I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Visit site

Visit site
I’ll try and embed the pics properly later.

Spent the day at Swinley Forest. It was up for grabs in our captains auction so £200 per man was enough to get us on. It is notoriously difficult to get on although in recent years it has relaxed and started to welcome visitors.

What a place. I’ve played some lovely heathland courses but this was in a different league to be honest. It is rated as the 2nd best inland course behind Sunningdale Old and I find it hard to argue.

First class welcome, very relaxed feel despite it being so incredibly full of old money (forumers will be shocked to learn of golfers with untucked T-shirts) and a truly beautiful golf course.

The heather was a different shade of purples and pinks, and very penal, the conditioning around the greens was the best I have ever seen, some genius hole design, and just a peaceful and splendid place to play golf.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Day off to play the roll ups Holey Moley, which is the usually a spring comp, but that couldn't be organised then due to tee times not bring available for the whole group. Nice warn day with a nice warm south westerly wind... bliss. Hit it pretty well and the gym work, stretching exercises and medicine ball exercises really paid off hit some really long drives, well for me anyway. 5 birdies, closest in two prize ans 2nd overall. Got a load of prov 1s as prizes . Winner was getting 24 dhots and scored 41 points, only one behind was satisfying. Its not a prize you want to win as the trophy is a huge ceramic mole and you have to organise next year's event😉🤣

Is that why you five putted the last? :whistle:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had the day off with the wife for things with her family that didn't materialise, so we decided to check out the new Airlinks golf course in Hounslow, which opened earlier this year.

It's a short course around 5000 yards, challenging in places but not too taxing. It does have a slightly linksy feel with the bumpy terrain, long rough, no trees, plenty of roll. The greens were a good speed as well. There was a couple of very driveable par 4 doglegs if you were brave enough, but I wasn't, since not knowing the course I wasn't sure of the lines.

We really enjoyed it and both played really well. I shot 78 for 42 points - I was a bit surprised the ratings were high enough to get me a playing handicap of 16 but that's another conversation. One birdie, ten pars, four bogeys, two doubles and one hugely disappointing treble when I lost the plot briefly. 😄

My wife definitely needs a handicap cut as she managed 47 points! A conservative 20 on the front nine then really hit her stride with 27 on the back. 😂 She even had a birdie putt narrowly missed for a tap-in par, and loads of steady bogeys for 3 or 4 points a pop!

Fun round, I think I only hit driver four times. We'll definitely return.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ll try and embed the pics properly later.

Spent the day at Swinley Forest. It was up for grabs in our captains auction so £200 per man was enough to get us on. It is notoriously difficult to get on although in recent years it has relaxed and started to welcome visitors.

What a place. I’ve played some lovely heathland courses but this was in a different league to be honest. It is rated as the 2nd best inland course behind Sunningdale Old and I find it hard to argue.

First class welcome, very relaxed feel despite it being so incredibly full of old money (forumers will be shocked to learn of golfers with untucked T-shirts) and a truly beautiful golf course.

The heather was a different shade of purples and pinks, and very penal, the conditioning around the greens was the best I have ever seen, some genius hole design, and just a peaceful and splendid place to play golf.
Great course but not sure 2nd best inland. Personally think Sunningdale New, Woodhall as well as Sunningdale Old are better. Sunningdale New is of course the best inland course.;)

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had my last round of the week at St Andrews this morning, out very early with a 16 year old Canadian girl, who has an index of +1.5, in on the Jubilee course in a Stableford competition.

My round went from the sublime to the not so good, not the best start on the first as my decent 2nd landed shot of the green and ran through into a bunker at the back, I got it out but 3 putted, the sublime occurred on the 2nd which is a short par 4, my drive finished up about 30 yds short of the green and I took my putter and holed it for an eagle 2 for 4 points and followed up with two 3pt pars, I probably should had had a couple more pars but twice failed to get down in 2 from just short of the green, on one of them I took 4 from about 40 yds from the flag, After 8 holes at the top ofthe course ihad 19 points although I could only manage a bogey on the 9 a non shot hole so turned 20 points. I have had 20 points or better everytime i have played this competition at the halfway stage and have always managed to mess up the back nince
We did have the wind behind on the first 8 and now we were playing back into it, i hate the 10th I rarely play it well and I hit a poor drive but manged to recover and got my bogey for 2 points, have I broken the jinx of the back nine? maybe not after the 11th where I again took 4 from around 30 yds, but I parred the 12th to get back on track, sadly the next 2 holes I didn't get shots and had 2 bogies, one with a 3 putt, so back to level 2, good 2 points on the 15 and then one my last shot hole I was on the green in regulation, but was annoyed to see my par putt from a couple of feet horseshoe out. I had a solid par on the 17th and so onto the last, Ihot a lovely drive and with the hole bwing 377 tinto the wind i didnt expect to be able to reach in two, however I hit a nice 3 wood which looked like it was going ot come up just a little short, but to my horror, it had rolled into a bunker just short of the green and was right up in the front left corner of the green and left with no stance, as I didny get a shot on the hole I tried ot get it out but failed and ultimately blobbed the hole. What a rotten way to finish.
I did end up with 34 points just 3 off the winner, my only consolation was that I will be due a small handicap cut.

I have enjoyed my trips tp St Andrews for the Strathtyrum competitions although I feel it will be my last one, my handicap has increased so I probably will not get in automatically , it is a very long drive there and back and frasnkly I do not think I will be able to afford it as while the golf is cheap, the accomodation and food is very expensive.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played ‘The Chair’ format with a mate and his guest. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Did a 5 over gross and lost on the last…why? My mate was a point up on me after 17, indeed he had one pt, me and his guest had not scored. His guest had been nowhere all round, but holed a long birdie putt on the last completely out of character with his play and putting all round and that putt deprived me of the hole win I needed to level with my mate. But of course that’s the fun of the format and we all laughed as we shook hands and I was congratulated on my knock, despite the result. 👍😊

Last edited:

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Played tonight and for the first time in months never hit a shank.🥳. Actually played quite well with a few chances of birdie ( not taken, two miracles in one round might be too much.)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Good knock that round Dewsbury.

The back nine is easier than the front, if it isn't windy - it was pretty calm on Thursday, but even so - 2 over gross on the back nine is great scoring for a kid of his age and stature - he said the only bad shot he hit all day was a chunked 8 iron up the 18th which ended up in a greenside bunker.

Hopefully he can keep posting a few rounds in the 80's and maintain his handicap at sub 15 level. (y)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The back nine is easier than the front, if it isn't windy - it was pretty calm on Thursday, but even so - 2 over gross on the back nine is great scoring for a kid of his age and stature - he said the only bad shot he hit all day was a chunked 8 iron up the 18th which ended up in a greenside bunker.

Hopefully he can keep posting a few rounds in the 80's and maintain his handicap at sub 15 level. (y)
If he keeps at it I’m sure that his handicap will tumble 👍. I know the course really well. As a kid in the 70s I used to live in one of the houses in the old reform school before it was turned into a care home. Spent half my life in the woods by the green keepers sheds and on the course looking for balls. My dad was also a member there for a few years so I’ve played it loads. The first proper golf shot I ever hit that made me go wow was a 6 iron onto the 5th green. That was the old green, not the present one. The tee shot on 14 is something else. Not a fan of the walk up the 2nd though 🤣

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Eight days since I was on my own course. It has been greens maintenance week.
I knew that the greens would be heavily sanded and have scarifying marks, so was not expecting anything other than a friendly social game and that's what it was.

Matchplay betterball and we drew for partners on the first tee at 7:55am.
My partner getting 9 shots from me and the opponents 9 and 12 shots.

In my bag were Cobra F-Speed driver, 3-wood and 20° hybrid (2004/5) - £25, £16, £14
Powerbilt oversize perimeter weighted 2-iron (1990s I think) - nowt, given to me. (I have the whole set 2-SW)
pwrblt ovs.jpg
Forgan Powerpakt irons 2-9 (c 1961) - £20 the set.
Cleveland Classics 691 58° wedge. (1990s I think) - £2.70
Carnegie Clark "King" putter. - nowt, given to me.
I make that £77.70

Yellow tees, Par 70, CR 69.1, SR 127. Very breezy this morning.
Made two birdie 2s on the front nine, completed that 9 in level par and partner and I were 3 up.
Made two bogeys (SI 2 and 4) on the back nine and 7 two-putt pars.
Won the game 3&2.
Driver was going very well - only one iffy one on the 3rd - hacked about for a single putt bogey.
15 putts front nine and 18 putts back nine - no three-putts.

Another social game booked for Tuesday and I am thinking about premiering a set of Daiwa Trypower blades 3-PW.

set01.jpg

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have enjoyed my trips tp St Andrews for the Strathtyrum competitions although I feel it will be my last one, my handicap has increased so I probably will not get in automatically , it is a very long drive there and back and frasnkly I do not think I will be able to afford it as while the golf is cheap, the accomodation and food is very expensive.
Where did you stay? I find out of term time the University Halls are pretty good value to stay in and serve a good breakfast.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just the Saturday roll-up, and off back tees managed a tidy 5 over gross and 39pts in difficult and windy conditions. Joint winner of the 31 playing and a nice little £11 pocket money as a result.

Scoring rather well at the moment and if I could sharpen up my putting scoring would be 2-3 shots better (3 x 3 putts today not great even though they were all long distance 3 putts)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Charity Day Waltz today...teams of 4, 1 score to count on the 1sr, 2 on the second, 3 on the third..rinse, repeat
Solid but unspectacular scoring, we trailed by 6 points at the turn and 12 after 18.
None of us could hole a putt
Good fun though and a decent amount raised..

RichA

Visit site
After 3 p-poor drives this morning, I left the driver in the the bag and used nothing longer than 4-hybrid for the rest of the round. I ended up with my best round in weeks. The driver isn't even leaving the house tomorrow morning.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
First full round in 3wks due to holiday, started with a double and then a couple of bogies, then steadied the ship until a bad 3putt double on 11, i dropped three shots on the last 4 holes for a 79 - pretty happy considering how little I’ve played.