I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Had a tie in the club scratch against the current and multiple club champs, he's off +4. Played OK after losing the first and even got 2 up by the 6th, he could reach the 550 yard 7th in two for his first birdie. Halved 8 and 9 so one up starting the back, but that's when his superior length came in he can flay the bunkers on 10 and 12 no problem, but he birdied, 10,11,12,13 and 14, then eagles 15 and game over. Showed his class with those birdies, just reiterates the diff between a 2 and a plus fig golfer.

He must have been good to birdie the 12th twice!

I recently played with a mate off +3 in the US and the biggest thing that stuck out to me was how accurate he was between 160 and 210 yards - every long par 4 and par 5 he was leaving himself decent birdie/eagle opportunities with his approach play whereas most golfers I play with are just happy to hit the green from that distance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Having played like a complete xxxx, novice on Monday in a seniors team home match, today I had one of my best rounds in recent years playing away.
Allowing realistic scores where I didn't hole out I'd have been 5 over gross, 8 under handicap.

But our opponents also played well and we still lost 2 & 1! o_O

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played my singles knockout semi final today, giving 12 shots, Thanks to a combination of my decent play, I particulatly played the par 3 well and her poor putting I came out on top winning 4&3.
My record of recent years in club knockouts has been poor but this year I am now in 3 finals, hopefully I can one or two

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Multi-Tee medal today.
But the "multi" in this case is two.
Par 70 in both cases.
W - 70.8/132
Y - 69.1/127

We've been running these for several weeks.
First couple of weeks some players did choose yellow tees, but no one has done so in recent weeks.
Players have seen that they "get 2 more shots" if they play from the whites.
Current leaderboard shows my score as 79-6=73.
Once all the scores are in, and if no one has played from the yellows, it will change to 79-4=75.
All other scores will change accordingly, which does not alter anyone's finishing place in the competition.

None of this affects my play against the course, which as we know, is my gross score.
I made several bogeys, but only one double bogey. This was on stroke index 2. On this hole it would have to be a quadruple bogey in order for there to be any "adjusted" score.
So no adjustment was needed to my gross score.
Score differential of 7.0 is 1.7 higher than my 8th best of 5.3.
Lost a 3.6 off my record and this has been replaced with another 5.3. Should be going up from 3.8 to 4.0.
Playing Handicap of 5 for next comp - yippee - I will get another shot! - when playing with and against others.

Play against the course will remain my gross score, but there will be one more hole where I will have to make a quadruple bogey or higher for there to be any adjustment to my gross score for handicapping purposes. I doubt that I will be thinking about that on Sunday, however.

I may have posted this on the wrong thread. ;)

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
4th round in the main knockout competition tonight, playing against a 17 handicap, thus giving 2 shots.

A really brilliant match with both of us playing superb golf, I was 1 up after 9, he later told me he would have have 20 stableford points for the front 9.

I played the back 9 in 3 over gross including a lovely birdie on 11, the match was finished on the 16th green and now I'm through to the quarter final.

Visit site
Not quite true to the title of the thread.

Playing Swinley Forest, West Hill and 36 holes at Rye in August.

I am absolutely delighted to be playing Rye as I understand it's very difficult to get on there.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Not quite true to the title of the thread.

Playing Swinley Forest, West Hill and 36 holes at Rye in August.

I am absolutely delighted to be playing Rye as I understand it's very difficult to get on there.

...Assist Sec a Rye is a now a buddy. Smashing place, oldest of old school, but very friendly when you go. Second course is worth a knock too!

I played West Sussex today and was really impressed. Condition was excellent, layout is similar with a variety of holes. Great good too.

Really worth the trip!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
45mins or so on the range working with my 7i, and a reinforced swing thought from my pro. ‘Hit the Nail’. And with real focus on driving the hammer down the line of the nail I got a result. Took it onto the course for a few holes and it seemed to transfer…and that is rare. More work on it tomorrow.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a day out with three mates at Sutton Green. Nice enough course with decent greens. Bunkers were a bit meh though - full of stones. Nice bit was that we set off after a 2ball and weren't caught up until 17th by another 2ball. Best bit though was that for the most part, after a recent & long spell of terrible form, I played half decently. Off a CH of 18 I ended up just 19 over - even though I threw in a 4hole run of 6,7,6,7 (11 over) on the back nine. At least the terrible spells in a round are getting shorter.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Got out last night and couldn't buy a par.

Don't know what's happening to me at the moment - struggled with my driving until a couple of weeks ago but felt the rest of my game was alright. Then typically my drivings come good but everything else has dropped off a cliff. Around the greens is particularly bad - duffs, thins, just awful touch.

Gone from 10.1 to 12.3 in 2 months and its not showing any signs of slowing down.

Losing my love of the game a bit.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out early and solo today
Wanted to be back early so I didn't miss too much of The Open.
Played 12 holes in 1 over gross, saw a badger and was home by 7.
Feet up, snacks, drinks, telly on..
Boom

Springveldt

Visit site
Played last night in the midweek Sweep and my poor scoring continues. Drove the ball relatively well (had 2 drives from 13 that I had to chip out as I had no shot to the green) but again my irons were shocking. I think it's because of all the speed work I've been doing over the last couple of months that I'm definitely 1 club longer so I'm indecisive over a lot of iron shots at the moment and I'm not committing to them.

Had my first poor putting performance with the new putter (4th round, the other 3 had been stellar), we had a bit of a deluge early afternoon so greens were slow and I struggled to get the ball to the hole on numerous occasions. Just left myself too many 4 footers and inevitably ended up missing a couple of them. Shot 80 for +10 (differential of 7.2) so not a counting score.

Club Championship on Sunday, 36 holes and to be honest if I managed to break 80 in any of the rounds I'll be happy.

Visit site
Played Beamish Park today which was very wet after heavy rain yesterday. Sadly, the idiotic novice golfer in me took over, not realising that the course would run more slowly. Shot 89, making a hash of 3 holes in particular. Driver was very good, the rest not so. Frustrating that I won't be able to put it right quickly as we are predicted to have a month's worth of rain in the region next week.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
A medal at ours today, it was one of those days, 4 putts spinning out, penalty when ball moved when I was removed a clump of wet grass, add a couple of 3 putts and my 85 could have been quite a bit less, I hit the ball well though so not disheartened

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
2nd round of our scratch knockout this evening. I started terribly and was 5 down after 6 holes. Managed to pull my finger out and was 3 down after 9. Clawed it back and birdied the 17th to go 1 up before duck hooking my tee shot on 18 into the cabbage. Hacked it out and rescued a bogey, but that wasn’t enough for a half so back down the first we went.

Opponent skied his tee shot a bit and left himself a longer shot in. I went aggressive with the driver and got it up next to the green, then chipped on and 2 putted for par which was enough to win the hole.

Next match will be a challenge as the guy will be significantly better than me

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played West Sussex on Wednesday and Crowborough Beacon yesterday.

The former was excellent. Everything about it is first class.

Crowborough yesterday was also very good although a bit behind West Sussex.

Both very welcoming and friendly, good food in the clubhouses too.

Long drive home and a puncture on the M4 didn't spoil it!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seniors sweep yesterday. Hit two horrible drives early on and decided to leave the driver in the bag and just hit hybrid off the tee for the rest of the round. Did fine but score was ruined by two blobs late on. Have been full of cold all week, and was knackered by the end. 30 points and a 0.3 increase overnight.

Did laugh at one moment. Hit a decent tee shot on 17, level with my PP's drive. It's a dog leg hole, when we got to our balls, I commented on the fact that, yet again, the pin was right behind a steep bunker. He said "I bet someone hits a great shot at the pin, hits the top of the bunker and ends up in it". I took my shot, and did exactly that. I jokingly said I blamed him for that. He then took his shot, and did exactly the same😀

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Second round of county seniors scratch knockout today.
Thanks to winning my first round, home draw, against a 1.5 chap, I got to go to Luffenham Heath today.
At least the £18 entry fee for the comp beat the £93 green fee by a long way.

Rules of the comp state that play must be from the longest measured tees/course.
So that meant par 70, CR 72.3 and SR 138.

Home club chap is 1.2 and I'm 4.0 and this is scratch matchplay.
I'm on the wrong side of a 5-and-a-half-year age difference as well.
That's two excuses so I'll leave out the other 4 I've thought of.

I was 4 down after 8.
If we wipe the slate clean at that point, I won the next 8 holes 1 up.
Unfortunately that is not how it works and I finnished 3&2 loss.

I've never got past round two in eight years of trying, but it was well worth it today - Luffenham Heath for £18 and got to play with a very good golfer and nice chap.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Played The High Course at Moor Park today, my first visit to the venue. Seen pictures of it, but wow, that clubhouse is something else.

Started brightly with 3 straight pars, driving fell away a little after that and always seemed to be playing my second shot out of the trees or bunkers. Managed to get 33 points which I was delighted with. Thoroughly enjoyed the course and the facilities.

Won nearest the pin on the 3rd and got a Moor Park hat, ball marker, pint glass and two sleeves of Pro Vs, more than the winners of the whole competition got 😂