the lady section paid for them to be members and gave them some used clubs.
Anyway it was interesting, we were behind a team match of 10 4BBB groups so it was slow going anyway, one of the boys certainly has an aptitude, they played off the yellows (I would have had them off the reds) and he went round in 105, the other however, took a ridiculous amount of practice swings, I told him not to, and although he did hit some good ones, he got very frustrated with himself, his score was 140.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out with the larks this morning , Fragger in tow.
Rained heavily on the way to the club but had stopped before I got out of the car and we had about 3 drops after that
Nice sandy par on the 10th (1st hole) and a very steady next 8 saw me turn 3 over par for 20 points.
Holes 1-9 are definitely more tricky than 10-18 and it was a bit of a struggle at times but 5 over was acceptable for a 79 and a small cut.
On that note my Index looks a bit squiffy.....
My current best 8 give me a total of 64.2 and an index of 8 but the system is showing 7.7....
Replace my worst score with today's and the total is 61.9 or 7.7.... :unsure:
I've asked the club to have a look at it....

YandaB

Visit site
Rained heavily on the way to the club but had stopped before I got out of the car and we had about 3 drops after that
Nice sandy par on the 10th (1st hole) and a very steady next 8 saw me turn 3 over par for 20 points.
Holes 1-9 are definitely more tricky than 10-18 and it was a bit of a struggle at times but 5 over was acceptable for a 79 and a small cut.
My current best 8 give me a total of 64.2 and an index of 8 but the system is showing 7.7....
Ah, looks like the PCC calculations failed last night, I was puzzling over some in our club too. I suspect that if you take the average of your best 7, ignoring yesterday, you will get 7.7.

Glad to see that the system wasn't just picking on my club.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
you have the soft cap active so will be lower than it looks

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
Seniors sweep yesterday. Hit two horrible drives early on and decided to leave the driver in the bag and just hit hybrid off the tee for the rest of the round. Did fine but score was ruined by two blobs late on. Have been full of cold all week, and was knackered by the end. 30 points and a 0.3 increase overnight.

Did laugh at one moment. Hit a decent tee shot on 17, level with my PP's drive. It's a dog leg hole, when we got to our balls, I commented on the fact that, yet again, the pin was right behind a steep bunker. He said "I bet someone hits a great shot at the pin, hits the top of the bunker and ends up in it". I took my shot, and did exactly that. I jokingly said I blamed him for that. He then took his shot, and did exactly the same😀
To be fair that pin position is the only protection the hole really has. I’ve quite often got less than 50 yards in when I cut the dogleg. Even managed to reach the fringe a few times with a strong wind behind.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Four ball match today. Will do the full right up in the match play thread again later, but long story short - I played an absolute blinder, my partner didn't really have his best day, but our opponents were a couple of wily foxes who holed literally every single putt all day and they battered us 4 & 3. They were similar handicaps to us so almost no shots given (three of us got one on stroke 1 that was it), but I can't stress enough how good their putting was. Their combined score was level par after 15 holes, having got one birdie (with a 25 foot putt), one bogey and all the rest were pars.

We played the 16th then packed it in since it was raining - if I'd have bogeyed the last two holes I would have equalled my best round at my club of 77. And I had a blob/triple on the 4th after carving two drives right on the wind. So I had one birdie (the 10th, the only hole we actually won) and nine pars. Obviously I'm gutted we've lost but to play that well and still be beaten - I couldn't have done anything more. Even if my partner had played better, let's be fair, he would have needed to be making birdies to improve upon what I was doing and actually win us some holes.

Just one of those days where you have to hold your hands up and say you did your best! Obviously really encouraged by how well I played, following on from Tuesday when I also played very well.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Four ball match today. Will do the full right up in the match play thread again later, but long story short - I played an absolute blinder, my partner didn't really have his best day, but our opponents were a couple of wily foxes who holed literally every single putt all day and they battered us 4 & 3. They were similar handicaps to us so almost no shots given (three of us got one on stroke 1 that was it), but I can't stress enough how good their putting was. Their combined score was level par after 15 holes, having got one birdie (with a 25 foot putt), one bogey and all the rest were pars.

We played the 16th then packed it in since it was raining - if I'd have bogeyed the last two holes I would have equalled my best round at my club of 77. And I had a blob/triple on the 4th after carving two drives right on the wind. So I had one birdie (the 10th, the only hole we actually won) and nine pars. Obviously I'm gutted we've lost but to play that well and still be beaten - I couldn't have done anything more. Even if my partner had played better, let's be fair, he would have needed to be making birdies to improve upon what I was doing and actually win us some holes.

Just one of those days where you have to hold your hands up and say you did your best! Obviously really encouraged by how well I played, following on from Tuesday when I also played very well.
Sometimes there is nothing you can do. One of the best games I ever had was a club scratch match away at Yeovil. I walked off the last at 3 under par and lost 1 down. 😳

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just been out and played 8 holes after a range session. Had a lesson this morning and coach advised on changing my posture to get a straighter back, rather than being in a 'C' posture.

I've added close to 40 yards to my 7 iron with some fairly straightforward changes to my set up, and one swing change.. Incredible what a difference a good pro can make to your game.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Is that a provisional ball in your pocket just in case?
I was waiting for that!
It was Captain's Day today, and I challenged him to a nearest the pin, tenner for charity. He had to borrow my club and a ball, and he put it just off the back of the green. I holed mine for an ace. That was taken after I'd put it back his shot in my pocket.
Two tee start, around 100 people, £470 bar bill! 🤦🏻‍♂️