I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Springveldt

Visit site
Just in from a round that had so much promise but I threw away a good score. Ended up shooting 80 for a 7.2 differential but driver cost me 3 shots (1 in the trees that I had to hack out and one in the cabbage that was lost) and I bogied the last 3 holes due to a missed 3 foot putt, a chunked wedge from 90 yards and a chunked wedge from 93 yards.

Still lots of positives to take away and considering I was shooting 87 last weekend and felt like sticking my gear on eBay it’s a vast improvement. ?

Think my index now goes up to 6.7, going the wrong way but hopefully I’ve turned a corner.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Front 9, absolute bag of spanners. Back 9, half decent, although not fully decent ?. Struggled with concentration today so wasted far too many shots on poor chips, bad alignment and the like.

Upside, tried out my new putter today and we got on very well ?. Great pace judgement and it worked well on short putts.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf’s such a frustrating game. 2 day comp this weekend, 100 entries, top 16 go through to tomorrow. Medal, 95% of handicap, so I get 19.

5 over gross on the front 9, playing out of my skin, parred the last 4 holes, literally about to text the wife ‘don’t make any plans for me tomorrow, I’m getting through’. Bogey on the 10th, fine, followed by 3 doubles and a triple, I could’ve cried! Managed to stem the flow to a degree and finished +1 net, which I would’ve taken at the start. But it’s the hope that kills you.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
My day summed up nicely from second hole of todays board comp. 3 off the tee and in trouble. Thought I’d found my TM ball which has 3 dots on it and got it on the green for 5.

Marked and picked my ball up to clean only find it’s infact not my ball but the same ball with 3 dots with an added squiggle underneath to complete a smiley face which I could not see.

PP’s appreciated my honesty and had a good laugh at my expense.

85 nett. Soaked right through.

Attachments

• 3C0A3C5B-AB00-4CF7-8004-72CBF0748291.jpeg
    3C0A3C5B-AB00-4CF7-8004-72CBF0748291.jpeg
    477.4 KB · Views: 4

idiotdogbrain

Visit site
Managed 16 holes in the twilight at Merrist Wood on Thursday and enjoyed it so much (I was being kind to myself on the scoring, so multiple mulligans, etc ?) that I took the afternoon off yesterday to play the full 18.

Shot 99 gross, don't have an official handicap but reckon on around 28. App I use gave me adjusted 33hcp due to slope rating, so 66 net. Happy with that, especially as I was 5 off the tee on the 6th after pulling two left into the water.. ?‍♂️

Jason.H

Visit site
Golf’s such a frustrating game. 2 day comp this weekend, 100 entries, top 16 go through to tomorrow. Medal, 95% of handicap, so I get 19.

5 over gross on the front 9, playing out of my skin, parred the last 4 holes, literally about to text the wife ‘don’t make any plans for me tomorrow, I’m getting through’. Bogey on the 10th, fine, followed by 3 doubles and a triple, I could’ve cried! Managed to stem the flow to a degree and finished +1 net, which I would’ve taken at the start. But it’s the hope that kills you.
Ive found a lot of people count their scores up after 9th and then the playing partners start to go on about how well your doing. Personally I don’t need to know till after 18th. I still know if I have a good card going but don’t need playing partners talking about it during the back nine. So often it’s easy to let it slip thinking about the score rather than the next shot.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
First round since jubilee weekend today. After a nightmare triple on the first, (along with another double and triple to boot) managed to find some form and come in 14 over.

Was my first official iGolf card submission too. So I’m quite pleased, given my last official handicap back when I played regular was 19.2; as my previous 2 rounds were 15 over and 12 over (on jubilee and Easter weekends respectively).

Fully invested in the game again…just a challenge to play regularly. But iGolf is a good way of keeping track of my handicap going forward (I think; I’m still unsure how it all works ?)

got our inaugural company golf day on Friday at Tewkesbury Park, so I’m looking forward to that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Entered the monthly Stableford today. Starting on the 13th - not normally my favourite starting point as it gives you a run of tough holes to finish on at the end.

Started well with a couple of pars, and another one at the 18th. Couple of nice up and downs for bogeys in between. Got very lucky on the 1st having missed the green left, chipping off a ridiculous downslope but accidentally bumped it into the bank which saw it hold the green nicely, two putts for bogey. Followed that up by birdieing the 2nd with a great putt. Steady bogeys for the next 7 holes in a row, parred the 10th but annoyingly got my first double of the day on the 11th (second to last hole).

So one hole to go, I'm sitting on 36 points, but the 12th is stroke index 1, so I'm just thinking don't be silly and return a decent score. Hit a great drive that left me about 165 in, then hit a cracking hybrid onto the back of the green. About 20 feet from the hole, all downhill and left to right. Gave it a little tap and it only went in the bloody hole! Thanks to that I shot 79 for 40 points. Put my card in and I've won the competition on countback! Lost for words, my first comp win at Grims Dyke, totally didn't expect it. I'll remember that putt forever I reckon. Certainly exorcised the demon of getting a 12 on that hole in the Club Champs!!

Should be a small cut coming I expect, a score dif 16.1 is going off the bottom of my record, and this one should work out as around 13 I think.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Rare for me to play on a Saturday but it was the last day for our club pairs knockout round. Had to be at the eye clinic for a possible injection early afternoon, and time was tight. Got round to the 10th and the Saturday swindle were there in force , we had to alternate and they can be pretty slow and last time any of them let anyone through was in the 1900's. The back 9 was slow and our 2 up lead went to only 1 up on the 17th. I was dreading losing the 18th and having to carry on but luckily we halved 18 to win 1 up. Got home in time for a quick turnaround and, luckily, they decided not to inject my eye!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ive found a lot of people count their scores up after 9th and then the playing partners start to go on about how well your doing. Personally I don’t need to know till after 18th. I still know if I have a good card going but don’t need playing partners talking about it during the back nine. So often it’s easy to let it slip thinking about the score rather than the next shot.

It normally doesn’t affect me, I’d managed to get to the point where I preferred to know my score in case I was getting close to a pb etc. But that’s twice in a month now where I’ve lost it on the back 9. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Got out for 18 this evening. Front 9 was absolute garbage with nothing but my putter going well, had blown through the 12 shots I get by the turn ?.

On the 10th tee I had a word with myself and played the next 8 holes 3 over par, before annoyingly slicing my tee shot OB on 18 and finishing with a triple.

Putter was absolutely on fire all round though, lag putting was great and I holed 3 >15 footers.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
A year of shiite and then the best day in ages as i found some form after a very poor first 4 holes! Rchart - you missed a great day

View attachment 43288
Sorry to miss the day Paul, but did get a third place at Hockley with Gordon in the oap's Open. Did you let Steve come in on any holes ?:LOL: Bet it was a long night for the others on your table.:eek:

Playing at Centurion tomorrow in the Rick Garg memorial trophy. Will be good to catch up with Karen and am sure it will be an emotional day.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
1st game back at Willow Valley as members for me and the youth, took my brother along as well. played the Championship course - yellow tees. It was Captains day so there were some tricky pins, but the course was in outstanding condition. Some incredible ball striking from the lad, especially on the back nine. Highlight was a birdie on the 17th, 460 yard uphill par 5. I was only dreaming about making birdies on par 5’s at 12 years old. ?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry to miss the day Paul, but did get a third place at Hockley with Gordon in the oap's Open. Did you let Steve come in on any holes ?:LOL: Bet it was a long night for the others on your table.:eek:

Playing at Centurion tomorrow in the Rick Garg memorial trophy. Will be good to catch up with Karen and am sure it will be an emotional day.

We both played well - and had to relive a few memories for the next 4 hours - did i mention my 3 birdies and a par in the last 4 holes......:ROFLMAO:

Enjoy The Centurion and say hello to Karen - and try and sort out the 4 ball at Farnham inbetween your gardening and other retirement duties!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't normally play in two comps in a weekend but I fancied it so entered the Hinton Cup and played this morning. When I entered IG said it was Stableford, but it changed last minute to a Bogey comp - I had never played one before so didn't really know how it worked. But it meant I wasn't worried about the scoring and just tried to play as normal.

Didn't play quite as well as yesterday, but was never likely to really. I did still play really well, unfortunately made a hash of the last hole (the 12th again) to finish level on 0 - would have been one to the good otherwise. Frustrating that three times when I went to +1 (in bogey + is good and - is bad) I gave the shot straight back on the next hole. I'm not sure if Bogey rounds count for handicap (heard conflicting ideas on that) but if they do it will go down as a gross 84, possibly a counter or might not be. Will wait and see. Without the disaster last hole I'd have been looking at 82 and probably a fairer reflection of how I played, but them's the breaks.