I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Monthly Stableford…. not a board comp, but 90+ players.

Had 74/36 points, but one of those funny rounds where I wasn’t ever really in it for a great round, at +2 through 4, so I just plodded along and made a few birdies and dropped a few, had my usual double bogey on 12 but -1 through the last 5 and thought that was a good score.

2 people with 41 points in ?
In our midweek stableford division 2 was won with 46 points!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As it was mid-afternoon and very warm we just decided to play a casual knock off the yellows. Thought that was just as well as I started pretty poorly - doubles on the 1st and 5th and all bogeys in between. Normally driver is my best club but couldn't get it working at all, was either fading too much, or pulling it left when trying to correct it. First par at the 6th (but it's a par 3 where I don't get a shot). On the par 5 8th I finally hit a good drive and consequently parred it. Then the 9th...

Hit another good drive, had just over 200 yards to go so decided to go for it with the 5 wood - just had to make sure I faded it round the bunker that protects the front right. Hit it PERFECTLY and left myself a 6 foot putt for eagle! Just a little left to right and sank it for only my second ever eagle - and the first one I actually holed a putt for. Chuffed with that and it brought me up to 19 points for the front nine despite having not played particularly well.

Started the back nine par, bogey, double, then two pars before another double so a mixed bag. A couple of dodgy drives in that as well, was annoying that I couldn't get it working really. Bogey par bogey for a mediocre finish. Ended up shooting 81 and 37 points, which felt like a lot better than I deserved, but then an eagle obviously helps a lot. ? And in fairness when I think back, other than the driver being poor everything else was pretty decent. Am now back ahead of my mates who have had one eagle each. ?

Springveldt

Visit site
Very enjoyable game, and great company.

Chuffed with my 40 points, but gutted about 3 putting from 6 feet on 17, looks like that has cost me the win - 3 of us currently on 40, but the other 2 are beating me on countback. Not bad out of 117 returned scores, hopefully i can hang on for some 3rd place prize money, but still another 30 cards to be submitted!

Either way, should be a nice little cut in the morning.
It could have been worse, you could have fired 2 into the farmers field on 17 and then just walked the hole like me. ?

I had an adjusted 84 that makes it sound better than it actually was. Lost 5 balls in total, was 3 off the tee on 7 and 8 and would have been 5 off the tee on 17 if not a stableford comp. What was once the strength of my game has become a complete shambles.

Brilliant weather and probably needed the fresh air after having man-flu all week (latest lateral flow on Friday still negative) but I can blame the man-flu and the 3 hour sleep on the poor performance to at least keep kidding myself on that I can ply this stupid game.

Sorry for not catching you and @Lord Tyrion in the bar afterwards but felt it best to just go home and not spread whatever the hell I’ve had.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It could have been worse, you could have fired 2 into the farmers field on 17 and then just walked the hole like me. ?

I had an adjusted 84 that makes it sound better than it actually was. Lost 5 balls in total, was 3 off the tee on 7 and 8 and would have been 5 off the tee on 17 if not a stableford comp. What was once the strength of my game has become a complete shambles.

Brilliant weather and probably needed the fresh air after having man-flu all week (latest lateral flow on Friday still negative) but I can blame the man-flu and the 3 hour sleep on the poor performance to at least keep kidding myself on that I can ply this stupid game.

Sorry for not catching you and @Lord Tyrion in the bar afterwards but felt it best to just go home and not spread whatever the hell I’ve had.
17th, is that right you fired them? I'm still working out stuff like that.

If it makes you feel better I also joined you in losing one off the tee on the 8th. In fact, I lost more balls today, 3, than I have in the rest of the year combined at the club. (Easier when you don't it very far ?)

Silly, silly game.

Appreciate you not passing on your man flu by the way ?

Billabong_Bob

Visit site
Tried a totally new strategy today - took the ego out of my game and didn't miss a fairway!!
"Old Man Pat" Golf I call it, even though I'm 25 years younger.
95 at Tinsley Park Municipal in Sheffield - a net 70, best round of the year.
Too many 3 putts and a few poor chips, compensated by 4 pars and a birdie and only one blob.
Definitely something to be gained by keeping it in play and out of the woods, even if my length off the tee was down 20 or 30 yards.
Will persevere with the tactic at my home club on Tuesday.

Springveldt

Visit site
17th, is that right you fired them? I'm still working out stuff like that.

If it makes you feel better I also joined you in losing one off the tee on the 8th. In fact, I lost more balls today, 3, than I have in the rest of the year combined at the club. (Easier when you don't it very far ?)

Silly, silly game.

Appreciate you not passing on your man flu by the way ?
Yes, 17. Was hitting draws and hooks all day, got to 17 and hit 2 massive blocks right. Then on 18 went back to going left and was in the middle of the first fairway about 100 yards left of were I was aiming. Stupid game.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I feel your pain.

Not sure this will help, but I played yesterday with one of the seniors. He has been on fire this week, had 44 and 38 points in our comps. Last time I played with him was about a month ago, he was going thru a really rough patch, scoring in the mid 20s.

I asked him what he had changed in his game. His answer was "I took a couple of weeks off". Obviously cleared his head.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Got home just before 8 this morning and the heat is already on the rise.
If you've never been out at first light in summer then I think you're really missing something.
Glorious morning, not a cloud in the sky, sun just creeping over the hills, a light dew on the grass, foxes, deer, hares, all sorts of birds.....and not another soul in sight.
Played decently for 35 points..
People starting now are going to very crispy come lunchtime......

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The club champs is this weekend, but as the first round was played only on a Saturday morning I couldn’t play. But I did play in the afternoon to see how hard it had been set up. It wasn’t, yes the tees were as far back as they could put them, but the pins were very friendly and the greens were quite long and relatively slow.

The golf was annoyingly mediocre. My driving was a bit off so I was losing a bit of distance, I was striking my irons really well but suffering from having too many long irons in.

Tiredness set in on the back 9, and I turned an easy 80/81 into an 85 with a couple of sloppy doubles.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Went up to Tain today to play a scramble with some mates. Beautiful day, warm sunny and hardly any wind. Not a great start as we used my 3 drives on the first 3 holes?.
Also had to change balls on the 4th tee as the pro V1 I was using had 3 great big sets of chunks out of, as I'd used my new 58 for those shots, never seen a new ball scuff like this.
A great day good fun, but we failed to sink many putts so our 7 under gross won't be anywhere.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Club Championship 36 holes yesterday and I did :poop:.
I was 3 shots away from 8th place (13th place) so failed to make the scratch matchplay cup.

I've tried to come up with some positives.
A made a 2 to keep up the 50% per round hit rate and a few quid more proshop credit.
I found two playable balls while helping playing partners search for theirs; a Taylor Made TP and a Mizuno RB.
I found 4 pink castle tees and one big orange one. :)
Really glad to be not playing again until Thursday while weather is f-hot. (that's fairly hot ;))

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another typical me round 35 points but again so wasteful, 10 pars, but threw away 5 shots with 2 3 putts, 2 failed to get out of bunker and a missed birdie putt from inside 2 feet, frustrating doesnt come close

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played with Crow this afternoon at an open medal at Shirley GC. After a poor start with a nine on the par 5 2nd, the ball striking improved and hit some very nice shots. My putting was woeful as it has been for the past month or so and I must have three putted half the holes. Ended up with nett 79 around what was a very nice parkland course and thanks to Crow for suggesting it.

Crow was unlucky a couple of times. One par 5 had a nearest in 3 prize - he put a 150 yard iron to 4ft and the marker was just 18 ins from the hole. He then just missed out on a nearest the pin on a par 3 ending up outside the marker, but just 3ft away.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
As GG26 says above, played at Shirley GC today in their Open Medal.
Well done to GG26 on his 79 for 8th in division on what was a difficult scoring day looking at the results.

I started nicely with three pars but then under-clubbed my approach on the fourth leading to a double before teeing up on the 5th without knowing what shot I wanted to hit and proceeded to duff two balls into the pond just in front of the tee, hit five off the tee and ended up with a 10!

Didn't really recover after that and ended up on 98, nett 85. :eek:

Couldn't hole a putt all round, I can't remember anything over four feet going in.

Nice course though.

D

Deleted member 3432

Cracking morning at Silloth on Sunshine, warm without being too hot.

Quite a few visitors stopping off for a game on their way to the Open.

Played solidly and round in level par in conditions that were perfect for golf.

Most of the flags were in position's I've not seen them before, must be keeping away from the pin position's they will be using for the Carris next week.

Few more days of weather like this and it will start to get fiery out there.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Started at 7 with CVG and another mate...was getting hot by 8.30
A creditable 18 points on the front 9 with a quality 2 on the 8th..
Back 9 didn't start well with a 3 putt from 10 feet and that set the tone for the back 9
Just 14 back..I blame the heat a little..I don't do well when it gets hot, never liked heat or humidity despite being born in Hong-Kong with the temperature at 98°f and the humidity at 97%...
Flagging a little on the last 2 but 32 points was OK...

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played at lunchtime, was just going to do 9 but was enjoying the company so carried on and did 18. Bit of a slog on the back 9, but had a steady enough 35 points, not helped by a drive on 17 which landed on the left side of the fairway, but was never seen again. I’m convinced that hole eats balls.