Played my first comp yesterday and think i won

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This thread highlights why the max handicap should be 28. Equally, taking someone's money for a competition they can't win... Robbery.
Surely he won the money for his Division...... just can't win the overall Trophy/Board or whatever. Fair does if that's the C of Comp. We require the winner to have played 5 Q Comps in the past 12 months...... been just too many years of folk skanking it.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely he won the money for his Division...... just can't win the overall Trophy/Board or whatever. Fair does if that's the C of Comp. We require the winner to have played 5 Q Comps in the past 12 months...... been just too many years of folk skanking it.

Used to be three comps at my old place. I did find it interesting under the old system, we would have new members start the year on 24, win a bunch of big comps after playing badly in the initial 3 comps and end the year on 14 ?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Used to be three comps at my old place. I did find it interesting under the old system, we would have new members start the year on 24, win a bunch of big comps after playing badly in the initial 3 comps and end the year on 14 ?
Seems like some folk are quite happy for that sort of thing to be allowed/accommodated....... it's certainly not tolerated by our members with H/caps established over many years.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's special about 28? Why not 27 or 29, or 54?
I always wondered that but figured it was from par 72 + 28 = 100. But then 95% of the courses I've played weren't par 72, they were 68-70. I always thought 36 max would make the most sense, two shots every hole. 27 makes more sense than 28, at least it's two shots on 50% of the holes that way. :D

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would ask for clarification for sure. It may well be that the competition had a maximum handicap provision (Max 28 for example) and that wasn't automatically triggered when the results were initially posted.

Always worth checking the rules of the competition.

Very well played though and keep up the excellent progress.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sent the club an email and got a reply pretty fast. Basically said any handicap can enter a comp but to be eligible to win you have to be 28 handicap maximum. I am now 24 so just need to put some more work in and hopefully can have the round of my life to get a win lol. Saying that i did play this morning off the white tees and scored 89 ive only ever broke 90 before off the yellows so i am heading in right direction

What club you playing at G1z1?It should have been made clear to you before teeing it up- about the pre-condition involved. Poor form by committee imho!

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
What's special about 28? Why not 27 or 29, or 54?

Because if you're off 28, then playing well means hitting 99 or less. Breaking 100 is almost the goal for everyone when first getting into golf, no matter what age.

When you can win comps by hitting 120, it seems kind of ridiculous to be honest... Firstly you have the amount of time that it will take to complete the round with scores like that. Then you have the fact that when newer, younger players who are given high handicaps play, they are often improving at a rapid rate. If the original poster hits 100 like he did off a 28 handicap, he's hitting nett 72 or around that. Not nonsense like 55 :)

Nothing against anyone with high handicaps by the way - they didn't make the changes, so best of luck to them!

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I always wondered that but figured it was from par 72 + 28 = 100. But then 95% of the courses I've played weren't par 72, they were 68-70. I always thought 36 max would make the most sense, two shots every hole. 27 makes more sense than 28, at least it's two shots on 50% of the holes that way. :D

if i hit par and a 36 hits a double on the par 3's, we'll draw. Not fun.

G1z1

Visit site
Dropped my club an email asking about my handicap, now there saying my score had been removed and didn’t count at all. So didn’t win my division or anything lol think they just make the rules as they go along. So basically said I wasn’t happy and my score should at least work to getting my handicap down to a more accurate number, he agreed and said he would get handicap team to add my score just a normal round. So now im back to 24. Going to work like crazy and enter the championship and get my name on the board now just to wind them up.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dropped my club an email asking about my handicap, now there saying my score had been removed and didn’t count at all. So didn’t win my division or anything lol think they just make the rules as they go along. So basically said I wasn’t happy and my score should at least work to getting my handicap down to a more accurate number, he agreed and said he would get handicap team to add my score just a normal round. So now im back to 24. Going to work like crazy and enter the championship and get my name on the board now just to wind them up.
They literally sound clueless mate. You're quite right, they seem to be making it up as they go along. I wouldn't be surprised if that 28 handicap limit in order to win rule was never there, they probably just changed it and cancelled your score after a bunch of old gits moaned about being beaten by a high handicapper.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strange..... who did win Div 2 then & what was their H/cap.... all is most strange.
Before you enter the latter & in any case it would be a good idea to have a read of the Competition Terms & Conditions so you know the Rules. They should be on the Club Notice Board somewhere or ask the Match Sec where they are.