I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Zig

Visit site
Brutal weather, played best I've played for ages. Ran off 18 in the hailstones, shouted back nine/gross totals to each other. All good. One under handicap. (y)

Playing partner takes his card from me and offers to put scores in the computer.

Comes back, congratulates me on finishing 2nd. I ask him for my card to sign. 'Ive posted it in the box' comes the reply.
Shortest lived second place ever. DQ for not signing card. :mad::cry:

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Presidents medal today

2 under front 9 with a couple of good birdies and some solid par saves

Then a mini monsoon arrived and dropped 4 shots in 3 holes and finished 2 over 😩
Fantastic golf still.

I tee'd off at 10, so managed to miss the worst of the rain. Managed to have a 2 and an 11 in my round 😂

Despite the 11 I was actually on to finish under my handicap and then finished double, triple, double, double for a gross 92 😭

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got one of those vibes you get sometimes where several things have been slightly wrong but you really feel like you're on a track to ironing them all out at once and that great round is just round the corner...

(Narrator: It wasn't.)
Well I was nearly right. Played much better today. Started on the 8th and parred both the par 5s to start. Had some trouble on 17 and 18 but a birdie on the 2nd gave me some hope of a great round still. Unfortunately as the wind got up I doubled the 4th and 5th which cost me a truly good score, but ended up with 34 points, which is certainly my best round for several weeks (84 gross). Not sure if it'll be a counter for handicap or not (we entered the monthly Stableford).

Had my old Evnroll back in the bag - tried the TM Spider for six rounds but just wasn't feeling it - looking down on it it just doesn't sit right or look right to my eyes. Decided to go back to old trusty and just stop buggering about really. I'm halfway through reading "Putting Out Of Your Mind" but I already have the gist which is to stop caring so much if you run one past or misread a line, just relax and roll the ball at the hole. Better results and only one three putt. Actually holed a couple of putts for once. Pretty happy.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
After shooting 93 last Sunday I wasn’t particularly confident going into today.

Started on our 11 and was level par after finishing the 18th, our front 9 is much harder and ended up going round in 77 (+8). Ball striking was so much better than last week and a few “feels” starting to bed in.

Had a 2 which will get me £12, came 4th in the comp and then also won £100 in the raffle back in the club house.

A much better Sunday.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played Burgham Park on Sunday in the high winds. Shot +10 on the day, 2 bad swings cost me 2 balls and 4 shots but overall I was happy with how I played. Only the 2nd time playing it (the other time was over 6 years ago) and it was in good condition overall. They are in the middle of changing one of the par 3's which means the tee box has been moved to the middle of the fairway on the next hole (think they are selling land to a housing development) which was poor but the greens were good. Didn't realise how strong the sun was due to the high winds and I forgot to put sun cream on so currently sitting with a face that is redder than Tiger's Sunday shirts.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Another day, another poor round after a decent start...
Pretty solid 10-18..18 points with a double and a bogey to finish...yet another awful lie in or around bunkers
This time the ball was tucked so close to the edges of the rear of the bunker I couldn't bend my knee far enough ( because it doesnt!) and ended up thinning it over the green and into deep clag.. something seems to happen every single round...
On to 1 - 9 and........my game just took itself off to Ibiza for a while.....flailing about like I was being attacked by wasps, had all the control of a bull in a China shop and came away with another 12 points....truly pitiful.
Sadly, the index will reach 8 tomorrow morning meaning that in 5 months I've gone from getting 5 shots to now getting 10.
The mostni can get before next February is 11 when the hard cap kicks in....that time may not be far off...
Then watch the form return and I'll clean up in 2 or 3 medals.... :rolleyes:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played Burgham Park on Sunday in the high winds. Shot +10 on the day, 2 bad swings cost me 2 balls and 4 shots but overall I was happy with how I played. Only the 2nd time playing it (the other time was over 6 years ago) and it was in good condition overall. They are in the middle of changing one of the par 3's which means the tee box has been moved to the middle of the fairway on the next hole (think they are selling land to a housing development) which was poor but the greens were good. Didn't realise how strong the sun was due to the high winds and I forgot to put sun cream on so currently sitting with a face that is redder than Tiger's Sunday shirts.
This is exactly what is happening except the members all thought the housing would remain in the field to the left. The fact that they are losing half of the fairway, making the hole unplayable, was a complete shock to them. They are now playing the hole backwards I believe. A shame as that was a big hole at the course. Some re-jigging is going to be needed to sort that out. Also, how will the next hole, SI1 from memory and a really good hole, fair going forward? Will the revised hole encroach on its space?

Good to hear the greens were playing well. The greens themselves are generally very good, ie smooth, but they are slow too often.

Incidentally, in that wind, that was cracking golf (y)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is exactly what is happening except the members all thought the housing would remain in the field to the left. The fact that they are losing half of the fairway, making the hole unplayable, was a complete shock to them. They are now playing the hole backwards I believe. A shame as that was a big hole at the course. Some re-jigging is going to be needed to sort that out. Also, how will the next hole, SI1 from memory and a really good hole, fair going forward? Will the revised hole encroach on its space?

Good to hear the greens were playing well. The greens themselves are generally very good, ie smooth, but they are slow too often.

Incidentally, in that wind, that was cracking golf (y)
This happened at my old club.
wasnt even on club land but a householder blamed a golf ball broke a window and we had to spend a lot of money changing the course for H&S.
We even showed the house was out of range of even Tigers biggest drive but the club paid up to fix his window.
Golf and houses don’t mix.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This happened at my old club.
wasnt even on club land but a householder blamed a golf ball broke a window and we had to spend a lot of money changing the course for H&S.
We even showed the house was out of range of even Tigers biggest drive but the club paid up to fix his window.
Golf and houses don’t mix.
I was still a member when the housing was first proposed and looking at the geography of the hole, very little needed to change. Move the tee box to the right, shorten the hole, Bob's your uncle.

What has thrown members is the fact that half the fairway is apparently part of the sale, not just the field to the left. That ends the hole in its current or even tweaked form.

It needs a a completely new hole to be designed now, also impacting the next hole which it will have to encroach into. Needs must but the shame is that they are two of the better holes there.

Agree with your last point, golf and houses don't mix, even when the golf has been there 100 yrs before the house 😄

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was still a member when the housing was first proposed and looking at the geography of the hole, very little needed to change. Move the tee box to the right, shorten the hole, Bob's your uncle.

What has thrown members is the fact that half the fairway is apparently part of the sale, not just the field to the left. That ends the hole in its current or even tweaked form.

It needs a a completely new hole to be designed now, also impacting the next hole which it will have to encroach into. Needs must but the shame is that they are two of the better holes there.

Agree with your last point, golf and houses don't mix, even when the golf has been there 100 yrs before the house 😄
Selling one of your fairways is a certain way to lose your members in a hurry.
if I was a member I would be looking elsewhere next year as the course is obviously not a priority.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was lucky enough to have another day at the London Golf Club today, courtesy of work and one of our contractors. Format was teams of four, Stableford, best 3 on each hole to count. On the International course.

After blobbing the 3rd and 4th (triple & double) it looked like another mediocre round was on the cards, but I played so well after that. Managed 16 points by the turn, then started the back nine with four straight pars - the fourth of which required an up and down from 85 yards and a 20 foot putt. Finished the back nine with 22 points for a total of 38 (off of 16 PH). Sealed it with 15 foot right-to-left downhill putt to save bogey on the last. Gross 86, with nine pars in total. Absolutely delighted with that. Had been feeling like a good round was not far away once I sorted my putting out, and so it proved today.

Our team absolutely smashed the team prize with a score of 136. One chap off 8 had a 39 individual score, and another feller off 22 had 35 but with 24 of them coming on the back nine! Fourth team member wasn't as great but chimed in with a few good holes when he needed to. I think the fact I played the course a month ago helped us as I was able to give a bit of guidance on where and where not to hit. A 5 hour round but it really didn't feel that long as all had a fantastic day.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A full 10 shots better than Monday......
77 blows for 40 points..First time I've broken 80 in a couple of months.
And that's with a big fat blob on the 11th....
2 under par on the par 3s which is very pleasing.
Should get a 0.7 cut for my troubles....
Maybe some form is returning from Holiday......maybe...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had a tie in the club scratch against the current and multiple club champs, he's off +4. Played OK after losing the first and even got 2 up by the 6th, he could reach the 550 yard 7th in two for his first birdie. Halved 8 and 9 so one up starting the back, but that's when his superior length came in he can fly the bunkers on 10 and 12 no problem, but he birdied, 10,11,12,13 and 14, then eagles 15 and game over. Showed his class with those birdies, just reiterates the diff between a 2 and a plus fig golfer.

Last edited: