I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Had a lovely late afternoon early evening 18. Played 8 by myself playing two balls then invited by two ball in front to join them - member I know and his guest. They continued to play their little match and I tagged along…very enjoyable as I played well, dropping only 3 shots in the 10 holes I played with them. And at last I am hitting decent high fading drives and hybrids - halle-bleedin-ljah...

But a curious thing happened on our 16th. 2nd shot just ran off back of green onto low bank covered in light rough - but tricky little chip back to a flag maybe 15ft away. I got it wrong. The ball popped almost straight up in the air, and as it dropped it collided with the club head following through and it was lobbed forward onto the green, finishing a foot away. Tap in for a par.

And yes, I am aware that these days there is no penalty for a clearly accidental double hit (is there a pen for deliberate one?) but it was weird how the ball dropped almost in slow motion and I hit it again towards the hole - and that was ok…I think.

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
Played last night in the midweek sweep. Was a really nice night with the odd shower thrown in but virtually no wind. Overall I was very happy with how I played and I finally put a round together after weeks of garbage.

Was +2 after 8 then had a bit of a wobble and was +5 for the next 4 holes before steadying and finishing +1 for the final 6. So 78, for a differential of 5.6 which was needed as I had an 80 drop off and next 2 to drop off are both 77's.

Felt I hit the ball well and didn't really hole anything of significance. Missed a 6 footer and a 10 footer for 2's which was my only annoyance of the night. Wouldn't have minded holing one of them to get my entry money back.

Watched a video the other day by the golf Chuckle Brothers on YouTube (me and my golf) about how feel isn't real with the driver and swinging at what feels like 50/60/70/80% actually doesn't lose a great deal of distance so tried that. Driver was under control again for the first time in a while (only 1 bad drive on 16 that I had to chop out of some trees) and with the fast and firm fairways I barely lost any yardage at all. Gave me something to think about.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watched a video the other day by the golf Chuckle Brothers on YouTube (me and my golf) about how feel isn't real with the driver and swinging at what feels like 50/60/70/80% actually doesn't lose a great deal of distance so tried that. Driver was under control again for the first time in a while (only 1 bad drive on 16 that I had to chop out of some trees) and with the fast and firm fairways I barely lost any yardage at all. Gave me something to think about.
I haven't watched that video yet but I saw it pop up. It is funny, my mate has just come back from a shoulder operation and had his first 'proper' round last weekend. He told us he could only do gentle half swings but he was going to try and get round. His 'gentle half swing' with the driver was only about 2 inches off the full backswing he normally makes, and he still got it out there as far as me (usually would outdrive me by 10-15 yards on a good one). I told him and he was surprised, he honestly felt like he was doing half a swing, haha.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played with the boys on Wednesday, hit it pretty well, with a couple of monster drives, thanks to a little tip ive been practicing of late. Was caddying for some Americans a few weeks ago ond one guy had a very short swing, but absolutely crushed the ball, was much longer than his PP, who all had good swings. He saw me watching and said I know what you are thinking! Turner out he was a former top American tennis player, and his downswing was a tennis forhand smash. He created a lot of lag and some impressive distance. Been trying it of late and it really does work, carried the fairway bunkers on 10, which I've not capable of unless it's downwind, put it past the fairway bunker on 13, which is 270 to carry and never get Anywhere near, not that I carried it but a drive of over 270 into a bit of a breeze. Also carried the fairway bunkers on 18, which left me a mid iron into the green, without any wind assistance.

Last edited:

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Absolute mad round

6 holeable birdie chances but also 5 1 pointers and 2 blobs leaving me with 34 points

Driver misbehaved on 4 holes and cost me big time

4 pulled drives into the cack

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How's this for a crazy card? -

3 blobs
4 1 pointers
2 2 pointers
9 3 pointers

35 points in total.

Played really well for the majority of the round, 19 points on the front 9 without making a putt of any note, but had a dreadful run of 3 blobs in 4 holes after the turn, not helped by putting it in the ditch on 10 and 13. Then from nowhere, the putter started working and finished with 4 net birdies in a row.

Talk about inconsistent! A definite case of "what could have been" today.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played my first match today that needed extra holes. Playing a 4BBB and was 1 down playing the 18th, however both opponents waged to hit their tee shots OOB. On the 3rd extra hole I had a 6 footer slightly uphill for the match, and then missed right!. Finally on the 6 extra hole (par 5) my PP was on the green in 3 and with the opponents duffing a few shots, they conceded. Was a 5 hour 30 minute round.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Just back from a roubd with the boss. Gave him six shots and he squared it off on the 18th after my garmin lagged and I hit a 5 iron into a flag that was only 150 yards away, watched it sail over the green and checked my watch and it had caught up to tell me the front of the green was only 144 yards away ?‍♂️.

So so round, driver and irons were hot and cold. Wedges were the best they've been all year, no doubt helped by the more receptive greens after a bit of rain recently, and although my lag putting was decent, I didnt hole anything over about 6ft.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Three of us played a scramble today in glorious sunshine.
Playing 'caps of 14, 19 and 25.
We went round in -5 ..........................happy with that and 'twas great fun.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played with the boys on Wednesday, hit it pretty well, with a couple of monster drives, thanks to a little tip ive been practicing of late. Was caddying foursomes Americans a few weeks ago ond one guy had a very short swing, but absolutely crushed the ball, was much longer than his PP, who all had good swings. He saw me watching and said I know what you ate thinking! Turner out he was a former top American tennis player, and his downswing was a tennis forhand smash. He created a lot of lag and some impressive distance. Been trying it of late and it really does work, carried the fairway bunkers on 10, which I've not capable of unless it's downwind, put it past the fairway bunker on 13, which is 270 to carry and never get Anywhere near, not that I carried it but a drive of over 270 into a bit of a breeze. Also carried the fairway bunkers on 18, which left me a mid iron into the green, without any wind assistance.
Sounds like he had very fast hands? And fast hands are a disaster for me...used to work but no longer,

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Away day yesterday at Celtic Manor.
A mate's daughter is working for Wales Golf as part of her Uni course down there and she got us on the Montgomerie course on a freebie.
She plays off 6 and is pretty useful on the greens, her brother is 16 and hits it a country mile...me and my mate are much more normal!
Course was in decent nick, softest course I've played in months due to lots of rain..more on this later..
My first time in a buggy too..always walked before today - and long may it stay that way.
Granted , the buggy was good for some of the hikes between holes but the faff of having to take 3 clubs with you to every shot was, quite frankly, a PITA..especially if the cart path was on one side of the hole and you were on the other...didn't enjoy that part..plus my Skycaddie had the 9s the wrong way round.
1st hole it was showing me something completely different...turned it off after 3 holes as it seemed to be getting confused..tried again after 9 and saw the 1st as the 10th..a quick switch back to the "1st" and it was there..as the 10th..:rolleyes:
The golf was nothing special, I dont tend to play well on a new course but managed 28 points.
Nice course with some nicely shaped holes and some tricky shots - enjoyed it.
The rain came on the 15th, just light to start but was hissing down by the 18th tee...just lining up the 2nd shots and a massive clap of thunder sent us back to the buggies and in.
Shame we didn't get to finish but a good day out...food in Monty's was excellent if a little pricey....

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
After a torrid last couple weeks almost falling out of love with the game I decided to have a few days lay off and played today with a couple of members off the forum for the first time.

2 blobs with 42 points scored.

I love golf again.

Hopefully todays success carries into tomorrows board comp ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
After a torrid last couple weeks almost falling out of love with the game I decided to have a few days lay off and played today with a couple of members off the forum for the first time.

2 blobs with 42 points scored.

I love golf again.

Hopefully todays success carries into tomorrows board comp ?

Noted.
It was a bit too breezy for your sombrero then.
Glad we weren't playing for money.;)

Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks again for hosting.
Great venue for a forum meet.
Others please take note.
See Midlands Link on Arrange A Game thread.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Noted.
It was a bit too breezy for your sombrero then.
Glad we weren't playing for money.;)

Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks again for hosting.
Great venue for a forum meet.
Others please take note.
See Midlands Link on Arrange A Game thread.

Haha cheers pal. There’s a lot of banter around my club in regards to my HC and I find it a huge compliment if I’m honest.

Should get a larger meet for the future. Great value, varied course, two hotels and slap bang in the centre of the country for excellent logistics. Easily whip round in just over 3 hours aswell.

By no means the easiest course either.

Thanks for coming and look forward to playing with you again ?

D

Deleted member 3432

Didn't play but went to the range and had a go at Toptracer 30, the new game on Toptracer.

It was going so well until I hoicked a drive left into the water....:ROFLMAO:

That shot alone added 3 to my running HI on the game....

Quite enjoyed it, a nice change to the par 3's I normally play at that range.

Saw that Matt Fryer had done it on his YT channel, at least I beat him.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A frustrating knock at The Drift along the road from me in Surrey. For first time since I have been working with new driver and new swing ‘method’ I nailed every drive. Level gross front 9 but 9 over back, and missed a 8ft eagle putt on last. And typically, the day my game off the tee really clicked, my short game deserted me, with so many mistakes on back 9 with short approaches and putting.

Never mind. If you’d offered me a 9 over with my CH of 9 on a new track I’d have taken it - and my HI will likely be cut by 0.2.

Onwards and Upwards (or should that be downwards)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Yesterday I took the hickories out in preparation for a match today, it was awful, especially the driving.
I didn't find one fairway, every drive was a huge slice and some ended up on adjacent fairways where I at least had a shot, lost several balls into the bargain. :(

So I set off for the match today with not very high hopes. On the way up I stopped off in Ilkestion to look at a set of coated shaft, dot face George Nicoll Pinsplitter irons, 1 to 8, but the grips would need a lot of work to get them playable, there was some kind of brown glue stuff oozing out from between the wraps of leather, I passed on them..

Drove on to the match which was at one of my favourite courses, Cavendish near Buxton, determined to enjoy it come what may.
The match was the British Golf Collectors Society (who I was playing for) vs The MacKenzie Society, 4BBB.

Totally different from yesterday, I was hitting my driver fairly straight and most clubs decently, didn't lose a ball and made some good pars. We won our match 2&1 and the team won 4-2, an excellent meal after rounded off a perfect day's golf. :D

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First 18 in 2 years at the new course. Managed to get round in about 3 1/2 hours, so the fitness is coming back.
The course itself is much improved since I last played it, the new GM and head greenkeeper have certainly worked some magic. The greens were excellent, slick and true, too good for me at times.
I didn't keep a score but only lost 1 ball ( on the first, first tee shot into the pond) but there were more positive s than negatives.
Week off now as we go on our first holiday on nearly 2 years. Onwards and upwards.??

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Played West Byfleet GC yesterday, 37 points for a 96 gross. Had 16 points on front 9 and 21 on the back 9.....and have come away disappointed Was comfortably the best round I've ever had off the tee but anything 100 yards in, inclusive of putting, was a sh*t show for 14 or so holes. Hit my 3 wood ~285 yards smack down the middle of the fairway on one of their long par 4's (it was very much downwind and took a very kind bounce), never done that before.....what a feeling! If my putting/approach play had been average I'd have been 4-5 shots better off

Estimated I have ~2-3 years to go on the waiting list unfortunately. Shame as a lovely course!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Waterton Park yesterday for the ‘English Open’ - Driverless as it snapped in transit from Spain, but can’t use that as an excuse for some pretty bad golf.
The youth played in it for the first time, 4th place just outside the prizes. Lovely course though, I’ll definitely play it again.