I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

MACM85

Visit site
So he was the aggressor, he upset the women, you tried to calm him, he physically threatened you and your partner and your committee ban you from comps for 12 weeks mmmmmmmm,

I'd appeal !

The issue that I have is that I use foul language and they are feeling that I was responsible for his aggression etc. I did actually appeal and managed to get it reduced slightly but not squashed.

Issue is the committee at our club have zero idea how to run things

Visit site
Played Chester-le-Street yesterday for the first time in about 30 years. A very impressive set up but a bit of a disappointing course. Not much variety and left me a bit underwhelmed. Yes there are nice views of Lumley Castle and The Riverside but I'm very familiar with both places. Still, at £20 can't grumble too much. Shot 88, not knowing the course, I was reasonably happy with that. Might go again to confirm if it goes on my rota.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played at Oldham yesterday, one of the more "interesting" courses in the area, team of 3 and we had a steady front nine (the easier holes) and 40 points, we only managed 34 on the back nine, I played OK had a few 3 pointers including a nice birdie 2 on a blind par 3.
They gave all visitors one courtesy point so our 74 points became 77 and to our surprise we won the competition.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
First handicap qualifier for a while today after scarification and top dressing and recovery.

Had an SD 5.3 dropping off so my target was to replace like-for-like.

Starting with 5 straight bogeys didn't help, yet I missed target by just one shot by the end. Going up 0.1 isn't going to make much of a difference.
I have 4 free-shots at getting down coming up next.

Very happy with how I played 13 holes after a poor start.
Tuesday evening I feared golf was over for the year, so change that to very very happy indeed.

In the bag,
Cobra F-Speed driver and 3-wood (£25 in 2010 and £16 last year)
Cobra Baffler 20° (£14 in 2021 and didn't hit a shot with it today)
Powerbilt Oversize 2-iron (nowt, given, hit several shots, quite windy today)
Daiwa Trypower TCS blades 3-PW (£28 the set inc postage this year)
Cleveland Classics 58° (£2.70 last year)
Carnegie Clark "King" putter (nowt, given)

£85.70, but put new grips on the driver and hybrid this year - so make that just over £90 if you like.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Silver comp at Nairn today, hit it well but scored poorly, had 3 trebles on he card from the middle of the fairway, shot 80 gross had plenty of luck all bad🤣 that was just the start, only just home walked off the course a 1.30 car broke down and had to wait to be towed back to inverness☹️

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Had the 1/4 finals of our club scratch knockout today, I had my work cut out as I’m off 10 and the guy I was playing is off 0.4. He’d won his matches in the last 2 rounds 9&8.

I had to play well to stand a chance and I did, I was 3 down after 9 and 3 over gross. Won the next 2 holes to bring it back to 1 down. Then bogey/bogey/par/bogey saw us shaking hands on the 15th green and me losing 4&3.

I thought I played well overall, playing in the breeze the big taken away for me was how well he was able to flight his iron shots down to control the distance, something I know I need to be better at, but struggle to find the middle of the club face when I do.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to play Airlinks again with my wife after she enjoyed it last week - a friend joined us as well this time.

I birdied the 1st and the 4th with some incredible putts, but the progress slowed down a little after that. Weirdly my putting went from excellent to total meltdown, and from the 9th I had five three-putts in six holes. Then after that it was fine again! Can't explain it. Consequently after a front nine of 22 points it was a more modest back nine of 17 for 39 total - 81 gross.

My wife couldn't hit the ball for 3 holes as she hadn't played with this particular mate before and she always takes a while to settle with new people. Eventually it clicked with a couple of steady bogeys. She ended up 17 points out and 20 back for 37.

My mate was hit and miss as he can be a bit wayward, but he managed an eagle on the 9th after after driving the green by accident! It's a left to right dogleg but only 220 ish to go straight at the green - he wasn't trying to get there but pushed his tee shot a little, found the green by mistake and slammed home the 15 footer for eagle. Ended up shooting 91 for 30 points though - 5 of them for the eagle.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have won my way through to 3 knockout finals at ours this seaosn and today was the first of them, it was a singles KO and I was giving 9 shots. It was an interesting match, after winning the first I lost the next two which were shot holes got back level with a birdie on 4, I won the 5th even though I was giving a shot but then lost the 6th were I wasn't, then won the 7th, another shot hole before my opponent birdied 8 and 9 both non shot holes. so I was 1 down after 9 but then won 10 and 11, both shot holes, before losing 13 to be all square again. My opponent messed up 14 and then I won 15 another hole where I was giving a shot to go 2 up for the first time, only for her to hit back and win 16 with a par and 17 with a nett par, so all square on the 18th tee where I found the green after she found a bunker, and i won the hole and the match with a par.

so a strange match where I won more holes where I was giving shots than when I wasn't and vice versa.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Rubbish stableford total yesterday, but focussing on reflecting on the good shots coming from what I am working on rather than the bad or indifferent stuff that is just golf.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have won my way through to 3 knockout finals at ours this seaosn and today was the first of them, it was a singles KO and I was giving 9 shots. It was an interesting match, after winning the first I lost the next two which were shot holes got back level with a birdie on 4, I won the 5th even though I was giving a shot but then lost the 6th were I wasn't, then won the 7th, another shot hole before my opponent birdied 8 and 9 both non shot holes. so I was 1 down after 9 but then won 10 and 11, both shot holes, before losing 13 to be all square again. My opponent messed up 14 and then I won 15 another hole where I was giving a shot to go 2 up for the first time, only for her to hit back and win 16 with a par and 17 with a nett par, so all square on the 18th tee where I found the green after she found a bunker, and i won the hole and the match with a par.

so a strange match where I won more holes where I was giving shots than when I wasn't and vice versa.
Congrats on the victory…always a great achievement to win a knockout final…

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Out at 6.30 this morning with a pal m. First time I've played in 2 weeks.

Put my back out yesterday and probably shouldn't have played but was desperate to get out.

Despite being in pain stood over the ball I managed to thin my way round to 37 points after having a torrid time of it recently, will even get a small cut! Halved the side-match on the 18th as well. Good to be back out!

Gonna be feeling it later though 😒

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mixed foursomes semi-final this morning. I only had about 5 hours sleep and consequently played rubbish. We were two down early, turned it around to go 1 up after 6, but just didn't produce enough from that point forward and ultimately lost 4 & 2. The 26 handicap female on their team played very well and hardly put a foot wrong. I hit two drives that we had to take a drop from, so directly cost us two holes, and the only putt I managed to hole was one we didn't even need when I was trying to lag it up and it dropped in. I am absolutely gutted.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mixed foursomes semi-final this morning. I only had about 5 hours sleep and consequently played rubbish. We were two down early, turned it around to go 1 up after 6, but just didn't produce enough from that point forward and ultimately lost 4 & 2. The 26 handicap female on their team played very well and hardly put a foot wrong. I hit two drives that we had to take a drop from, so directly cost us two holes, and the only putt I managed to hole was one we didn't even need when I was trying to lag it up and it dropped in. I am absolutely gutted.
Was so gutted about the above that I went back out for nine holes on my own after the women's cup final. Course was pretty empty, so only took me an hour.

Chalk and cheese, obviously. Simple fix meant I was striking driver superbly. Short game and putting were fine. Started with a birdie and ended up shooting 38, 20 points for the nine holes played - and that was with triple on the last hole after stuffing my 7 iron off a bare lie.

Stupid game. But at least I won't be depressed now for a week until my next game. Good decision to go back out.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rearranged Nett Club Championship. Was level par after 13 holes but dropped shots in 14 and 16 to finish with Nett 69 ,currently 4th.
See golf random irritations for GRI

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Medal No.10 this year, and I did something that I never do - declared NR. Pulled one left after a good drive on the 14th, couldn't find my ball, and after a string of 12 holes where I'd struggled to score, I threw the towel in. With a clear head, I finished with 2 pars and 2 bogeys - to ensure I will return next week for more torture....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No one to verify it, does it count? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well done🍻
That’s been a very well rehearsed debate over the years.

In 50yrs of playing I’ve never actually had one that’s been observed…other than the one last winter from temp tee of a par 4 to a frozen temp green, over 49yds (yes 49) of frozen fairway. I’ve taken the albatross but not the HI1 - though that didn’t stop my buddies insisting upon the bottle of whisky on the bar.

I did my 1st ever on our 6th about ten years ago, but like today I was by myself with not a soul about to witness it, other than my maker - and he’s not too vocal about such things.