I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I thought the course was in pretty good nick … the greens were certainly good. Lots of sand in the bunkers, which is a bonus. The clubhouse is basic in that it is a pretty much a prefabricated building … no pro shop and only a basic bar. Didn’t try the food. However, I guess the lack of facilities is reflected in the price … the round only cost £24, so good value. Nothing there to tempt me back, but I’m glad I played it.

evemccc

Visit site
Just got back from a day at Rye with @evemccc . Played Jubilee in the morning and Old in the afternoon.

Like stepping back in time! Really enjoyable courses, great mix of holes. Tough enough on a nice day, can't imagine that with it blowing!!

Super course - thought about it a lot on the drive back. Rye is like a hybrid cross-between Western Gailes, Royal Aberdeen’s front 9, and Silloth on Solway - and overall is an excellent course and day of golf ??

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Super course - thought about it a lot on the drive back. Rye is like a hybrid cross-between Western Gailes, Royal Aberdeen’s front 9, and Silloth on Solway - and overall is an excellent course and day of golf ??
I once upset one of the guys I played RA with - though our host actually realised what I meant - when I said I felt a little disappointed about the back 9. But it was purely because the front 9 is just sooo good!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I once upset one of the guys I played RA with - though our host actually realised what I meant - when I said I felt a little disappointed about the back 9. But it was purely because the front 9 is just sooo good!

Certainly standing on the 11th tee you think you've jumped onto a different course! But only briefly!

And a word for how much fun the Jubilee Course is.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Birdied the first on Sunday, stupid 3 putt bogey on 3 to go back to level, cruised through 4 & 5, thought "I'm on for a low one here", then sloppy bogey on the easy 6th, tugged my drive on 7 and couldn't find it, poor double on 8 and a blob on 9 - I wasn't on for a low one! Hit the ball well on the back 9, but sloppy around the greens.

Must remember "one shot at a time".

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Bit of a breeze out there today, hit it well but couldn't hole a thing.
Warmed in on the back 9 and avoided any rain too, enjoyable game none the less.

Have to start making more of an effort to play though, today was my first game in a week.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Second place out of 48 entrants in the weekly stableford with a mere 37 points.
Got a 2. Could be about £8 for that along with whatever for second place. Pro-shop credit - Kerching!
Looks like 0.3 off the HI.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Played a club vets league match away today at the first club I joined when playing golf. Met some great people who were member 25 years ago . My partner and i won by winning the 18th. One of our opponents had been Kent Seniors Scratch Champion at 55, Kent Vets Scratch Champion at 60 and Kent over 70's Scratch Champion at 70 !

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Round 3 of our seniors summer matchplay (knockout) - playing a guy off 8. Missed a sitter on the first to go one down, and was convinced I was going 2 down on the second, but then he missed a sitter for the win. Then played pretty decent golf for the rest of the round - kept ball on the short grass for most tee-shots, played 3 stunning bunker shots, and sank a good few long putts. Ended up winning 3&2 (me 4 under handicap, him 2 over). Well chuffed as I went out out thinking I'd not really got much chance against him. Now in the quarter-final - against a chap I've already put out of our main summer knockouts. Hope he doesn't come back to bite me.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Stableford comp a few days ago, for ref CR 71.8, par 72.
Div 2 won with 34 points!
Div 1 won with 36 points.
Rough is up.
I've just about stopped moping ?
After lipping a short birdie attempt on 1, on the 2nd we lost sight of my ball - didn't think it was in but couldn't actually see it until walked 50 yards, was 3 inches directly behind the pin. Finally a comp 2!
Completed first nine with 20 points. First 3 holes on second nine I receive shots, and parred them all, first time have done that in a comp. Alas contrived to finish from there with only 34 points. ?
Index has dropped back into the nine point area after a years absence though.

4LEX

Visit site
Lost a mixed scratch knock out yesterday. Played really well tee to green but the putter let me down. FOUR 3 putts and numerous other lip outs. Shot a 76 and lost 3+2 to a 71. Gutted!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
27 holes for me and the youth yesterday, played the 9 hole Fountain Ridge course in the morning and the 18 hole Pine Valley course at WVGC in the afternoon, so we’ve covered all 3 courses in our brief trip back to the UK.
The boy gave himself an a eagle chance on the 12th in the afternoon. Perfect line off the tee with the driver, ran past the flag and stopped at the back of the green. As you can see, greens have been sanded, had the line but left it short. Two birdies in a week for him though, pretty solid golf for his age. https://youtube.com/shorts/_hANIPqteZU?feature=share

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forgot to mention yesterday, but on Tuesday night, my wife and I went to Foxhills in Surrey to meet a friend of ours who lives that way, and we played on their nine hole par 3 'Manor Course'. It was silly money for a short nine hole really (25 quid!) but she wanted to go there since it's a nice place. The holes varied in length from 60 to 160 - most of them being around 120-150. There were some severe slopes and tiny greens, which made hitting & holding some of the greens practically impossible. Weirdly, the holes were like twice the size of normal holes though. :unsure: The bunkers were flipping lethal and nightmares to get out of. All of which meant I managed 5 pars, 2 bogeys, but two 6s! (Gross 35.) Wife shot 52, she started poorly and warmed up later on, struck it better on the last 3 holes. Mate shot 42, although he was the only one to get a birdie.

Followed it by having dinner outside the club house as the sun was coming down. Lovely stuff.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played last night and yet another 85 which was only achieved due to going +1 for the last 6 holes, hitting 5/5 fairways, 5/6 GIR (missed one rolled off the back and failed to get up and down from about 9 yards) and missing birdie putts of 6,20,12,25 and 10 feet. Index is now up to 7.3 and horrible portions of golf continues. Hit some really good irons last night but short game has just deserted me. 39 putts and not a single up and down from the side of the green in 9 attempts with 3 3 putts thrown in for good measure. Also hit 2 balls into ponds, other than that the driver was actually working pretty well. Both ponds aren't miles offline either, both encroach into the fairways really.

At least the last 6 holes reminded me I can actually play this game and gives me a little bit of confidence for Saturday.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Midweek Stableford yesterday....started like a train and had 19 points after 8 holes including a nice 2 on the 5th.
After 11 holes I had 20 points:poop:
2 poor shots left me in impossible positions and both resulted in blobs....
After that I played ok again..no idea what that was all about..
Ended up with 36 points to finish 4th to the winner on 37..should have taken the win as I had 3 or 4 good birdie chances in the last 5 holes..
Picked up a few quid in the sweep and a few more for the 2.

Today I went out with a mate who's been struggling badly, just trying to help him out with course management and shot choices..
Went well and he ended up shooting 94 for 36 points....
I, however, was concentrating on his play rather than mine but ended up shooting a 6 over 77 for 40 points...
Sadly we weren't putting cards in but it was a most pleasing day.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Today I went out with a mate who's been struggling badly, just trying to help him out with course management and shot choices..
Went well and he ended up shooting 94 for 36 points....
I, however, was concentrating on his play rather than mine but ended up shooting a 6 over 77 for 40 points...
Sadly we weren't putting cards in but it was a most pleasing day.
Would you be allowed to put in cards if you were helping with. Course management and shot choices if you weren't acting as caddy?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Out for 10 holes this evening, ended up +1 gross and walked away very happy.

Duffed my first tee shot, but put the second shot on the green and holed a long putt for birdie. Other than that it was fairly straightforward and could have been 2 shots less as had a lip out and another that shaved the hole.

We’ve got a pro am on tomorrow too so the tees were all the way back and the flags weren’t in the easiest position, but I was hitting the ball very well which more than made up for it.

After a few bad rounds recently it feels like I’m hitting a good bit of form, so all is good in the world.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played Aberdovey today what a fantastic course loved every minute of it very fast greens, had hired clubs and hit a few duff drives but did have a 300 yard drive on the back nine, 12th par 3 thought I hit a great shot but never found ball, great wee hole though.

Played with two members which helped a lot and glorious sunshine with just a light breeze, definitely one of the best courses I’ve played.