I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Its was our ladies 36 hole championship, I have to say I played very well, 82 gross for the morning round, 83 for the afternoon. It wasn't without out faults 6 3 putts over the 2 rounds and one of 2 other errors but all in all I was very please with how I played and I did end up as champion,

That's great, well played Louise!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
... got revenge on the couple that knocked us out of the summer greensomes mixed pairs last year. We gave them 11 shots that time and took them to 20th hole, having been 3 down twice and 2 down standing on 17.
Today, we gave them 9 shots, but my partner and I putted like Gods and we were 3 up (and level gross) at the turn.
Went 4 up (and still level gross) after 11th and then, for whatever reason, I couldn't hit a bl**dy thing. At all! Plus they had 4 shot holes.
We ended up all square after 18 (??‍♂️) so extra holes for the second year running! Halved the 19th in par, halved the 20th in par (they had a shot), and on to 21st hole, uphill par 5. After a pair of poor drives, Debbie had left me 165 uphill into a 2 club wind. I hit a lovely 4 iron to 12 foot and that was that!
Great match, but she and I have agreed never to let a 4 shot lead slip again!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Only two (both members) out of 80 competitors in our main singles open strokeplay completion played to or better than their handicaps…and the field was comprised in the main (90%) of players with single figure or better handicaps. I must ask what was so tough.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played Saturday and once again had a shocker of a score. Got to the point now where I should stop calling them shockers since I seem to be shooting this score every time I go out just now.

This round was different though in that on the front 9 I felt I only hit 1 bad shot yet was +7 at the turn. Just a combination of things like 3 3 putts (all misses had the ball bobble and jump offline), landing an approach short to a front pin that bounced about 8 foot in the air and ran all the way to the back and left me with a 30 yard putt etc. I was hopeful going into the back 9 that my luck would change and if I kept hitting the ball ok something would happen.

On the 10th I hit my drive into the semi rough between the 10th and 7th holes. This is only about 1.5 inches tall, it's not like it's ankle, knee or waist high, it's just general first cut type of rough, I'd missed the fairway by about 10 yards. All 3 of us looked for it and couldn't find it. By this point the guys behind were on the tee so I just blobbed the hole. Head was gone after that, I ended up with 27 points.

On a sour, moaning note the greens at my place just now are the worst I've seen them in my 6 years here. Bare, patchy, bobbly and rock hard. Some of the rough area that are normally ankle/knee high are currently waist high and the first cut is just so thick. I nearly ran over the top of my ball on one hole were I missed the fairway by 2 yards as I couldn't see it from 5 feet away, I literally had to be on top of it to see it.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played Saturday and once again had a shocker of a score. Got to the point now where I should stop calling them shockers since I seem to be shooting this score every time I go out just now.

This round was different though in that on the front 9 I felt I only hit 1 bad shot yet was +7 at the turn. Just a combination of things like 3 3 putts (all misses had the ball bobble and jump offline), landing an approach short to a front pin that bounced about 8 foot in the air and ran all the way to the back and left me with a 30 yard putt etc. I was hopeful going into the back 9 that my luck would change and if I kept hitting the ball ok something would happen.

On the 10th I hit my drive into the semi rough between the 10th and 7th holes. This is only about 1.5 inches tall, it's not like it's ankle, knee or waist high, it's just general first cut type of rough, I'd missed the fairway by about 10 yards. All 3 of us looked for it and couldn't find it. By this point the guys behind were on the tee so I just blobbed the hole. Head was gone after that, I ended up with 27 points.

On a sour, moaning note the greens at my place just now are the worst I've seen them in my 6 years here. Bare, patchy, bobbly and rock hard. Some of the rough area that are normally ankle/knee high are currently waist high and the first cut is just so thick. I nearly ran over the top of my ball on one hole were I missed the fairway by 2 yards as I couldn't see it from 5 feet away, I literally had to be on top of it to see it.

I lost two balls on Saturday from drives. Both went slightly right of where they were meant to go, but were on a pretty straight trajectory, not wild slices by any means. I expected to find them easily enough, but never found either. The rough is very penal at the moment. I think it's the result of a freaky spring - there has been massive growth everywhere, I've never seen the plants and bushes in my garden so big, same for where we go dog walking. But they do need to actively address it.

As for the greens, you are right, they are rock hard. I've been taking a club less on approach shots, but the number which land short then run all the way to or even off the back is very frustrating. I assume they are watering regularly, but haven't seen any evidence of it.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
85 in very blustery/windy conditions was a good round.

I play off 12 so very happy to see my strokes gained driving was as down to scratch. ?

Not far off breaking 80. Then I can retire, ?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seniors open at Sherwood Forest this morning. I’ve played it once before and this just confirmed what a lovely course it is. It is tough and the greens were very quick and took some getting used to.

I don’t believe that I’ve found so many bunkers in one round before and after a slow start was very happy with 18pts on the front nine. Unfortunately, didn’t keep that going on the back as a number of heavy downpours arrived and ended up with 28.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Beaten by Silloth today. Three of us. Top score was 22 points and that wasn't me. But what an amazing course. Greens to die for. You really need a guide with you to stand a chance to get a score.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played at Manchester GC my favourite local course, I struggled on the greens, maybe a round too far after 6 rounds in 5 days, my concentration was a bit out.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played in our seniors comp today off the whites (29 points @ 95%, but would have got 31 with 100%). Tee to green was OK, but out of the blue recently my putting has gone from average to ??. I doubt if I would have done any worse today putting with the head of the putter in my hand and hitting the ball with the grip. I can recall six 3 putts … may have been more. Woeful!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Like a classic western.
Good Bad and the Ugly.
on our 13th I skied a drive which just reached the fairway. 265 yds to the green. The fourball in front were on the green. I thought there’s no chance I will be near them. 260 yards I hit it, wind assisted. Ended up 3 yds off the front edge. That one shot is why I go back.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Had the pleasure of playing West Hill GC on twilight this evening. Shot 98 and 37 points which for a hacker like me I am delighted with. Initial aim was to keep it under 100 and after the first 2-3 holes I wondered if that would be possible, the greens were lightning fast and the undulations were like nothing I've played so far in my (very) short golfing life. Drove terribly but long iron and approach play, was really on point finding only 1 bunker all round, and putting did improve.

As a venue, what a great place to play golf, not a blade of grass out of place and a really friendly reception before, during and after our round from the members.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went down my club for a quick back nine, wife came with me but only hit a few balls and walked the rest. I started off pretty awfully, largely I think because I did zero warm-up at all. Got an 8 on the 12th with two drops, sandwiched by three-putt bogeys on 11th & 13th. Double bogey on the 15th (long par 3) after missing the green about 35 yards right. Improved after that though and finished bogey, par, birdie for 42 blows/17 points. Hit nice pitches on the last two and struck some decent irons from about the 13th onwards, just annoyed that the putting was crap again.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Played Hoe Bridge tonight with a mate, 31 points so a bit of a come down both in terms of standard of play and standard of course compared to yesterday's experience at West Hill! Was fine for a pay and play course to be honest and there is quite a bit of variety compared to a straight up and down course. Didn't play well though!

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Latest round of club knockout comp. Both off 15 so a scratch match. I was 1 under my handicap after 9 and 1 down.

Managed to win the 18th hole to take it to a playoff, at which point I was 2 under my handicap.

My 2nd was in the greenside bunker and he hit a miraculous 3rd to give himself a really good look at par. Couldn't get inside his ball and just missed my par putt which he duly made.

Gutted to lose but at least it wasn't due to a poor performance.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Regular weekly get together with a few mates after work for nine holes. Hit it the best I have done in ages - one bogey, one birdie and pars at the rest for a steady knock. But for a three stab it would have been better, too.