I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played West Midlands GC today on our Senior Captain's away day, Stableford.
I had an up and down front nine for 18 points but started the back nine all down with three blobs. :(
Finished on 29 but I did find the island green 18th and made par and our team came third in the am/am.
(It was hot!)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played the Oxfordshire today in sweltering temperatures. Haven't played here for years. Really enjoyed it. Decent condition. Staying here tonight and off to Tadmarton Heath in the morning.

Really nice dinner and good service. My room is very good too, expectations exceeded!!

Had worse weeks!

Last edited:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
we had our last league match yesterday needing a win to top our group and progress to the next stages, I played pretty well and in fairness my opponent didn't have her best day and I won 7&6 the other 4 games all went to the 18th but happily we prevailed in most and won the match

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yesterday had our annual trip to Rickmansworth - an OK (ish) short Muni next to Moor Park - bunch of us get together but quite why there is anyone's guess . Not outstanding in any way and not convenient for most of us! Was a bit hot as you know - so 36 holes was a bit of a slog. But managed 34 pts in the a.m round and 38 in the p.m. So well pleased. Just a shame iI naffed up the 12th in both rounds.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played Hillsborough (Sheffield) yesterday. As I booked just myself I asked if any members around the same time would have me join them...and they sorted me to play with two lads - handily of same place in life - indeed one was all of a month older than me and like me recently retired - perfect :) Had a lovely knock with them and thoroughly enjoyed the course - and it has some fabulous views up into the Derbyshire moors. Thanks to the lad in the pro shop for sorting, and great friendly sevice in the clubhouse (and the air-con was very welcome).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yesterday had our annual trip to Rickmansworth - an OK (ish) short Muni next to Moor Park - bunch of us get together but quite why there is anyone's guess . Not outstanding in any way and not convenient for most of us! Was a bit hot as you know - so 36 holes was a bit of a slog. But managed 34 pts in the a.m round and 38 in the p.m. So well pleased. Just a shame iI naffed up the 12th in both rounds.
Good old Tricky Ricky. That 12th hole is a joke anyway. One of my mates didn't even realise it was a par 3 until like the 6th time we played there, haha. 200 yards directly over two trees is not an easy one. I usually over-fade it and have a hard time finding my ball down the grassy bank on the right, since you can't see it come down off the tee.

Still, worst hole has to the 15th. God knows how many times I've played there and I still don't know what the club is for that one. 170-180 yards but uphill and all carry because anything short is in the cabbage? My favourite memory was hitting 5 wood, a little bit big and a bit more right, bounced off the concrete path and went flying over the 16th tee. :ROFLMAO:

Billabong_Bob

Visit site
Played Hillsborough (Sheffield) yesterday. As I booked just myself I asked if any members around the same time would have me join them...and they sorted me to play with two lads - handily of same place in life - indeed one was all of a month older than me and like me recently retired - perfect :) Had a lovely knock with them and thoroughly enjoyed the course - and it has some fabulous views up into the Derbyshire moors. Thanks to the lad in the pro shop for sorting, and great friendly sevice in the clubhouse (and the air-con was very welcome).
Glad to hear you got a round in and enjoyed yourself. They're a decent set of Lads up there and the course is lovely.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1st time out as a senior today in one of their major comps. Birdied the 1st hole, and then had bogeys on 2, 4 and 5. 12 pars on the spin saw me sat at 2 over on the 18th tee. Worst tee shot of the day and I ended with a double. Played to my handicap which is always a good thing and I came 13th in the end out of a field of 70+

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
BRilliant day today with the seniors. Only a two ball and he had a buggy but toodled along next to me. We had a great laugh going round, both of us on fir for 9 holes then the wheels fell off and we both just knocked it round to close out with rubbish scores. I even got a bear hug at the end. Felt like a million dollars. He even slagged the rest of the old fogies off with his 22 points after 9 saying we'll need over 40 to be in the top ten!.......49 won it with 45 and 44....so he knew what he was talking about. Brilliant day.

oh and his name?.....Alexander Graham........you'll never believe this......Bell.

Brilliant day.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Just back from handicap team duty and after going 2 down through 2 thanks to an Eagle and a par on 1 and 2 for their guy we managed to win 7 on the spin to be 5 up after 9!

They then got 2 net birdies to bring it back to 3up before we put them to the sword on the 15th to win 4&3.

Pretty mental that no hole was halved until the 13th.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good old Tricky Ricky. That 12th hole is a joke anyway. One of my mates didn't even realise it was a par 3 until like the 6th time we played there, haha. 200 yards directly over two trees is not an easy one. I usually over-fade it and have a hard time finding my ball down the grassy bank on the right, since you can't see it come down off the tee.

Still, worst hole has to be the 15th. God knows how many times I've played there and I still don't know what the club is for that one. 170-180 yards but uphill and all carry because anything short is in the cabbage? My favourite memory was hitting 5 wood, a little bit big and a bit more right, bounced off the concrete path and went flying over the 16th tee. :ROFLMAO:
Normally I'd agree :) . But this year, out of the 2x3balls I played in we got 1 bogey, 4 pars and a birdie. It won't last...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well that is me just back at my MiLs after playing Stanedge GC (Chesterfield)...and my flabber has well and truly been gasted.

I cannot say more than it is one utterly superb 10 holer (play a different 7th between 9s). It would be easy for me to go way over the top in my praise - and maybe things swayed given the glorious day affording fabulous views - but I found both the condition and interest of the course truly exceptional - and the panoramic views,,, well...

The new owner of 2-3 yrs has clearly not only put a significant financial investment into the course with it's lovely little clubhouse and surrounds, but also a huge investment of love and attention to detail in the course. All that plus friendly and attentive welcome and service in the clubhouse

9.5/10 from me - maybe losing 0.5 as the practice range is next to the final hole and misdirected balls can stray across onto the final fairway (but a minor observation as it's the only place they have to put a range and a high fence would be unsightly). Do visit if in the area. I am am almost certain that you'll not regret it and the club and owner deserves the success they are surely due. I'll see if any of my photos came out and I'll post a couple or three.

Meanwhile planning to play again tomorrow - unless MiL finds jobs for me to do round the house :)

Posted pics...fairways look dry - and they are - but they were actually really nice to play off...and by the pics in the clubhouse it is clear that they are usually very green - it#'s NE Derbyshire after all...And the greens are as good as they look.
IMG-20220713-WA0000a.jpegIMG-20220713-WA0014a.jpegIMG-20220713-WA0010a.jpegIMG-20220713-WA0008a.jpeg
IMG-20220713-WA0016a.jpeg

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out early again to beat the heat....started on the 10th.
Level 2s to the 14th when a weak double set me back and a double on 17 after being in the trees off the tee..
Otherwise OK, 16 points...not good but not horrific.
Glorious birdie on the 4th, SI2 and its the 2nd hardest hole on the course....and followed it with a relatively decent double, if there is such a thing, after being plugged in a greenside bunker 3 inches from the top and on a steep slope...put every ounce of my being into it and still only moved it 5 feet but at least it was out.
Fairly standard from there on..18 points back so 34 and no change to the index.
I reckon our fairways are running faster than the greens right now and the greens ain't tardy..:oops:

AliMc

Visit site
Good game at Dunbar today, warm but very breezy, a few groups of Americans out (with caddies) think some of them found it a bit hard going in the wind tbh

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was due to tee off at 1 but some twunt arranged a zoom call for 1.30 so logged off early and tee’d off about 3.45 - infraction me it was hot!

Slapped in round it 38. Highlights were 2 drives over 300 yards, a 30 yard pitch hitting the pin and stopping dead for a tap in par and a 40ft 2 putt birdie on the last in front of an adoring crowd.

Tried a slightly different chipping/pitching set up and it seemed ok

D

Deleted member 3432

Monday, level par and very solid ball striking round.

Today, 4 lost balls, two way miss and hitting it off parts of the driver I've never used before....
Was hitting it that badly I had to check the driver face wasn't cracked ?

Not really helped by playing a dull parkland in a senior's open, not a fan of either.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
49 (19pts) round our front nine. Happy with that as 1) second time off the back tees and 2) first time using the G425 driver and hybrid. +5 after 6 holes and then went triple, double, triple to finish :cry:. A 3 ball (rightly) let me play through and I sh*t the bed :(

Still, initial impressions on new purchases are good and glad to continue getting over the psychology of playing off the back ones.