I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
President’s day medal at our club yesterday. Very strong wind blowing, fast greens and some tough pin positions. I played well in stretches, but had a couple of poor holes on each nine.

Finished with a net 69, which was one of only three scores net under par (71) out of a field of 115. Unfortunately for me I was the clubhouse leader for just 10 minutes as a net 66 was recorded in the group behind. A cut of 0.8 overnight.

Striking the ball well at the moment and carried that through to the roll up this morning.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A medal board comp today. Starting on the 10th, I started brightly with two bogeys and two pars (including one on the hardest hole), but chucked that in the bin by going 6, 5 on the two consecutive par 3s. Kept my head though and made tidy pars on 17, 18, 2, 3 and 4. Missed a two foot bogey putt on the 5th which was painful, but a steady par, bogey, par, bogey finish for 81 gross, nett 1 under. Not enough to challenge the competition leaders of course, but a cracking round that will be adjusted to 80 on my record and should see me cut from 14.5 to 14.1 if I've worked it out right. Very pleased.

D

Deleted member 15344

Second round of the club champs playing with the two guys at the top

One started with a double

Solid level par front 9 had me 4 behind the young lad who was playing superb

Birdied ten to get closer but then he eagled 12 whilst I chased to hard and had 4 bogeys on the bounce

Just lost momentum to finish 4 back from him who was 3 under

The 3 of us were a good ten shots clear of everyone else

Happy to be that close to the two young county players

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ll try and embed the pics properly later.

Spent the day at Swinley Forest. It was up for grabs in our captains auction so £200 per man was enough to get us on. It is notoriously difficult to get on although in recent years it has relaxed and started to welcome visitors.

What a place. I’ve played some lovely heathland courses but this was in a different league to be honest. It is rated as the 2nd best inland course behind Sunningdale Old and I find it hard to argue.

First class welcome, very relaxed feel despite it being so incredibly full of old money (forumers will be shocked to learn of golfers with untucked T-shirts) and a truly beautiful golf course.

The heather was a different shade of purples and pinks, and very penal, the conditioning around the greens was the best I have ever seen, some genius hole design, and just a peaceful and splendid place to play golf.

I remember back in the 80s it was my turn to organise a society away day. Swinley Forest I suggested which got a loud laugh.

I used to drive past it a few days a week but I had no idea of it's 'league'.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Greens maintenance week last week and I forgot to add some extra weight to the putter.

Managed a respectable 36 points but it would have been a lot better on the greens the previous week. The hardest thing to remember is it is not just the putts that are slow but allowance needs to be made for chips and pitches as well.

Played in a team event and sadly we missed out by 1 point . Winners taking all.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Did our ten hole inner circuit late afternoon by myself really focussing on bottom of swing arc for the strikes I’m looking for for different clubs. And had some significant success…even allowing myself to do a fuller backswing with driver and fairway clubs, and with relatively great results.

It’ll most likely be a case of ‘here today, gone tomorrow’ …but you never know.

MACM85

Visit site
Sorry it's a late reply. But that is a disgusting way to behave. Has he been thrown out of the club?

No idea if I am honest. However I received a 12 week ban from comps and a ban from the winter knockout and a 4 week suspension of membership due to my use of foul language. They also removed me from the two semi final matches I was still in so have had to forfeit those.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No idea if I am honest. However I received a 12 week ban from comps and a ban from the winter knockout and a 4 week suspension of membership due to my use of foul language. They also removed me from the two semi final matches I was still in so have had to forfeit those.
That seems incredibly harsh to me. Can you appeal?

MACM85

Visit site
That seems incredibly harsh to me. Can you appeal?

I did appeal. They allowed me to enter the summer knockouts. They had banned me for that as well.

I was told by a member on the committee if I was to appeal the removal from the two summer knockouts I was still in then it would be a fruitless exercise. My playing partner was told before me that I wouldn't be allowed to play the remainder of the year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's absolutely mental! All that just because you swore at someone who was being a prick?? I'd be taking my membership elsewhere if they didn't back down on that.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Seems a bit OTT punishment for what was a squabble.
If I were you, I would want to know exactly what was meted out to the other chap to assess whether what they did to you was fair/unfair in comparison.
As @rudebhoy said, did they inform you of an appeal process?

MACM85

Visit site
Seems a bit OTT punishment for what was a squabble.
If I were you, I would want to know exactly what was meted out to the other chap to assess whether what they did to you was fair/unfair in comparison.
As @rudebhoy said, did they inform you of an appeal process?

I tried to ask the committee member that has been helpful and on my side so to speak and he said he couldn't say right now as the punishment was not announced to the player. However his membership is due shortly while I have just renewed mine.

There is no further appeal after I appealed the original punishment. They reduced the knockout ban to just the winter to conincide with the 12 week club competition ban. Even that I thought was harsh on me for literally saying two swear words to the chap.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another tough day on lightening fast greens. This time at Lindrick. Breathe on a tiddly putt miss the hole and a 2 footer back. Sigh! 36 points in a mixed open with two blobs. But what a golf course!!!!! I played excellent. The wife started to play a bit better. Par fives are her best. Boom boom on in three with two shots. Three putts later.....6. Gotta get her interested in golf enough to practice her short game instead of rocking up once a week for a knock for a bit of excersise.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I tried to ask the committee member that has been helpful and on my side so to speak and he said he couldn't say right now as the punishment was not announced to the player. However his membership is due shortly while I have just renewed mine.

There is no further appeal after I appealed the original punishment. They reduced the knockout ban to just the winter to conincide with the 12 week club competition ban. Even that I thought was harsh on me for literally saying two swear words to the chap.
I take it you renewed before they announced your punishment?

There is no way I would have renewed after getting hit with such a draconian ban, particularly without knowing what happened to the other guy. Were there witnesses who testified against you, or was it just your word against his? Either way, the sentence seems totally disproportionate.

MACM85

Visit site
I take it you renewed before they announced your punishment?

There is no way I would have renewed after getting hit with such a draconian ban, particularly without knowing what happened to the other guy. Were there witnesses who testified against you, or was it just your word against his? Either way, the sentence seems totally disproportionate.

I renewed in July and paid in full. Then this happened a few weeks later.

What has annoyed me the most is that I contacted the other lady who played and offered an apology to how the match went. The other chap hasn't even contacted my Mrs to apologise for his behaviour. All he has done is block me on whatsapp and remove me as a friend on EG. It is like a school child response!

My Mrs did a play by play account. I beleive the other chap put in his account of events and a formal complaint about me. They also spoke to the other lady in question. I admitted my use of the language and apologised for how things went. What did annoy me was the club asked if I could pop in to go over the match. Did that and that is when they told me I was getting a 4 week ban. I said to them I didn't appreciate the cloak and dagger disciplinary meeting and that they should have been honest and upfront when they contacted me