I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just our normal Saturday rollup…but all of my four decided to also enter the club Saturday stableford. I entered as I have played too much non-WHS qualifying golf (or not enough ‘serious’ golf) recently and have played extremely carelessly.

I have QF of club handicap KO on Monday and giving 8 shots in that match I really felt the need to get my head down and play focussed and ‘serious’ golf. And so I took the opportunity today and fortunately played pretty well.

A careless double on 17th irritated and probably cost me the competition win…but more importantly I still managed to play to my PH. A much-needed filip to my confidence ahead of Monday.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Captains day at ours today. Soft course, playing long. Heavy downpours rolling in every few holes.
Scrambled really well. Holed some decent putts for a change. 3 sand saves.
Got through 15 holes two over and in the short par 4 16th fairway I fatted a wedge and 3 putted from the edge of the green.
Dropped another on 17 after being sucked into going for the front pin. Par up 18 left me at 4 over. Really happy with how I played overall but a slightly sour taste left by the finish.
Another cut incoming. 😀

Springveldt

Visit site
Captains Day at ours yesterday and a so-so round for me again. Putted poorly again and also my green side touch has deserted me, chips that I’d normally knock to 3 foot and under are now being left 6 and 7 foot short. Had 13 4’s on the card but the other 5 holes added up to 28 for a round of 80. Haven’t checked my strokes gained but I’m expecting my putting to have cost me around 3 shots to an average 5 handicapper.

One bright spot was we had a beat the pro on our 9th hole, a 180 yard par 3. It was basically a free gamble, cost £10 but if you lost you got £10 shop credit and if you won you got £20 shot credit. I knocked a 6 iron to about 15 foot to win but then of course I 3 putted from there in front of the captain, vice captain and bunch of other lads I know.

One annoying thing was the 4 lads behind us who seemingly just wanted to run around the course. None of them took the beat the pro challenge and we don’t think they even stopped after the 9th to get a burger and drink from the Captain as by the time we got to our 2nd shots on 10 they were already on the tee and even teed off before I could hit my 2nd as they couldn’t reach me. Just felt like the whole day they were hitting up behind us and the round wasn’t egregiously slow, we got round in 4 hours (including pit stop for said burger, drink and pleasantries) while a normally Saturday for our 4 ball is around 3 hours 45. We didn’t lose any holes between us and the group in front.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out early again with a mate who's been struggling with his game for months...and No, it wasn't Fragger - he's beyond help!
A nice social, relaxed round, no pressure, talking through shots and strategies.....
Had my putting boots on over the front 9...holed miles of putts for a 1 over total and 22 points.
And he turned with 20!
The putter cooled down on the back 9 and the wind began to start howling .....it got pretty tough over the last 4 or 5 holes..
5 over and 17 points for me - another 77 and 39 points like yesterday.
Andy kept it together and just lost by a point at the end...came away feeling much better about his game and ,armed with some new ways of playing certain holes, he won't be getting 29 shots for long.....
A grand morning....

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Played early this morning in weather very similar to the British Senior Open, didn't play well and didn't enjoy it. Where in the name of God is the decent weather.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Friendly threeball this morning. Played very well for the most part. They say "keep the 6 off the card" which I did perfectly well. Just a shame I had three 7s. Very silly 7s that came out of nowhere as well, on the 4th, 8th and 12th. Short game let me down a few times which is a shame as that was coming together in recent weeks. Eight pars and seven bogeys though for a round of 83. Drained some great putts. Feeling very good about my game again now, just need to cut out the silly crap holes.

I put a card in as well as all my counting rounds were a while ago now. 20th round dropping off was an 83 as well so at least I won't be going up!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lovely friendly meet with the old sticks at limpsfield chart, a quirky 9 holer with 2 sets of tees dating back to late 1800’s. A scruffy 13pts on the front turned with 18 points on the back.

Lost the meet by a single point to 32pts but his clubs were 30 years newer than mine.

The club was definitely like stepping back in history.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Played today at Crook Hill Park in Doncaster, on the Golfing Princess Breast Cancer Awareness day.
Started with an 11 - yes, an ELEVEN!! and that set the tone. :ROFLMAO:

Course layout is great, but it’s a muni and the fees are crazy cheap, and that’s reflected in the quality of some aspects of the course.

Had a great day though, many pound notes raised for a great cause, which is what it was all about.

D

Deleted member 15344

Blinking Nora is this still going!!!!! Remember when this was first started

I played today and beat the lad 2 UP to get bragging rights which I'm going to enjoy as very soon I won't be able to keep up with him 🤣

Well look who has returned 👏👏

How are you doing ? Hope you’re well - still at Purdis ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I've written on here a few times recently about my golfing woes and how I'd not broken 90 for couple of months and my handicap was rapidly heading upwards.

One swallow does not a summer make but hopefully tonight was the start of a reversal in fortunes.

Update: it wasn't.

Played Stockport today in a 4bbb - driving was superb again but everything else was dreadful. My touch around the greens is killing me. 28 points individually and 36 for the pair.

Great course though, played it twice now and it really is superb - pristine fairways and the greens were fantastic. With a couple of exceptions every hole is memorable.

Class day nonetheless.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Wednesday gone I managed a very first individual comp win!

Gross 76, net 62 (score diff 8.2)

My short game was just on fire, thrilled to finally get a win!

This weekend was club champs, seriously tough conditions round here this weekend, very strong winds and the course is playing tough, played very average on Saturday for a gross 88, played a bit better today for a gross 82.

Just waiting to hear final results but hoping to break into the top 20 overall.

Iron striking still something that needs some work but I’m scoring okay atm somehow 😂

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1st day of our annual five day trip to Monmouth. Played at The Players on route today and got soaked. Rained from the 5th hole and never stopped. Greens were excellent.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Wednesday gone I managed a very first individual comp win!

Gross 76, net 62 (score diff 8.2)

My short game was just on fire, thrilled to finally get a win!

This weekend was club champs, seriously tough conditions round here this weekend, very strong winds and the course is playing tough, played very average on Saturday for a gross 88, played a bit better today for a gross 82.

Just waiting to hear final results but hoping to break into the top 20 overall.

Iron striking still something that needs some work but I’m scoring okay atm somehow 😂
Very well done, congratulations!

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I played in the Bedfordshire County 4BBB Championship at Dunstable Downs today.

£45 each for entry and we got 2 rounds, breakfast, lunch and dinner for that. Such good value.

I've never played the course before but absolutely loved it, in fantastic condition and the greens were great too.

My partner and I played super solid golf, 38 points for the first round with 1 blob. The rain came in when we were on the 16th hole and it barely relented after that.

Lunch and then onto round 2. Super wet and windy but we continued where we left off with both of us contributing to a super solid 40 points, grand total of 78 and 2nd place overall. Both of us receiving £80 gift vouchers for any Bedfordshire county pro shop, we were delighted to say the least.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just a few holes by myself as weather was windy and drizzle…still managed a nice birdie on our 474yd par 4 2nd played into the wind. Not easy to hit in two in best of times as 2nd is always blind, and today I was 60yd short, then holed an absolute peach of a pitch for a birdie. The rest of the few holes I played was superfluous noise, though mostly of the pleasant variety.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't thinkmive ever been so racked off than I was after today's round....
To miss a, potentially large, rollup we normally start at the 10th hole.
We did this today and flew around that 9 holes, both playing well...so well that I had 1 bogey and 1 birdie for a level par 9 and 23 points
Got to the 1st, our 10th, to find 3 groups waiting and another just leaving the tee...with more already well into their rounds
It took more than 30 minutes for us to get going again, by which time several of my dodgy joints were already complaining
The 9 holes took more than 2 hours more...bearing in mind we went round the longer 9 in 75 minutes...
I could barely make a swing by our 18th hole and the 12 points I amassed was probably as good as I could have done...
If pace of play is slow from the start my joints can handle it....my problems start when, like today, you play at a good pace and then slam against a wall...
Still going to get a small cut but, the way I was playing, I'd have got a darn sight more than 12 on the back 9.....
If only there was a way we could regulate the number of people on the course............. :unsure: :mad: