I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Yesterday afternoon played semi of club singles hcap KO. Giving 3 shots to a good matchplay player (he wouldn’t be in the semi if he wasn’t). I played well but lost. The manner of it irritates and disappoints me in equal measure. Not because he played well and holed everything in sight (and boy did he hole some long putts), and that I left about 4 hanging or just inches short. No..that’s golf. It was a great and tight match all the way with neither of us ever more than 1 up.

What rankles is the terrible tactical mistake then blunder I made on the 17 when we were all square.

After he had played two, his best was 4 but difficult requiring up and down from about 75yds, much more likely 5. To get a 5 I could lay up just short of the green with say a 7i avoiding the risk of the bunkers front left and right guarding the narrow entrance to the green. My short game was good, so an up and down chip and putt for a 4 was very possible, worst case 5 and likely half but a win on the cards. However I decided to go for green, confident that I could cope with a bunker shot if I was a bit off line. Even right of right bunker was ok. Left of LH bunker I didn’t really consider. And that’s where I hit it. Pin high in short rough but short-sided by a low mound covered in deep rough. Went over it well but left long and not so easy putt (in circumstances). Three putted for a 6. He got a 5. Down last after his perfect 2nd and with me having a difficult 2nd I couldn’t get the birdie likely required to take match to extra holes.

Curses and rats. It’s not the losing that hurts it’s the manner, because despite everything I feel I lost due to a silly tactical matchplay error. I’m a very experienced and reasonably successful matchplay player and I shouldn’t have made that mistake. Damn 🤬
Surely the mistake was the 3 putt and poor execution of a shot missing shot sided?

If you’d have laid up, there is no guarantee you would have hit the green or being close with your 3rd. You could easily have left yourself with the same putt.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played last night in the midweek sweep and again, nothing much to write about score wise. I hit my irons great, too good in fact as I was long on a few holes, maybe it's because it was a bit warmer yesterday? For instance on 9 it was 180 to the pin and I hit a 6 iron that looked all over it, was even saying "be good" while it was in the air but it carried the pin by about 15 yards, barely caught the back of the green and just managed to stay out the bushes. Shot Scope says it went 200 yards, I've no idea where it came from. Did the same a couple of times with a 7 iron with 175 to the back of the green, barely landed on the green and rolled through. Driver wasn't going longer though...

Hopefully I can keep hitting it like last night and I'm sure a decent round will come with it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played last night in the midweek sweep and again, nothing much to write about score wise. I hit my irons great, too good in fact as I was long on a few holes, maybe it's because it was a bit warmer yesterday? For instance on 9 it was 180 to the pin and I hit a 6 iron that looked all over it, was even saying "be good" while it was in the air but it carried the pin by about 15 yards, barely caught the back of the green and just managed to stay out the bushes. Shot Scope says it went 200 yards, I've no idea where it came from. Did the same a couple of times with a 7 iron with 175 to the back of the green, barely landed on the green and rolled through. Driver wasn't going longer though...

Hopefully I can keep hitting it like last night and I'm sure a decent round will come with it.
Did you accidentally eat four Weetabix before you went out? Everyone knows three is the limit.

Springveldt

Visit site
Did you accidentally eat four Weetabix before you went out? Everyone knows three is the limit.
Nah but I did have a grab bag of pickled onion monster munch, maybe I need to lay off them. I've just never seen my irons travel that far, even during that hot spell in June. Hopefully it's all the stretching I've been doing for a few months now beginning to come to fruition but I've not swung my Superspeed stick in 2 weeks since I think I hurt an abdominal muscle (had just got new pb's with all 3 sticks as well) which is feeling better now. I'm going to get the sticks out tonight and see if I've lost anything.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Knockout round on the Eden course today, i played the best I have all week, except on the greens where, unlike earlier in the week, I couldn't buy a putt, my opponent sadly for me holed some good ones and its fair to say had the best of the luck, needless to say all this meant that I got beat on the 14th. Just one last chance of glory tomorrow on the Jubilee course

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Knockout round on the Eden course today, i played the best I have all week, except on the greens where, unlike earlier in the week, I couldn't buy a putt, my opponent sadly for me holed some good ones and its fair to say had the best of the luck, needless to say all this meant that I got beat on the 14th. Just one last chance of glory tomorrow on the Jubilee course

I wish you well, just do it!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just done 11 holes practicing with the youth, played a couple of balls on a few holes, and we played a few off the white tees and the reds - just to see how much easier it is to make pars when you knock a few yards off the length of the hole. Loads of wildlife out on the course, hardly any humans, it was awesome. (y)

Well, they say the proof is in the pudding…

Little un has been out today and had a reight round.

Attachments

• IMG_2419.png
    IMG_2419.png
    291.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2420.jpeg
    IMG_2420.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 17

DamonG

Banned
Visit site
Treated the old man to 18holes today as a belated birthday present. We always play for a £2 coin, it is a tradition we have between us. Luckily i won it on the last hole, not many better finishing holes than the 18th at Westhill GC. Splendid.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Reading that I wouldn’t say tactical as you assessed the options and went with what you thought was right - you just didn’t execute the shot (which could have also happened laying up).
Except…I am not that consistent with a hybrid and much more consistent with a 7i. The low risk shot that I had by far the better chance of executing as intended was the 7i. I chose the wrong shot for me especially given my short game had been good. I was confident I could have executed the 7i to leave me an easy next shot.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely the mistake was the 3 putt and poor execution of a shot missing shot sided?

If you’d have laid up, there is no guarantee you would have hit the green or being close with your 3rd. You could easily have left yourself with the same putt.
I would have been 10-15yds from the putting surface most likely on the very broad apron or close cut fairway. I could have putted my ball onto the green to not that far from the hole. Yes I three putted, but that was as a result both of my irritation over what I had done plus the fact that I had left myself with a long and not that easy putt.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would have been 10-15yds from the putting surface most likely on the very broad apron or close cut fairway. I could have putted my ball onto the green to not that far from the hole. Yes I three putted, but that was as a result both of my irritation over what I had done plus the fact that I had left myself with a long and not that easy putt.
I almost never lay up if I think I can reach the green, because it puts more pressure on me to play a good pitch and not three-putt. I'd usually rather go for it and chip from wherever it ends up anyway. Unless going for it is stupid obviously (too far, over trouble etc).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did my back in this morning .
Decided to still play 9 holes

Course had been treated on greens so all sandy

I think I played my best tee to green ever.. the greens cost me about 5 shots and still walked off with decent score

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I almost never lay up if I think I can reach the green, because it puts more pressure on me to play a good pitch and not three-putt. I'd usually rather go for it and chip from wherever it ends up anyway. Unless going for it is stupid obviously (too far, over trouble etc).
I forgot about the big problems I would face if I ended left of green and pin high. The three putt was a golf skill issue; the change of mind from the conservative low risk golf I’d played to that point and that saw me only 4 over gross), to taking on the risk was for me a matchplay thinking issue and that’s what irritated me. I would have backed myself to win 18 or 1st extra hole.

Anyway. Onwards to infinity and beyond…👍

Jason.H

Visit site
Yesterday I played a course I used to be a member of in 2001. 1st time back there since 2007. Really enjoyed the course and a respectable +5 77. A couple of wayward tee shots put me in trouble but had a decent day with the putter, no 3 putts. The group in front let me through on the 10th tee where I hit my 7 iron to within 1 inch of the hole 😂

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We played today at Abbeydale in Sheffield. This is an awesome course with the slickest greens I've played on for at least two years. Lordy they were fast three putts everywhere. We caught a two ball up and had to wait a bit. Then a three ball caught up with us. As we waited on the 9th tee for the fairway to clear a member of the three ball marched round the 8th green and asked why we weren't teeing off and that why rounds take 4hours. Now normally I'd have let it go, he's not to know what's going on in front. But this time I'd calmly walked over and firmly told him why we were waiting and what was going on in front of us. A four ball was taking forever and holding up the two ball in front of us. One of which was a young girl putting a card in and was a hell of a player. As we could see from how far she smacked the ball. This totally ruined our day vits my birthday and I'd chosen the course to play as I knew it was good. We'd paid 50 quid to be berated by an nasty male bloke. I told the whoever it was in the Pro shop about this and made damn sure they understood how I felt. I will be contacting the club secretary as well. Rant over thanks for listening.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Day off to play the roll ups Holey Moley, which is the usually a spring comp, but that couldn't be organised then due to tee times not bring available for the whole group. Nice warn day with a nice warm south westerly wind... bliss. Hit it pretty well and the gym work, stretching exercises and medicine ball exercises really paid off hit some really long drives, well for me anyway. 5 birdies, closest in two prize ans 2nd overall. Got a load of prov 1s as prizes . Winner was getting 24 dhots and scored 41 points, only one behind was satisfying. Its not a prize you want to win as the trophy is a huge ceramic mole and you have to organise next year's event😉🤣

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I was +7 after the first two holes after a 6 (with a 4 putt from 12 feet - i blame the punched and sanded greens!), followed by a 9 (with two out of bounds off the tee).

I was then +9 for the next 16 holes including a couple of birdies for an 87.

Golf, 'tis a silly game.